1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I hear a lot of talk that Langhi is ready to assume the helm at the SF, I disagree

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a.k.a vince, Jun 24, 2001.

Tags:
  1. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

I've listened to arguments that Langhi is ready to step into the SP position just as Mobley was ready to take over the SG position 2 years two years ago.

Where I disagree was that Mobley was the starting point guard during his rookie year. Starting along Dickerson. Then that summer after the Francis trade, there was a cry for a replacement of the SG. Shandon came around while all along the Rockets had Mobley to take up the slack.

Langhi if I remember correctly might have played all but one half of a basketball game all season long. The man did not play at ALL. I saw him in the shoot arounds and I was impressed. But is he ready? I've seen nothing to convice me of that.

Williams and Anderson did not do anything out of the ordinary to keep Langhi from playing at all.

If Langhi is to be given the helm as the SF, I hope the Rockets don't go out and draft a starting SF. I'd like them to get someone like Terrence Morris. A good solid defensive player. Or maybe even keep Williams for his leadership for one more year.

But, now that everyone is talking about the Rockets moving up in the draft, it's making me anxious to see what happens.

Curry/Collier
    Mo Taylor/
    Langhi/Morris
    Mobley
    Fancis/Norris

That may not yet be a dynasty everyone makes a huge hype about, but it can definatley be a team waiting in the wings to at least a few championships.

------------------

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That was funny [​IMG].

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Langhi got little time last season because that is how Rudy brings these lower tier rookies up. They have to pay their dues, and that means not a lot of PT first year unles you absolutely blow Rudy's skirt up. Langhi has paid his dues, and unless the Rockets draft a high SF, or trade for one, I think the starting SF spot is Langhi's to lose, which means he will likely be the starter in the first game (tough break Crisco's side). It is quite feasible that he is supplanted sometime during the year, but Rudy makes a player lose the starting role.

------------------
    Signature service is only $29.95

[This message has been edited by RunninRaven (edited June 24, 2001).]

4. alaskansnowman

Langhi will definately get minutes next year, but I don't know whether he will be the starting SF from the start. I personally believe that he will gradually be worked into that role.

For Langhi's sake, I hope we don't get a big-tyme SF like Battier, because then Battier will undoubtedly get more minutes than Langhi. I mean, who are you gonna give more minutes to - a possible top 5 lottery selection or a 2nd rounder?

Oeilpere said that the ideal situation would be to get another young sf to "platoon with Langhi." Terrence Morris is a good example, as he won't command the premier minutes of a Battier or Johnson, and we will have 2 young sf's that will be battling it out, much like KT and Mo last year.

Langhi is not ready to come in and dominate; he simply needs time and experience. He won't be the answer at SF right away, but I feel as long as he gains experience, he could very well prove to be that future SF of ours. If not, we will have a T-mo or some other young SF.

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

5. TIburon

TIburon Member

Well if he is ready then he must be playing with Stevie and Cat this summer. Just an assumption. I don't see him starting but if we don't get a SF in the draft and if Matt Bullard doesn't sign back I can see him playing more minutes.

------------------

6. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

alaskanswnowman, my sentiments exactly!

If Langhi is any bit ready to step in an trully contribute, then please Rudy don't get another high first round SF like Battier or Jefferson etc.

I really want the Rockes to tade up to get either Brown, Curry, Griffin, or Diop.

I'm aware that all 4 guys are young, but age won't hide a phenom. All needed afterward is a lot of hard work on the Rockets side and the players side.

------------------

7. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Member

I followed Langhi closely throughout his college career. He started slowly his first couple of years but really exploded and became SEC player of the year as a senior averaging 22+ pts. He has a great shot with good range, was a tough rebounder, is a good FT shooter, and is not afraid to take it to the hole. And at 6' 11" he can post up most defenders at SF.

Was really happy that Houston grabbed him in 2nd round but really disappointed Rudy didn't give him more playing time other than garbage time. Will he be "ready" when season starts...probably not; but feel he'll grow and gain confidence as he gets playing time with first team. Has incredible upside with his great touch, toughness, quickness and jumping ability. Look forward to seeing him get a real shot.

