1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Nov 3, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cleveland desperate to unload Kevin Porter Jr. and willing to unload one of their plethora of bigs.

Cavs also short on playable guards.

https://tradenba.com/trades/EiGbIaBud

CLE: John Wall, Chris Clemons
    HOU: Andre Drummond, Larry Nance Jr., Kevin Porter Jr.

*I do this trade even if Rockets have to give up a FRP.

EGo
    Oladipo
    Nance
    Wood
    Drummond

Trade deadline options: EGo, Tucker, House

fckbandwagons likes this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Newsflash: KPJ is 6'4.
    Drummond is a big stats paint clogging loser.

Neither is a good fit here
    Next!

Corrosion, saleem and Grizzlyshark like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Drummond has led Cavs to better ranking than Wall has led Rockets.

And I'd rather have a stats stuffer and WIN then play "beautiful" basketball and say all the "right" BS and LOSE.

Drummond would improve rebounding, post defense, blocks, steals, deflections AND put up more points than Wall.

#2103 D-rock, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    crenshaw, fckbandwagons and dfbreyes like this.
  4. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

agreed on tucker & house...whether oladipo gets moved is gunna be interesting..if he doesnt itll mean we are signing him to an extension probs

Nook and baller4life315 like this.
  5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Newsflash: Wall contract still a major problem

We’re all rooting for him but we cannot deny the obvious. $40M+ per year for an injury prone player while the team is in a rebuild is like owning a fancy toaster while standing in a bathtub. Very dangerous and doesn’t make much sense.

saleem, fattz, joshuaao and 1 other person like this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If we're looking for a defensive Swiss army knife kind of role player then we should target Larry Nance instead. He's just as athletic, is actually efficient, on a better contract, and is on a team with a logjam in the frontcourt. Gordon is the only PF in Orlando, which is possibly why they've stuck with him this long. Gordon has been inefficient his whole career, which I think makes him unideal without Harden.

saleem, fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Wall requires too much to move now then EGo + Chris Clemons for Larry Nance + Kevin Porter.

No picks.

6'4 Wall
    6'4 Oladipo
    6'5 Tucker or 6'4 Tate
    6'7 Nance
    6'10 Wood

Nance is 42% from 3P and averages 3.8 assists & 2.4 steals.

Communication and leadership like PJ.

#2107 D-rock, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    fckbandwagons and baller4life315 like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yep, Nance has been on my radar for almost as long as AG too.

Nance is finally being used properly now that he is with Cavs hence his improved efficiencies.

AG needs to play in another system and he will experience a similar rejuvenation.

And AG is far from Magic's only PF. He is just their best one while Isaac, Aminu and Okeke are dinged up/injured.

But it is AG's defense and playmaking that intrigue me most. Magic are dying for more offense however.

#2108 D-rock, Jan 20, 2021
    ROCK3TM4N likes this.
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Nance was efficient as a Laker too. His last season there he was at 61.8 TS% in 42 games before being traded, which is his career high. The season before that he was at 56.7 TS% and he's been hovering between that window in Cleveland. The only difference is that he's been working on his three point shot hard the past few years and is now making them at decent volume. He's traded twos for threes. Nance's worst year in terms of efficiency, his rookie year, is better Gordon's best.

Gordon doesn't really have an excuse for his inefficiency considering the other players in Orlando's core, Vucevic and Fournier, are also efficient scorers and decent playmakers themselves. Sure, those guys are established scorers but he was less efficient last season than even Fultz and MCW. That is almost unacceptable.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

3ball is HUGE but not only difference.

The main reason he is more efficient is his asst/tov ratio.

Nance has been unlocked as a playmaker with Cavs.

And you need to go beyond the stat watching. If you followed the Magic at all you can see that the system is a horrible fit for AG.

Horrible.

AG should be used more as point forward.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I am totally with you.

Let's dump that contract as soon as we can - in a dream world without forfeiting picks to do so.

If Stone gets rid of Wall and EGo by the deadline, and preserves the picks, he is my hero!

D-rock likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

C'mon, really? I'm not DD...

Drummond has been on a winning team just 1 time in his career. My aspirations are not to be a 6-7 team (which you seem to indicate as aspirational?)

Kevin Porter isn't really the answer to any question that requires giving up a pick. He is short, and has a lot to prove.
    Drummond clogs the paint- far from ideal for a Wood/ Oladipo pick and roll. I don't want to see Oladipo shooting mid range clangers, even IF Drummond gets some of the rebounds.. far better to see Oladipo getting to the rim

No to a first round pick for either guy. Just no.

saleem, Grizzlyshark and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porter is not the point of trade but he does have untapped potential as 2nd year player. He is a natural scorer which is intriguing.

Point of trade is to pick up 1 of Cavs bigs.

I'd rather have Nance but would not say no to Drummond if we can get rid of Wall. If we can get all 3 even better.

