1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Centerfield Solutions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Landry's Tooth, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

I was thinking about what to do with the money saved from Springer leaving and assuming the Astros are willing to go up to the tax limit it would leave them around 25-30 million.

I think that money could be better spent on catching position with Realmuto and finding an outfielder on the cheap to play some centerfield...

I did some screening and an interesting name came up that seems like a low cost gamble...

Harold Ramirez with Miami Marlins

Here's what I like:

1) He barely played for them in 2020 mostly blocked at AAA (keeps price down)
    2) He just turned 26 (not a 20-22 year old needing development with higher trade cost)
    3) He has limited MLB exposure, in his only season he had a .728 OPS in 445 PAs; which isn't a disaster, just mediocre
    4) He has limited exposure at centerfield but the metrics look good. He has a range factor/9 innings of 2.30 in centerfield for his career at all levels and a 98.2% fldg%.

For comparison, Kevin Keirmaier has a range factor of 2.76 and fld% of 98.9% as a centerfielder in his career. Springer is 2.29 range factor per 9 innings and 98.9% fldg% for his career in centerfield. So roughly he's about a George Springer in centerfield in terms of those factors.

I think the guy could reasonably do this hitting 9th in our lineup with the protection of the top of the lineup behind him:

.270 BA
    .350 OB%
    .450 SLG%
    .800 OPS
    15 stolen bases

If he costs a couple of low level prospects I don't see much of a downside to bring him in to compete for the job... if he's average with solid defense it's a huge benefit because he's cheap on the payroll as a stop gap...

raining threes likes this.
  2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Searched google for harold ramizer center field and this was in the first article....

Ramirez showed flaws, of course. He would be a better run producer if he elevated the ball more consistently (57.4 GB%). And his defense...woof. The Marlins, lacking any competent alternatives, tried him in center field for a few weeks. His lack of instincts and technique caused too many misplays, which forced a move to the outfield corners, and even there, metrics such as Defensive Runs Saved and Outs Above Average and the good ol’ eye test agree that he was a liability.

3. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Realmuto won't happen since the Astros just signed Castro today. I think the Astros will look for a cheap, short term solution for CF until Leon is ready.

Random question: I can't remember but does Tucker have experience playing CF? If we could use him in CF then there are a ton of corner OF options on the market right now.

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

MARISNICK, Jake.

The Beard, cdastros and Radricky like this.
  5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Kyle Tucker had plenty of adventures playing RF last season. Right now, he’s not good enough defensively to be an everyday centerfielder, especially considering the outfield dimensions of Minute Maid Park.

6. Landry's Tooth

Fair point on Ramirez, the numbers don't tell the whole story. That being said the comment sounds somewhat subjective and could refer to a bad stretch...

If the cost is low enough i see no downside for depth...

I agree on catcher. I just saw castro signing right after i posted...

All i want is good defense and a solid bat at a low cost.... as long as we aren't putting a hole in the lineup or risking our defense I'm good.... someone like manuel margot maybe? He's streaky and lacks power but he can steal some bases and play some defense...

Nook and raining threes like this.
  7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so bradley's back to red sox?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Solutions, grouped (limited to realistically available players):

Tier 1 (Very good hitters who can handle CF): Andrew Benintendi, Starling Marte, Ketel Marte, Joey Gallo, Ian Happ, Whit Merrifield
    Tier 2 (Others): Jackie Bradley Jr., Joc Pederson, Austin Hays, Anthony Santander, Jacoby Jones
    Tier 3 (Versatile upside players): Jurickson Profar, Enrique Hernandez, Jon Villar, Cesar Hernandez, Danny Santana
    Tier 4 (Veterans): Kevin Pillar, Charlie Blackmon, Brett Gardner, Kevin Kiermaier, Lorenzo Cain
    Tier 5 (Backups): Jake Marisnick, Cameron Maybin, Brian Goodwin, Jon Jay, Jarrod Dyson
    Tier 6 (Potentially underrated prospects): Stuart Fairchild, Ryan McKenna, Marcus Wilson, Blake Rutherford, Daniel Johnson, Yonathan Daza, Jameson Hannah, Daniel Montano, Akil Baddoo, Yusniel Diaz, Brewer Hicklen, DJ Peters, Jesus Sanchez, Monte Harrison, Victor Mesa, Corey Ray, Tyrone Taylor, Gilberto Celestino, Skye Bolt, Lazaro Armenteros, Buddy Reed, Mickey Moniak, Travis Swaggerty, Jorge Ona, Braden Bishop, Luis Alexander Basabe, Josh Lowe, Steele Walker
    Tier 7 (Internal options): Myles Straw, Chas McCormick, Jose Siri, Ronnie Dawson, Jacob Meyers, Pedro Leon

#8 Snake Diggit, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I wouldn’t rule it out. He’s certainly as fast as Springer.

10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d love a short term deal on Bradley Jr., Pillar, Profar. Would be huge depth if Pedro Leon can be ready by August/September. Could platoon Brantley and Alvarez at DH more and keep them fresh.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

For me it's all about value/cost and I trust Click until he proves otherwise. With that being a giant unknown, I like the guys in Tier 3 because i like the idea of getting a versatile player who can fill in elsewhere either this season (if Leon is ready sooner than expected) or next season (if Correa leaves and they don't have the resources to bring in a star infielder to replace him). Each of Profar, Villar, E Hernandez, C Hernandez, and Santana have 3+ war upside if things break right for them and only Profar should command a significant contract. You could include a few other free agents in this list if you thing they could play CF (Semien, Wong, La Stella).

BHannes2BHonest and Nook like this.
  12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I would think we could afford to at least try it out. If Tucker can man center then there are so many more options at OF that the Stros could look into.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

If Berkman or a 38 year old Biggio did it...

14. Landry's Tooth

They did it, but did they do it well?

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Mike Yastrzemski

Make it happen Clicker

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What do you think it would take to get him.

17. raining threes

Guys off of that list I like are

1. Pederson
    2. Profar
    3. Benintendi
    4. Santander (Dont know about his defense and is he under contract? What would it take to get him.)
    5. Santana

I know nothing about the prospects, but of the guys you listed and who do you like? What would it take to acquire your guys in trade theoretically. IYO

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Too much. Yazstrzemski is still not even in arbitration. He's under team control until age 34 which is perfect because that is when you want to be done with a player.

Would probably want a package built around Javier or Tucker. So it isn't happening.

I would give up Whitley and Pena for him.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do not know very much at all about all those prospects other than they are close to mlb ready, capable of playing CF, and have some offensive upside. Evaluating that list would be where Click would earn his check. None of them are all that highly rated outside of maybe Jesus Sanchez. I think any of them could probably be had for a decent pitching prospect like Luis Garcia or Bryan Abreu, and some of the may be available for less.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we already have that in straw just without the big arm we need someone that can hit.