1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brantley Signs back with Stros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketlaunch, Jan 20, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

@jim1961 faints

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Can never have too many professional hitters.

sammy, IowaAstro and No Worries like this.
  3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow
    Springer is so much more explosive at the plate, in the field and on the base paths. I’d take Springer any day

No Worries likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

That is why he cost more although Brantley is no slouch at the plate.

No Worries likes this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Damn you, Astros!

Just when I decided that I will never watch another Astros game ever, since they let Springer walk. They drag me back in.

the shark likes this.
  6. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Brantley doesn't have the (insert video game boom sound) SPRINGER POWER.
    Nor does he have any sort of base pad speed at this age. I'm putting Bregman in lead off if not Altuve

BamBam, sammy and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros were expected to sign an OF after Springer signed. They sign a good one (offensively at least) the same day as Springer is signed. I guess the rumors of Click being gun shy were wrong. He is now Click the Quick.

sammy, htwnbandit and No Worries like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Huge to get Brantley back, especially for the two year deal. Now we have the time to wait on young developing players. The big question now is... who in CF? We have the hitting to have a defensive-focused CF. Not entirely sure Straw is that player... other options?

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am hoping a cheap Marisnick then platoon him with Straw. Spend some money on pitching and hopefully we won't need a killer bat in the 8/9 hole.

joshuaao, TWS1986 and NewRoxFan like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I was also thinking of Jake. Free agent, cheap salary, good defensive outfielder with speed. great locker room presence. At the 9 spot, could start rallies.

TWS1986 likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would rather they invest the money left in pitching depth then spend any significant amount on a CF.

jim1961 likes this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

A lot of variables to consider. The other day we looked at where the Astros payroll sits. Looking at all the different payroll sites it looks like the Astros are between 192 and 200 after signing Brantley. That also includes the 3 million dollar variable on whether Correa wins his arbitration hearing or not. Looking at the roster, we need a CF, probably a backup catcher because I doubt the Astros would be comfortable with Stubbs, and then they have room for one more pitcher. It could be a starter that pushes Javier to the pen, or a reliever that keeps Javier in the rotation. The rest of the pitching roster spots are taken.

Here are the free agent CFers..

Albert Almora (27)
    Jackie Bradley Jr. (31)
    Rusney Castillo (33)
    Delino DeShields (28)
    Jarrod Dyson (36)
    Brett Gardner (37)
    Brian Goodwin (30)
    Billy Hamilton (30)
    Jon Jay (36)
    Jake Marisnick (30)
    Kevin Pillar (32)
    Danny Santana (30)

Here are a couple other guys that aren't listed as CFers but have played there or are speculated to be able to play there...

Enrique Hernandez (29)
    Joc Pederson (29)
    Jurickson Profar (28)

For me, it is hard to know where to go without knowing the actual number for the payroll because if we are at 192 million that opens up some more options than if we are at 200 million already.

For a cheap option Marisnick is probably the choice. A little more expensive (maybe 5-6 million) would be Pillar. I also would somewhat be intrigued on Profar. I know the Padres are interested in him and he hasn't played CF, but it was talked about early in the offseason that the Astros think he could play CF. His bat would be intriguing and you could always throw Straw out there late in games. I expect that Bradley Jr. and Pederson are unlikely after spending big on Brantley. Also, thinking outside the box, Brett Gardner would be a nice 9 hole hitter. He has the most annoying AB's and works pitchers pretty good. I don't see it happening because of his age, but he could be the best value if he doesn't go back to the Yankees. He posted an .828 OPS in 2019 with 28 HRs. Had a down 2020 season but still posted a .354 OBP.

Another option would be a trade. The dream for me would be Yaztremski. He would surely cost us a big package of prospects and Whitley would have to be involved. Santander is another name that has been mentioned as someone that could be traded.

Astrofan59, RustyHarden and Astrodome like this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

14. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

If we could sign two of those guys. Maybe Marisnick as the 2nd dude to platoon defensively with one other this roster would formidable imo. Ideally the best bat or maybe like Profar or Pederson for power

BamBam likes this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

16. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My guess is Maldy will get ~100 starts with Castro getting the rest, assuming everybody stays healthy.

Redfish81 and Joe Joe like this.
  18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That's weird because I thought I saw here in another post he signed for 3 years with Toronto? I guess that wasn't a done deal.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Welcome back! Welcome back! Welcome back!

#59 J.R., Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member