1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is 2 weeks notice enough

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Jan 19, 2021.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

If you're not at the point of retiring. Try to line up something new, before quitting. Maybe it has equal (or better pay).

Two weeks is normally enough. If your current boss says no, ask them for a counter offer. :D

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

2 weeks sounds like plenty of notice. If you have a good relationship with upper management, it shouldn't be a problem. I had a good relationship with management at my previous job and they used those 2 weeks (actually 2.5 weeks) to attempt to persuade me to stay. I was able to download all my project information within that time period. I technically had already been planning it for a few months at the time and I had slowly been downloading information on to others during that time frame so we wouldn't be scrambling during my 2 weeks notice.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

2 weeks is standard. Depends on how high up you are and how personal you need recommendations or references.

20 yrs sounds like pension material. I'd like to think they'd want to keep you, but sometimes it's also an op for them to try new things. Regardless of whether or not they want to keep you, it's good to take account on things you don't want to do and any traces of things you still want to pursue in that industry. Things or skills that would stretch your boundaries that you'd otherwise avoid because of commitments. Putting that down helps you set goals and negotiate (value setting) in future endeavors.

Also, if they ask for more time, don't just outright agree and hold out a little to see if they want to sweeten the pot. If they're only dangling a "good ref", I'd take a measure of insult and use that as motivation to pursue what you really want to do.

Every industry has it's own quirks. If you feel like you're replaceable, being nicer never hurts.

If being nice does hurt for you, learn to say no with confidence and without hurting feelings.

BamBam likes this.
  4. SemisolidSnake

Three things, @body slam :

1) I agree with giving two weeks, however I'd be prepared to be asked to leave the same day. This was pretty common at my previous job. A person leaving of their own volition, especially if they're unhappy with the job, isn't necessarily something we wanted hanging around for two more weeks. Could cause problems. You know your current employer better than we do. If there's a chance they'd ask you to pack up immediately (which is a valid thing employers can do), be prepared for that.

2) Two weeks and no more. If your employer "needs" you, they may try to extend that time frame through various means. When you say two weeks, you're gone at the end of two weeks, and that's it. If everything's not fully taken care of, oh, well. They can pay you as a consultant if they really need you after you no longer work for them, and that is, of course, your choice to accept or decline. Don't fall into mushy separation. Been there. Still there. Not great.

3) This is why I quoted Tim's post. If you can find another job before you give your notice, awesome. BUT...don't feel that you HAVE to. It is commonly-accepted logic that you should have something lined up before you quit. I've certainly been told it. And I challenge that logic head on. If you can find another job before you leave, ok, well done. But if the job is making you miserable, you will not spend your time looking for another job. Because it's hard. It takes effort. And crappy jobs drain you completely. It's not necessarily feasible to search for a job at night while you're burning your life away during the day at a job you hate. You'll stay in the same place trying to follow advice that's not universally applicable.

I should have quit my job working for my dad so many years ago. Just straight up. No safety net, no plans figured out, no smooth transition, nothing. Just should have quit. I didn't (for a lot of reasons), and the trauma just built up year after year. I ended up doing exactly that right before Covid lockdowns started, but I had already endured 12 years of mental stress that I still really can't deal with. And, it's not a very clean separation, because I still handle IT stuff for them, and I occasionally get asked to be involved in certain projects, and I'm often treated like I'm still an option for when things go wrong. Now, it's way harder when you're the boss's son and the family is completely enmeshed with the business, but still, don't let anything close happen to you. I've known multiple friends who've quit their jobs (one at my work) with NO plans. Just had to get out. I recently counseled my ever-"responsible" sister to do the same thing. Her job of 20 years is giving her anxiety attacks, and I told her to not listen to any of the standard wisdom, and just GTFO immediately.

