1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets players and their trade value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 21, 2021.

1. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

So...

we are building around Wall and Gordon...

move everything for max value and let these two tank commanders lead the charge

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

I bet a contender is going to throw at least a 1st rounder for PJ and his bird rights. Not sure on House, he's still fairly young and on paper a good player, but i think his value overall should still be more around a couple of 2nd rounders at best.

Also not sure McLemore has any value, but that's just me.

I don't think Charlotte is an option for Wall, they literally said no to Westbrook because they had LaMelo at the 3 in the draft, he's playing well too so, he's going to be their starting point guard soon.

I also have a difficult time thinking the Pelicans will trade for Wall, they have a young core, a young combo like Alexander Walker to develop....i just don't see the fit there, their cap situation is also pretty good, no reason for them to take on a brick like Wall.

Knicks and Magic are the teams i could see taking a flyer on Wall, both teams have poor players on the spot and Wall seems like a good fit for Thibs and Clifford.

fattz, D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  3. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

From what I read at the time, we were asking for some combination of that 3rd pick and/or a couple of their young pieces for Russ. This John Wall trade would strictly be swapping bad contracts for one another. Except Charlotte is still getting the best player in the trade, when healthy. MJ is known to make weird win-now moves (Gordon Hayward), so it’s not impossible. Wall would be a good mentor for Ball.

Like Charlotte, the Pelicans make weird win-now moves. Like hiring Stan and trading for Steven Adams at $30M and then giving him an extension on top of that. They could lose Lonzo to RFA this summer, so again, it’s not impossible. They want to make the playoffs, and a Wall-Reddick-Ingram-Zion core should do it.

I agree with you on the Knicks and Magic. Only thing is, they don’t have any atrocious contracts for us to take back, so we’d have to attach multiple assets.

4. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I actually think Gordon can easily be moved if we attach House with him. A Gordon + House package is appealing to any playoff team.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

a oft injured 30% shooter on a not appealing contract and a player who can't stay on the floor with off court issues. Yeah playoff teams are lining up for that

justtxyank likes this.
  6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

We should not trade Wood.

D-rock likes this.
  7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

All these injuries are killing these guys' value. No one wants to play the "well we'd be good if we were all healthy" game. They'd want to see that these guys can actually play before offering up anything of value.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The problem(s) with Wall to any of those teams:

1) At nearly $50m per year the next two years he is TOUGH to build a team around. You are basically put yourself against the cap with him plus any other salary. If you are a team like New Orleans or Charlotte that fancy themselves playoff teams, you are basically guaranteeing that you have to go into the luxury tax if you bring him on.

2) His upside as a player is just not that great relative to #1. He's a good player, but he's not a great player. So do you lock yourself into him?

3) As a player, even at his best, he needs the ball or he doesn't offer much value. At his age, contract and declining skill, he's not going to be the best player on a playoff team and if he's not the best player on your team (as a ball handler) it's not clear to me that he's a fit. And then you go back to #1.

Why would any non-contender want him? Why would any contender want to add him at $45-$50m per year to not be their best player?

D-rock, jordnnnn and YOLO like this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wow, really?

This season hasn't even finished yet. Let alone 2027. What position did the Nets finish 2022 through 2027?

Those unprotected picks are just about our most valuable asset right now. Excellent chance at least one of them is in the lottery

10. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Reminder: we’re talking about Charlotte, Orlando, New Orleans, and the Knicks here.

The cap space argument is overblown. These are teams never attract stars in free agency. What star is signing there in the next 2-3 years?

All four teams are also too stubborn to tank to get a star though the draft. So we often see teams like this settle on B level stars all the time. Like I mentioned before, they also make strange ‘win-now and push for the 8th seed’ moves. So I don’t think them taking a flier on John Wall is all that unrealistic — especially if it just takes swapping bad contracts.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To be fair, some of those franchises are getting to the stage they are just happy to make the playoffs, it has been a while.

