1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we already tanking?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 20, 2021.

1. jayland

jayland Member

Tanking is the best path forward. You don't want to be the Spurs after Kawhi left. They've been stuck between being a bottom seed playoff team that gets easily eliminated in the first round and being a team that barely misses the playoffs. No chance of high draft picks and no chance of contending. Just stuck in the middle.

Reeko, jiggyfly and DCHAMP like this.
  2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's theoretically possible to suck so bad that the only picks the Rockets give up to OKC are 3 second rounders. Tank away. :D

Verbal Christ and BMoney like this.
  3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Sounds like full tank mode to me. Wood needs to be a volume shooter right now in my opinion. I'm talking jacking up 8-10 3ptrs/gm and taking over games. He needs to get used to averaging 25-27pts/gm. This is definitely a preseason regular season. The money has dried up for these franchises and this doesn't get competitive again untill about this time 2022 when economy begins to recover after this stupid covid hoax.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Simmons is not a cornerstone player, I have no idea why people keep calling him that he is trending more to bust than cornerstone player at this point.

Yes we are tanking.

juanm34 and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I really just don’t think Silas or Stone want to build around a guard who can’t shoot, like at all. Not free throws, mid range, threes...in today’s game that’s really hard to develop an offense around — it’s hard enough for bigs to survive in the league now without some kind of stroke.

6. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Here’s some more:

- Silas leaving Cousins in to get torched vs Phoenix
    - Taking out Mclemore after a 4 point play
    - Sitting Dipo for a LONG period in the 2nd Q

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I hope so... because if these guys are actually trying to win and are this bad then heads will roll this off season.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Tank mode has been activated

chadyang and dreamshakin like this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

are we tanking is a funny question. the players and coaches are trying to win. stone is trying to sell off all players for future picks and secure a top 4 pick. tilman is already claiming victory by moving under the tax.

dmoneybangbang and chadyang like this.
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Two decades later ... "At least we dont have Dolan as our owner"

BamBam likes this.
  12. chadyang

chadyang Member

Doesn't matter because you can't really tell if they are competing or not...we suck

BamBam likes this.
  13. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Tank szn baby,I'm already scouting and found 2 prospects with very good potential, I'll do more research on other players, I'll make a post by draft time.

14. thekad

thekad Member

Or the simplest explanation: The team is bad with mediocre to bad players, which is why Harden demanded a trade.

15. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

if they're battling to stay competitive every game but end up losing a vast majority of them, i think we get the best of all worlds.

trying to win, developing young players and getting good picks

Mr Woods and dmoneybangbang like this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Thinking the team should tank while another team has control over your pick must be a new low in fan idiocy. Some of you need to look up how the lottery odds work. There is no way to secure a top 4 pick, it's all a crapshoot.

If you are going to be the 6th or 7th pick anyway then sure go for one of the worst records instead and take the 50% chance. But if this roster is really that bad (Wall, Oladipo, Wood) then that's another issue, and quite sad. I don't believe that to be the case, but we are not playing well, so maybe they will prove me wrong.

#56 CXbby, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    JayGoogle likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People really are not getting that it's just more likely that OKC gets our pick. It's the bed we made and so we will just have to lie in it.

What we should be doing is trying to get more 1st rounders with Ego and Tucker just so we have more swings at the plate.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Need to get rid of PJ asap. (Or keep him depending on your perspective) Because he was the tank commander out there today, totally useless and has quit trying. Trade him before you can get nothing back.

19. Kingsman

Kingsman Member

Well we're down 2 starters (Wall/House) so obviously not gonna win much, even with them back it's a question how much we would be winning (more for sure). If this team can somehow manage that top 4 pick that's a HUGE dub. Literally could rebuild in one of season.

There are so many possibilities then, getting some good FA's, getting amazing player via draft and building on that, you could trade some of BKN picks and Wall/Gordon for better players.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I love this post. It went from "it's stupid to tank, there's a 48% of losing the pick to OKC" to "well, we might suck so bad anyways." :D:(

Verbal Christ likes this.