[​IMG]

8. buffalospeedway

As sold as I am on Joe Johnson, I am beginning to come around to the fact that with Langhi, our SF needs aren't as crucial as our C needs. However, if we are after a C first and foremost, I don't think we should trade up, cuz one of either Diop, Woods, or Haywood is sure to drop to #13. We then can use pick #18 to shore up the SF position (to give Langhi some back-up). Possibly Jefferson will be available at #18. We will have to get rid of #23 somehow, though, maybe by packaging it with one of our tradeable players in exchange for either one player or a future pick.

One caveat: If JJ falls to #13, we gotta pick him up.

------------------

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

I love Langhi and was very supportive of the choice. Then he looked great at the RMR and I was excited. However, at no time during the season did he show he was anywhere close to being ready for real NBA minutes. Admitedly, he only got short stints during GT but he looked lost and overmatched. He shot left him, where it went I don't know.

I hope you guys end up being correct but, for now, I have to say I think youre dreaming.

------------------

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think Langhi is ready, and only needs a chance.

Will Bullard finally retire, will Walt be traded, or at least take a diminished role?

Both of these are factors as Rudy is notoriously slow in making changes to his rotation.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

11. Band Geek Mobster

I think Walt will take Langhi's spot on the bench this season. Rudy's had a history of sitting down his aging SG/SF's in the final year of their contracts (see Eddie Johnson and Mario Elie).

I think Walt will start in the beginning of the season though, with Langhi becoming the 8th man off the bench behind KT and Moochie.

I just don't see Dan sitting on the bench all season like he was last season, especially after all of the quotes I've read from Rudy and his teammates about how he'll get his time soon, he just needs to stay patient. There's no way they screw over Langhi for another season.

As far as him looking bad this season, it's hard for ANY shooter to look good when given limited minutes. Shooters need shots in order to get into a groove, Dan's had maybe 1 or 2 chances this season to play extended minutes in a game and he actually had a decent game towards the end.

By the end of the season, Langhi will play an important role on this team and Walt will be forgotten on the DNP All-Stars...

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited June 25, 2001).]

12. bigmike_oh

bigmike_oh Member

I don't think we should trade up, cuz one of either Diop, Woods, or Haywood is sure to drop to #13.

I don't know where u got the idea that any of those guys are gonna be able to help.

Woods- made of toothpicks and will take him a while to get big enough to be decent, he couldn't rebound for his life in college, much less the nba.

Haywood-don't have no upside to look forward too. He's headed for a career of sittin the bench

Diop, might be allright after 4 or 5 years. He averaged 11 points a game in highschool, and who wants to wait on that

------------------
    oh

13. buffalospeedway

Joe Fan: You're right, Langhi definitely looked lost at times out there last year. He seems like a smart, talented kid, though, and I think that in general, the amount of improvement a player makes in his first 2-3 years in the league determines whether he will make it or not. So we will see with Langhi.

As for Bullard, he will be around next year, in Houston, for sure. The Wizard, I like, but I think it's best if he plays somewhere else next year. I think he needs a change of scenery.

------------------

14. buffalospeedway

bigmike:

My point was not that Diop, Haywood, or Woods are all that. My point is that if we trade up TO GET A CENTER, we will still be choosing from one of those three. We will not be able to get high enough to draft Curry. We just don't have the leverage. I think the highest we could move up would be #6, and even that is a stretch. The rest of the choices we will have at that point will not be centers. That was my point.

------------------

15. The Rocket Guy

The Rockets can do well whether or not they move up, but it seems to me they have already worked out a deal to move up.

Our biggest need is at center. Hakeem is gone unless he throws money out the window to stay. I would think he'd play in Dallas before doing that. What a team they'd have!

Cato is being fitted for a Bulls jersey, which leaves us Collier and some rumors about Marc Jackson, Raef LaFrentz, and Antonio Davis. I'd rather see them move up and get Gasol and then focus on SF.

Langhi is not playing with Francis and Mobley this summer. Francis and Moochie have been in Houston for a camp with some other NBA stars. Steve has also been taking classes in Maryland toward his criminal justice degree.

Dan is an up-and-coming player and may one day be our starting SF, but it will not be opening day 2001. He has not had the experience and when he got PT he looked good in stretches, but not consistent enough to start. I would like to see him get consistent minutes, which is what he would get behind Austin Croshere with Shandon gone.

TRG

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

</A> "You try to improve and do better. It's a journey, not just the destination." - Hakeem Olajuwon