Charlotte locked themselves in to Hayward. Attracting true max free agents is tough for them. If they could get Wall and Boogie for Rozier, (salary match - Zeller?) and a low prospect(McDaniels or Richards) and/or Lotto protected pick, then that might be a franchise establishing step for them.
    It wouldn't make them good, but it would make them visible, and the statement is they are in the early stages of becoming a playoff team. By the time Ball is ready to be paid, Wall is expiring and there is a chance they could convince Ball to take the cash and not flee to the bright lights in LA or NY

Mr Woods likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is the same assumption people wanted to use for westbrick and none of these teams were remotely interested. and none of these teams are going to want wall

Charlotte will give the keys to lamelo within the next year or so.
    Orlando is extremely high on Cole Anthony as their future at guard
    NO already has there guys they're moving forward with
    Knicks well hate to say it, but for the short time being they've halted a ton of the silly overpaid long term deals that hinders any type of hope for a future that they were known for years ago

Nook likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Our direction depends on what we can get for Dipo, Tucker, and EGo. I think we are bad enough/inconsistent enough to have a real shot at getting lucky (new draft odds) this year.

I think resigning Dipo would be mistake even though I can see the angle in signing him to a decent contract to then try and flip. As I've said many times elsewhere, I think the stars have aligned (after a star just left) to try our luck in acquiring talent through high draft picks.

14. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Man. Stop the BS. I know it’s fun to trash our players, but let’s not undervalue them either.

This is the first time House has missed this many games. And what he does on the court offsets any of his “issues”. Name me a legit shooter that can defend 1-4, athletic enough to score in transition and off closeouts, and has a dirt cheap contract on top of that. I’ll wait.

Even Eric Gordon is still putting up 16 off the bench and plays elite perimeter defense. Let’s not act like he makes $30M.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Wall
    - negative trade value at this point .

Gordon
    - depends on the team and his health going forward. His contract isnt too bad, 18 and 19 the next two years and then non guaranteed. If we take back a worse contract then he's worth a 1st and an early 2nd . But if we break him up into expirings ( or expiring sooner) i doubt we get much in the way of assets

House
    - i think nada , good contract , but COVID and immaturity questions before Covid. Before the bubble he was one of our better assets, but i think his value is zinch now

Nwaba
    - prolly nothing , if he can continue to play this well and gain a little shooting streak then i think we could flip him for a future 2nd

Maclemore
    - i think a 2nd , possibly even a late first .. true dead-eye shooter .. yes the D is questionable , but if a contender needs a 40% 3pt shooter , hes available and his contract is cheap .

Wood
    - tricky to say. A first ? and maybe younger players ? Good contract , but a big man who hasnt shown he can be the 3rd or 4th best player on a contender. I dont think we move him this year.

Oladipo
    - the big one , depends on how he plays the next month. If his defense looks there he is probably worth 2 firsts or equivalent young players . Expiring contract , bird rights if they want to keep. Depends on teams that need him . Can we create a little biding war ?

PJ
    -a first . Expiring , old , but if hes got it on a given night he can be very effective.

Tate
    - tbd , prolly dont wanna move him this year . But hes the equivalent of house before the bubble. I think you could find a team willing to give up a 20-30 first for him .. i dont think we do that.

Sterling
    - late second ( could play his way up in value if his shooting stays hot)

Cousins & Clemons
    - good trade filler

Exum
    - depends on how much a team needs salary relief

not gonna talk about the rest

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

what part of the post is BS. it's all facts. It's not undervaluing. it's you with goggles on. stop it

you act like house is some gem. he isn't. he could be free and the post applies. His off court issues date all the way back to his college days. It's nothing new. On the court he still has yet to prove he can be a consistent contributor for a full year. we actually just saw one last night. Mikal Bridges

Gordon is shooting at abysmal numbers. And a walking injury every single year. he's being paid to knock those down at least at a respectable rate. he hasn't for the last year plus. ok just because he makes nearly $20 mil a year, it's ok. once again stop it

you know what's bs, is the silly thought that playoff teams are lining up for a package of both of them

#56 YOLO, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    fattz likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Gordon Hayward is a better player than John Wall.

There is no evidence that John Wall at $45m to $50m a year helps you get into the playoffs. Like that's what people are missing. It's not JUST that his contract is terrible, it's that it's hard to build a roster with that kind of payroll in one guy so you need that guy to be a star. John Wall isn't that anymore.

18. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I’m not sitting here saying we can trade Gordon and House for Bradley Beal. I’m not expecting any assets in return here, so the goggles reference makes no sense.

Something like:

Memphis: Gordon, House

Houston: Gorgui Dieng ($17M expiring)

This is all I’m asking for, and is not one bit unrealistic.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Need to trade him to team with another shitty contract on the books.

Pistons with Blake.

Cavs with Love.

Trick is how will Stone ensure Rockets receive some benefit (picks or players) from such a shitty swap.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

People are waiting to tear down that Wall contract