1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I really think all the media negativity, is because the firing of Amy Palcic, she was really loved by all the people in the media, and also if the rumors were true that she was fired because she had different political views than the owner and Jack (who I think is the one that said to Cal to fire her) even more people are against him, before she was fired, nobody mentioned the Texans, and nobody attacked Jack Easterby, the Hopkins trade, was on BOB, but nobody in the national media blamed Easterby, now that she got fired, everyone talks about how evil is Jack (and its true but only a few in Houston knew that)
    Especially Adam Schefter he was so mad that she got fired, and now he is saying Watson is not going to take a snap with the Texans again, but are reports Cal and Deshaun are talking and could fix things.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Allen's season wasn't as impressive.

Watson has the 5th highest era adjusted career passer rating in NFL history.

Also Steve Young, the ultimate efficient qb, is the only qb higher than Watson in career era adjusted yards per attempt who is in the top 15 in era adjusted career completion rate.

These are career stats. And they are era adjusted to account for inflated wb numbers in the present.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Allen’s season was at minimum as impressive.
    Passer rating is one stat, and where Watson excelled at was critical points in passer rating. YPA and Accuracy.
    Could throw out QBR to counter passer rating but it’s just one stat too.

Watson is elite, he’s not Uber elite. Watson and Allen would probably have the same exact value on the open market.

And the arguments on this board are just too inconsistent. The same stats you are promoting-completion percentage, YPA and Passer rating. Tannehill was better than Watson this year in 2019. Yet, Tannehill is a scrub. It’s just too much goalpost moving to push Deshaun higher than he should be. That’s not fair to him, not fair to his peers either.
    Can have opinions on your preference, but stats and results speak for themselves.

4. fchowd0311

No one says Tannehill is a scrub and the gap between them is based on Watson doing these things at 22-25 years of age vs a qb finding his niche later in life and doing it at 30+ years of age. Tanehill is easily a top 10 qb in the league.

Also Tannehill's impressive efficiency last season was also a product of extremely low volume. What Watson did this season is equivalent of a NBA player averaging 30 ppg on 65% ts while what Tannehill did last season was equivalent of someone averaging 20 ppg on 67% ts.

5. conquistador#11

Could be Amy is the reason that the national media is so involved not sure though.

But we can search the Dhop thread in this forum and people were poking fun at the 'baby mamas in the locker room' comment and pointing to the chaplain and Bob. We didn't know the name of the Chaplain but that face you know it when you see it.
    And yesterday Michael Irvin basically confirmed that the name 'easterby' was used by D-hop in the conversation they had.

I think The dhop trade painted a target on easterby.
    It's one thing to be "Texans worthy" like Schaubie used to say. But what they're doing now is closer to "Heaven's Gate" and Cal is all in. From the words of Dre and Watson's final presser, what the 'character coach' is doing is the opposite of character.

Could Amy be one of the sources for the S.I articles? Can't wait for the 30 for 30.
    In a perfect world: fire easterby, get rid of Cal and Deshaun's agent. All 3 are bad in their own way. Deshaun's agent, Mulugheta pulled a lot of crap with the Jaguars forcing the Ramsey trade. He thinks he is Arli$$ Michaels.

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you weren’t in any of those discussions.
    It’s pretty common here to knock players that perform similarly to Watson and try to pump him up to players that are significantly better than him.
    Kinda like what you’re doing with Allen.

And Tannehill kept up the efficiency this year. But it’s only because he has elite run game.

Just saying the goalposts move a lot.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

No he didn't keep up his efficiency. He dropped to 65% completion rate and below 8 yards per attempt. Those are above average but not elite efficiency numbers like Tannehill did last season on much lower volume.

I understand that this is a Houston sports forum and yes posters are going to unnecessarily drag down rival qbs that compete with Watson. But ya, I'll vehemently disagree with anyone with thinks Tannehill is anywhere close to a scrub. He's a legit top 10 qb in the league and with the right pieces around him could probably carry a team to a SB.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Just below 8 ypa, which is elite. 12 games in 2019 at 9.6 is stupid.

16 games at 8.9 is stupid.
    YPA isn’t a stat that I’m overly impressed by. Anything over 7.5 is elite. Anything under 7 is where I start to say it’s an issue (in today’s game)
    Completion percentage,TD-Int ratio, bad throw percentages more important to me.

