1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we already tanking?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

My bad for another tanking thread.

I try my best not to speculate and be a conspiracist, but there’s too many suspicious things going on lately:

- Prioritizing draft picks over a cornerstone player (Simmons) in the Harden trade.

- Dumping Allen to Cleveland, knowing damn well how much we need a big. He would have been tremendous help at least until the deadline.

- Random injuries to players that we don’t see happen on the court. Gordon, Cousins, and Brown’s ‘sore’ injuries, for example.

- Suspiciously holding out Wall and House after reports said they’d be back sooner than later.

- Continuously starting Nwaba despite every fan knowing how much that hurts us to start games.

- Very questionable substitutions by Silas lately, especially in that Chicago game — held out Wood and Tucker for way too long in that 4th.

Are we already tanking, but just don’t know it?

burlesk, Highlyrated, Kim and 5 others like this.
  2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :eek:

Hard to tell...

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dont apologize!

Tank threads are my drug right now! Keep em coming!

[​IMG]

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They'd stumble their way into a good pick.

Kim likes this.
  5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

When you've peaked, every step down is a tank...

Space Ghost, Nook, chadyang and 2 others like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

OKC is due unless we land a top 4 lotto pick.

Prepare your anus.

Don't forget to cheer for this team's "heart" and "grit" that reminds you of your teenage years at jr. varsity.

A refreshing break over the bums from the last 4 years, I say!!! :rolleyes:

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

stealth tank led by tank commander Wall and lieutenant Boogie

8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

These are valid reasons to make you think the team is tanking.

vlaurelio likes this.
  9. finsraider

finsraider Member

One thing that caught my eye about the offseason was how young all of our signees were. Then Stone said he never thought Harden would change his mind.

In other words, we were already preparing for the great reset post Harden, and we as fans didn’t even know it.

I think it’s entirely possible that it’s a direction we go, all while making PJ, Oladipo and Wood look as good as possible. That said, I think there are other reasonable explanations for some of the decisions you listed:

- For quite a while I’ve thought draft picks were a better direction than Simmons.

- Wood is a center. Silas has made this very clear. Allen would’ve been a backup here, which would be a poor use of resources over a pick.

- House obviously got COVID.

- I think the staff sees Tate as part of the rotation bench unit and wants him to get use to that role. They do not see Nwaba as part of that, so they gave him the starting role while others are injured. It’s basically a way to keep Tates role and development consistent.

- leaving Cousins in too long seriously drove me crazy.

I don’t think we are trying to lose, but I think it’s a direction we could go eventually. There isn’t a huge spread between winning and losing teams right now, but that will change.

I’m still hoping we don’t tank.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I thought this with the recent injury reports. Imagine getting pick 5 after a full on tank.

Nook likes this.
  11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

God I hope so.

Mathloom and HP3 like this.
  12. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

I honestly think the trading deadline will tell us the true direction we are going in. If we trade oladipo for assets at the deadline or not. I think house and tucker wouldve gotten traded either way. Also, tanking this yr is risky...even if we had the worst record we'd still only hv a 52% chance of keeping the pick due to the OKC trade pick swap...man that trade looks even worse now

13. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Yeah. We are tanking. Oh well. Would rather watch competive team trying to get the 8th spot but really with nothing in the world being normal until next season, might as well enjoy watching Wood grow with the young talent we are putting together. Maybe Harden gets a championship and we get first pick. Works out for both us in the long run.

RocketWalta, HP3 and bleedroxred79 like this.
  14. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

With the worst record, we would keep the pick. It would be at least the 4th pick

15. macan

macan Member

we should tank this season, so John Wall has time to fully heal from his injuries.
    we'll sign another all star next summer and we ready to go all in next season.

16. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

I thought they changed that rule with the new lottery?

17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Not sure Wall would knowingly sit out games after being away from the game for so long and with a chip on his shoulder. I assume he has legitimate swelling that is taking awhile to subside. Not sure why Silas was playing him 35+ minutes most nights. Needs to be in the 28-30 range. Playing him doesn't necessarily make us better at this point unless Wall quits playing like a kid in a candy store and plays a little more under control and scraps the mid range.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd guess the opposite of the Clutchfan consensus.

So... we are about to win some games, and we are in a way better spot than people realize.

hakeem94 and treyk3 like this.