1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Castro Signed

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Jan 21, 2021.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

Now we need one more starter and a CF to fill the Springers roll.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

But Castro has an all-star appearance :p

raining threes and Nook like this.
  3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the last two signings were at the top end of the market, but this didn't seem so bad to me.

It's a bit of a tricky situation with Machete pencilled in at starter -- I imagine a lot of those guys would be willing to sign cheap one year deal as a "Prove it" contract and re-enter in a hopefully better free agency market... but they'd probably prioritize teams with someone less entrenched than Maldonado.

In 2022, the Astros will at least have Castro locked in as a half platoon, and then can either re-sign Maldonado, or sign one of these type of guys on a year to year deal. By then, we'll also have a clearer idea if Korey Lee is in the plans or not.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. raining threes

Why would you want Castro locked in?

6. raining threes

Would you rather have Joseph and Stubb's playing 60 games with say Profar in CF for 120 and say Walker as a SP? Or would you rather have Straw starting 120 games in CF and sign a relief pitcher?

No Worries likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I suppose I can tolerate Castro as a backup. I was celebrating when Castro went to play elsewhere. Pretty much the same for Jake. But now, we would be happy to have them on the team? Two black holes on offense and inning killers if you asked me. Oh man, how the times have changed.

8. msn

msn Member

I love seeing all this hand-wringing and moaning about the Astros' roster moves again. It's been so damned long. It's so refreshing to get back to this, and away from trash cans, corona, and trump.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If the pandemic gets better this year the market for a catcher might be more expensive next off season. Castro might get 5-6 million in the open market. After his 2019 season, the Angels gave Castro 6.85 million for 2020. 3.5 million per year could be a bargain, and the Astros are hoping the short season was a fluke and he can return to his 2019 form. Having some costs locked in will also help the Astros decide other moves. Maybe I would have liked Avila but he was actually worse than Castro at the plate in 2020.

Next offseason is also a better catcher's market for the Astros. They were never going to spend on Realmuto or McCann with all the other holes they had this year. Next year they might be able to spend real money on a catcher. Salvador Perez will be a free agent for instance. Here is the list of free agents for next year...

Tucker Barnhart (31) — $7.5MM club option ($500K buyout)
    Welington Castillo (35)
    Travis d’Arnaud (33)
    Yan Gomes (34)
    Sandy Leon (33)
    Martin Maldonado (35)
    Roberto Perez (33) — $7MM club option ($450K buyout)
    Salvador Perez (32)
    Manny Pina (34)
    Buster Posey (35) — $22MM club option ($3MM buyout)
    Kurt Suzuki (38)
    Christian Vazquez (31) — $7MM club option ($250K buyout)
    Mike Zunino (31) – club option ($1MM buyout)

I'd much rather spend significant money on a catcher next offseason than the trash that is available this year outside of Realmuto and McCann which weren't in the budget.

10. raining threes

For the record, I wasn't expecting a Realmuto type signing. Castro does suck though and I would have spent the Castro,Baez money on an upgrade for CF.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You had to spend something on the backup catcher spot. Garneau was so brutal last year and he barely played in the shortened season. With a full 162 games the backup catcher would be more exposed. Stubbs is really the insurance 3rd catcher. He has shown nothing that would allow you to not add another catcher. Also, I noted last week that I hoped that Suzuki signing for only 1.5 million would crater the catcher market. Of course, the next day he comes out and says he had bigger offers but wanted to play for the Angels.

I don't love the Castro or Baez deals, but I want to see how the rest of those markets shake out. If Avila signs for 2.5 million or Flowers signs for 2 million or less I will be a little angry. On the Baez deal I don't even know who to compare him to. Maybe Shane Greene or Mark Melancon. I view Baez as a more expensive version of Hector Rondon.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Ugh. Did not like as a starter, but good depth as a backup I guess.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But if you did that, you'd be stuck with someone MUCH worse backing up Maldonado for the entire season with no help coming.

In CF, you can simply push Leon to the bigs early to back up placeholders like Straw and if Straw is a temporary hole in the batting order, that's fine, you only have one on the entire team.

Straw might not have a great bat, but he's a weapon on the bases when he gets on. Guys like Garneau and Stubbs are complete dumpster fires at the plate and aren't terribly good behind it.

I'd much rather they spend on pitching than going after a temporary placeholder in the outfield.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

#34 J.R., Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I was hoping Mark Appel came with him. :)

16. raining threes

I would either wait it out and sign a backup C at a cheaper price or trade for a young guy that's stuck in the minors. Bottom line is Castro sucks and always has except for 1 season.

Bathroom break alert when Castro is at bat.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Castro's lifetime OPS and OPS+ are higher than Maldonado's

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. raining threes

If you take into account his walks. Also take into account his watching strik three right down the middle.

Atleast Maldy will swing the bat and hit the ball hard. Cant say that about Castro.

20. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

You absolutely can say that Castro hits the ball hard. His hard hit percentage last year was 55% (Maldonado was at 26.7). Also his EV was 92.7 while Maldonado was at 86.1. Is watching strike three worse than a swinging strike three? Both had a K rate above 30%: Castro at 35.9, Maldonado at 30.9. Neither is impressive in my opinion.