1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Yeah that .298 average 31 hr 104 RBI’s in his last full season are garbage numbers.

AznH-TownFan and raining threes like this.
  2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

He won't repeat just stop living in the past

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

STAHP feeding the troll or STAHP acknowledging the idiot. One or the other please.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Current $/war cost per million projections for most of Houston's roster:

Alvarez .16
    Tucker .17
    Framber .21
    Urquidy .43
    Straw .5
    Javier .86
    McCullers 2.32
    Correa 2.3
    Bregman 3.28
    Maldonado 3.89
    Castro 4
    Pressly 4.86
    Brantley 5.93
    Altuve 6.3
    Gurriel 7.78
    Greinke 8.05
    Verlander ~~~~

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

ignore works SO well on this site. One click and every “but his Batting Average!1!!...” comments disappear instantly

6. raining threes

It's better to have 8 bats in the .250 to .300 range.

Enjoy watching Straw/Castro.

Ask yourself this, what would Luhnow have done? I'm pretty sure since Luhnow let Castro go once he wouldn't have brought back Castro and his .200 BA.

BTW, this doesn't mean I have the Realmuto fantasy.

7. Major

Major Member

Lunhow went out and got Maldanado and his 0.200 BA. Let him go, and then went and traded for him again.

msn, The Beard, awc713 and 3 others like this.
  8. raining threes

As a backup when his other position players were in place.

Castro isn't nearly as good as Maldy.

9. Major

Major Member

Moving goalposts, I see. So Lunhow would, in fact, bring back a 0.200 BA backup catcher after letting him go. Just not in the exact circumstances of now. Why not add "in a pandemic on Jan 20th, 2021" to your criteria? Then you can ensure 100% Lunhow wouldn't do it.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  10. raining threes

So after he had his lineup in place is moving the goalposts?

Do you really think Luhnow would have brought Castro back? If so I totally disagree.

The reason he brought Maldy back is he had one of the best throwing arms in MLB and hit for power. Castro does none of these things.

But hey, technically you're right and that's what matters. Do like the moves and how Click has spent money so far this off-season? I don't.

A pitcher with declining velo an Castro is money that could have been spent to find another CF to go with Uncle Mike. I like that re-signing.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Most of the free agent catchers suck at hitting. Wilson Ramos is probably the best (outside of Realmuto) but Ramos can't defend at all. He is so bad now he really shouldn't even be behind the plate. He also had an awful 2020 with the bat. Chirinos is ancient now and was awful with the bat too.

The one guy I probably would have preferred is Avila, but he was also terrible last season and Castro was a little better with the bat. Flowers would have been in the ballpark with Castro, but I prefer having the left handed bat with Castro to platoon with Maldonado.

Castro has a career .749 OPS against RHP. That is how you utilize him.

Htown Legend likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I haven't been in this forum enough to realize there were many people still emphasizing batting average in 2021.

That's legitimately surprising to me.

13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You extend Correa in spring training after his arbitration hearing. You don't want the big AAV for the extension being on this year's luxury tax payroll.

texans1095 and desihooper like this.
  15. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

No reason not to get a deal done when Spring training starts.

BMoney and texans1095 like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Astros can definitely afford Correa. It’s just a matter of whether they think his asking price represents a good allocation of resources. I think a $200M/10yr deal (2021-2030, ages 27-36) is fair if they are looking to make him “an Astro for life”. But if he has a full, healthy, 6 fWAR season he could be looking at 20% more than that next offseason.

If Correa doesn’t sign an extension he is definitely taking a risk, considering how injury prone he has been. Any meaningful injury or prolonged slump could leave him 5th in the pecking order for next years free agent SS crop and looking at either a short term incentive laden deal or a lowball long term contract.

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I would love for him to be an Astro for life. When the scandal came out, he took on the leadership role while others seem to hide and that's not a knock on them. It wasn't an easy thing to deal with but Correa absolutely was a leader.

Correa, when healthy, is a monster. There's obviously a lot of risk factors on both sides. I like your figures a lot and I'm wondering if Correa would be willing to take deferred money to make it work.

18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I want Correa on the Astros for the rest of his career, then milling about the stadium in retirement and once and awhile joining the broadcast booth like Bagwell. He's an Astros legend and should be an Astros lifer.

20. conquistador#11

Crane....
    [​IMG]

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.