As a whole person, you may very well be better off getting out of the toxic environment and then focusing on your future with a good mental state as opposed to trying to do things "by the book" and being miserable, lethargic, and procrastinatory and maybe never getting there. Only you can make that decision, but I'm giving you my 100% support to just leave on your own terms, two weeks or not, without anything lined up just to get out if that's what you need to stay mentally healthy.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

my work usually do 30 day. gives enough time for management to find a replacement, and even have you train them for a bit before you leave. i usually do 30 day notice and use up my 20+ days leave.

also i knew someone who gave a 3 months notice. like wtf?

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I've never really been counter offered. Sadly, but that's my experience.

7. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

But as for the topic, two weeks ought to be fine in most cases. Unless you are a high up exec.

8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Man did this part hit home for me. I'm not that happy at my job and I try to search and apply but when I get rejected or interviews don't get the results I want, I get dejected. Glad to know this feeling isn't uncommon. Thanks man for posting this.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah, start preaching accountability Tillman. Or are you Patrick?

Is there an Andre Fertitta?

As for leaving, there's plenty of good advice already. I would just add there is nothing to fear in change. Change is usually good. I was pretty hesitant about all the big life moves my fam made last year but they've worked out pretty stinkin well. If I had known lol...

10. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

TWS1986 likes this.
  11. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Do you have a job already? When is that start date? Two weeks is generally enough if you're a "normal" employee. If you're really high up, consider giving me.

My last job move had me starting on a specific day, so I didn't wait until 2 weeks before. Went ahead and gave them about 3 weeks notice, so we'd have more time to transition.

TWS1986 likes this.
  12. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

My job's CTO gave notice earlier this week. We'll see how long until her email is disabled.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Depends upon your position and industry.

14. Buck Turgidson

I offer competitive pay and benefits, if you like to cut mesquites and ceders and can run a chainsaw for 8 hours a day 6 days a week.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If your job isn't causing you hurt or anguish, I would keep it so you have insurance and work continuity. So if you're deadset on leaving, make your final day the first of the month or a day after insurance resets for that month.

The other thing not commonly mentioned is that having a job gives you leverage when negotiating salaries. If the new employer knows you're hunting without a job, they're not inclined to give you indication on how much they really like you. So they'll offer you standard wage and make you earn every bit of that 10+% bump people normally get from quitting after starting for years.

Finally, if you hate what you do but get a check out of it, a work stoppage can create bad habits if you're not in the correct mindset. You're mentality in vacation mode. If you run into a string of bad luck and your unemployment extends beyond what you planned, you're more likely to unconsciously rebel from working (waiting for that perfect job). It will take longer to ramp up when you do decide to start working again AND get employed.

I've been there before. The better course when you hate your company is to push for more vacation time. Learn to say no with confidence and give reasonable expectations not only to your manager (who could lie and sell you short with others) but also the people around you and above. Start asking more from the company without complaining. Too bored with the same ol ****? Ask to learn something new and beneficial to the company. They'll now know you're unhappy and if the company is half decent, they'll try to work with you on that. It'll take at least half a year on the big things but it's way better than suffering in silence.

If given a choice between quitting without a replacement and getting fired, the latter will at least give unemployment benefits. If you're self aware enough, you should already be looking in either case. You don't need to tell prospective companies you got fired either. Don't lie if they bring it up (likely not) and instead give reasons why you wanted to leave and continue your career so it sounds consistent if they ever do find out during the process.

People jump companies all the time, so never feel bad if you want to do something new. When you start out, your idea of a company is mostly what you've been through with your current employer. You don't know what you don't have so it would be like choosing the same ****ed up type of girlfriend you've had since high school because you were unlucky with circumstances.

If you hate your job, find reasons why you'd do it long term (sets up mgmt track when positions open, gives me exp in bulletproof skills other companies want, allows me to work remotely). That'll give you a direction on what you want your next company to be.

#35 Invisible Fan, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    TWS1986 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  16. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

So much to digest in that post, but thank you for taking the time to type it all. I'll have to do some soul-searching/pondering before I reply with more! Thanks man.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is standard.....never worry about upgrading your position, even if it means leaving early, companies don't give you 2 weeks, why should you?

It is a nice gesture on your part - nothing more.

BE SELFISH in your career.....

DD