9. fchowd0311

It's all about context. Air yards per attempt in conjunction with completion rates says a lot as there is a strong inverse statistical correlation between air yards and completion rates. A QB that strongly goes against that statistical correlation(high completion rate and high air yards per attempt) says a lot.

Qbs get to inflate their completion rates by throwing check downs and short dinkers. Watson doesn't do that much.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Which also has to do with the systems that are being ran.
    It wasn’t like he was some statistical outlier for the season. The amount of QBs with high completion percentage and elite YPA was crazy.
    There’s also some systems variables, they literally don’t throw to their backs. I wish they would. And game scenarios that lead to throwing.
    None of that should take away from what he did, it was elite. But there’s also a handful of players in or at his level of play. And a couple that stand out way above that group.

11. showa13

showa13 Member

Who is not thinking objectively? I never brought down was Allen has done, to me he's the 3rd best QB in the AFC right now. All I said was Deshaun is better than Josh Allen, it seems like you think that's some crazy idea but Deshaun similar/better stats with no help around him. The reason you get so much pushback is you consistently try to bring Deshaun down. No he's not Rodgers or Mahomes, no one is disagreeing with you. But with a negative value run game, very inconsistent WR/TE/OL play, one of the worst defenses of the modern NFL era, and BoB as his coach, Deshaun still put up uber elite level numbers. This is why you get pushback, Deshaun is handicapped by his surrounding yet still plays at an elite level. This is why Josh Allen has elevated himself, as his run game disappeared late in the season and his defense has regressed yet he's still putting up great numbers. Hence why I have him 3rd. In the NFL the situation you are in matters, Deshaun has BY FAR the worst situation for an elite QB, and I don't see why saying he's right behind Mahomes and Rodgers cause of his play despite his situation is so blasphemous. If Josh Allen was on the Chiefs they'd be just as good, same as Deshaun.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Saying right behind Mahomes and Rodgers is different than small gap or just as good.

There is a larger gap between those two and Watson than there is Watson to Allen.

And no, I don’t think Watson or Allen would be doing as good as Mahomes if positions were swapped.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Watson has a worse OL, worse coaching, worse weapons, yet a better YPA/Completion %.

I think you are wrong.

16. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

If Watson "demands" for a trade call his bluff, make him sit out like Leveon. What's the worse that can happen? Free agents wouldn't want to come here? With all this crap being said about Cal and Jack free agents wouldn't want to come here anyways.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Do you guys look at actual numbers as a whole? YPA and Completion percentage don’t mean you’re the best in the league lol.

And again, Watson didn’t make the leap he did this year by himself. Whether that’s help from Kelly or whoever, it’s not by himself.

Also, outside of Diggs, what do the Bills have? Bottom third of the league in rushing, with one of the better rushing QBs in the league.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Watson was pissed off about Cal's statement about how he learned about Watson being unhappy and they would speak after he returned from vacation. He probably apologized about that too hopefully.

There is time to get this right. Hiring Eric B is the no-brainer & I'm hoping that they're waiting after the Chiefs game to announce.

joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

They major key will be if and how Caserio and Eric B can work together.

But I feel like Eric B has been on Caserio radar...we didn’t interview him till Caserio was hired. And Caserio went thru the trouble to find a loophole with the league rules which allowed us to interview him sooner.

I seriously doubt Caserio wants his first hire to be Leslie Frazier.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

When I poured it, I gave her a dose, said she was already hooked
    If you always there for me, that's a rеally good look
    I’m changin' up your salary 'cause I'm gettin' to know you
    Tell mе your availability, I want all of you
    If it's like that, then it's like that, got you lightin' up like lightning
    I stack it up, get feisty, can’t sabotage it or ice it
    You gon’ tell the world they flawed, thankful for when you nosy
    You're a good girl but you’re naughty, don't you never miss out on Pilates
    I let you stunt and flex in Bugattis, they don't got me, she with a body
    Me and cheap girls stay cheap, we do numbers, stay fly
    If it's gettin’ to you, then we fast forward, yeah
    Stayin' low like a stash house, yeah
    Bando to bando, traphouse, yeah
    Made it with nothin', learned to swag out, yeah
    Can't be defeated, I got mad sauce, yeah
    Why would I front like it ain't my fault?

Watson wants to bone Cal?