1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

By best hitter, I just meant the guy who posted the best numbers over the (short) season.

Altuve, Correa and Bregman had down years. Will all three recover this year? I hope (and think) so. Will Alvarez stay healthy and produce like he did in 2019? I hope so! He was so amazing in his rookie year. Will Brantley stay healthy playing OF? Can Yuli be a productive hitter at 37, when he was bad at 36? I hope so, but I wouldn't count on it. I think he's lost bat speed. Still like his glove.

I'm not trying to be a downer on the offense - I have hope for a productive year! I'm just pointing out that there are a LOT of question marks on that side. The ceiling is great, but I wouldn't characterize the sum total as "reliable". It requires a number of bounce back years to return to being a top unit.

TWS1986 and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yes, you're right. I originally said just FA, but then realized Springer/Brantley were different since they were our FAs so I changed it to FA/Extending players which in turn makes it false because of the group you mentioned. I mean just FA though and by FA I mean the Springer types that require 100+ mil contracts.

hieuytran likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why would consider the pitching to be more reliable?

The hitters have more of a record for being reliable.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would you compare their ages after Yordan had 3 years in the minors?

Even Bregman took a couple of years to come up.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston really only needs 2 more players:

A 2nd tier CF like Bradley, Benintendi, Profar, or Pederson
    A starting pitcher with some upside like Archer, Walker, Richards, or Rodon

I don't know if they have the resources to do both of those things, but if they do I think this team will be on par with the 2017, 2018, and 2020 rosters. I am not a huge fan of relying on Stubbs as the backup catcher but if they are short on money that's where I'd scrimp. If something happens to Maldy adding a veteran catcher shouldn't be too hard.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because I was responding to a comment that emphasized his age.

Also, like I said, Yuli came from Cuba and played in the majors that first season. Now will it be done? Probably not, but it could happen especially given the strong state of the offense.

The pitching on the other hand is fairly shaky and has no help coming from the minors.

TWS1986 likes this.
  7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I mean, I laid out why I think there are a lot of question marks on the hitting side. If you think there are question marks on the pitching side, I wouldn't call you wrong. McCullers' injury history, Greinke's age, the youth of the rest of those guys. I get it.

I think I just like the way those guys pitched in the postseason and think we've really produced good quality in-house candidates. I think they have all the tools they need to be successful on the roster. On the other hand, I've seen enough of Straw and I think there's a crying need to fill that position with a guy like Bradley Jr. I'd much rather sign him than Brad Hand, whose velocity is rapidly declining. And none of the other relief pitchers remaining move the needle, for me.

jiggyfly and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Need a closer and backup C

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would be nice, but if money is tight I would rather get a good option in CF and another SP than a backup C and another RP. Adding a SP shifts Javier to the pen where I think he can be elite. And while I don’t think much of Stubbs he’s fine for 200 pa and if he flops or Maldy gets hurt they can spend some prospects to get an acceptable replacement during the season.

raining threes likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yes

11. Fantasma Negro

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Signing Brantley was big because that's one FA with options that wasn't swayed by the scandal and re-signed. Hopefully other FAs will see that and follow suit.

13. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Backup catcher solved - Castro back.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm guessing Castro failed to get more money from somewhere else and went ahead and took our offer.

A pretty meh move. He's a competent MLB catcher so we don't have to worry about Garneau level absolute zero from him, but that's about the best complement I can pay him.

Htown Legend likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really like the Castro signing assuming it’s $5M or less. I kind of wish it were a 2 year deal but whatev. Castro is an everyday capable catcher who can hit for power and take a walk. Plus he hits from the other side as Maldy. Good signing.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  16. Screaming Fist

He's not great but he's probably at least a league average player over a full season and can be platooned. Hopefully the final OF spot will be sorted out soon enough.

17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

now they are reporting it is a two year deal. Agree, solid move - not everything has to be spectacular. Just plugging holes.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Chandler Rome says it is a 2 year deal and Kaplan says 1 year. We will have to wait to see the truth I guess considering the recent reporter nonsense with Brantley

19. Jeremy Williams

No Worries and texans1095 like this.
  20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

If it really is 2 years $7 million then that’s a really solid deal IMO. Like someone else said earlier, just plugging holes.