And Drummond is only 27 and he is still improving. He can actually show and go in 5 out system. And all his 20-20 games are far from empty. And Drummond is as good a playmaker as Boogie, if not better.

Not to mention top 5 in steals for 3rd season.

I only remember Dream doing that, not that I'm saying he is Olajuwon of course.

Drummond would be an upgrade to Cousins at the very least.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cavs 2nd only to Lakers in defense.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cavs as a team also lead NBA in steals.

And Nance leads all NBA players in steals.

17. fattz

fattz Member

Tilly pushes Stone out of the way to sign paperwork himself because it saves him 10’s of millions over time.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Wall and Gordon are pretty unruly contracts. There's a version of the future where the Rockets clear them out quickly and are able to start offering big time contracts again. We'll leave our opinions of the Harden-era be, but it's indeed a change to be able to talk about free agency for real and not buyouts and vet minimums.

Thanks, I would think they would. I do agree moving on from complimentary pieces will help define what the next era, it's leaders, IT'S complimentary pieces can be. Just an armchair GM here, what would be a better value in return for Wall/Tucker? A 1st, maybe some more picks to even the count? Giving up Rozier hurts a bit but getting Wall, injury history and all will be huge for that team. So...a 1st&2nd pick next year in the till? By the time his contract is up Lamelo or someone else from that young squad will be looking to claim a max slot so it could make a lot of sense for them. Wall from NC too.

Tucker/Suns...a top 10 pick from the draft class everyone shat on since the draft before it...a guy who isn't playing for a known defender and corner 3 maker. CP's boy. Former Suns player...for that team that would look an awful lot like the 18 rockets if they picked up PJ... man unless Smith is Stoudemire lite and they're just now figuring it out I think the value is about right! What would it take? A 1st?

The extra picks wouldn't slow me down much, I think I'd be willing to include them to get these wheels greased. Still a bag full of them, lots of cap flexibility particularly next offseason. Take my picks lol

THIS is the tank year. Next year looking to dominate. So playing out the scenario into next offseason and season:

Let's say Oladipo loves it here and stays. You've got Oladipo, Tate, Wood to build around with Rozier, KPJ, Smith, Kurucs and KJmart on the roster.

Oladipo, Rozier
    KPorterJr., ______
    Tate, KMartinJr.
    ______, Kurucs
    Wood, Smith

Take your pick of "current" rotation Rockets that stay on similar minimum contracts or small raises.
    Brown, Nwaba, Jones, Clemons, Exum, Zeller

Pick a lower round prospect to fill in forward depth...

Throw the caproom at Kawhi Leonard?

Oladipo, KPJr, Tate, Kawhi, Wood
    Rozier, Jones, Brown, Usman Garuba (drafted), Smith

It could happen. Shaa. And monkeys might fly out of my butt!

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Trade #1 : Eric Gordon + Portland FRP + Chris Clemons for Derrick Jones Jr. (when he is eligible) and Zach Collins

DJJ is severely underperforming his contract but makes less than EGo annually and his contract expires a year early. Zach Collins is expiring and would be a good test run. With McCollum out, the Blazers could seriously use Eric. Team gets off his contract and gets a flier on a much younger bad contract in DJJ, who could really pan out. The Blazers also gain control of their lottery protected pick sent out in the RoCo trade.

Trade #2 : PJ Tucker (into exception) for RJ Hampton (I don't think Thybulle is likely with Morey)

Hampton could really be something one day but unlike Bol Bol or MPJ, he's probably obtainable without throwing in picks or other blue chip assets. PJ is expiring and would seriously help Denver. RJ being Australian is once again a Will Weaver connection. Wall's injuries makes a back up floor general necessary, especially with Harden gone. There isn't a second true PG on the roster.

Wall / Hampton
    Oladipo / McLeMore / Jones
    DJJ / House/Nwaba
    Tate/ Zach Collins
    Wood/Boogie

this would be a team with two high upside additions. The team could still compete for an 8th seed in this deal and also have legit young guys to develop.

#2119 treyk3, Jan 20, 2021
    saleem and fckbandwagons like this.
  20. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Rockets in:
    Jerami Grant, Jarred Vanderbilt, Ed Davis
    Rockets out:
    Eric Gordon, PJ Tucker, Kurucs, Detroit protected FRP, 2024 Brooklyn unprotected FRP

Cleveland in:
    Eric Gordon, 2022 Philly 2RP (via TWolves), 2023 TWolves 2RP
    Cleveland out:
    Larry Nance Jr., Kevin Porter Jr.

TWolves in:
    PJ Tucker
    TWolves out:
    Jarred Vanderbilt, Ed Davis, 2022 Philly 2RP, 2023 2RP

Detroit in:
    Larry Nance Jr., Kevin Porter Jr., Kurucs, Detroit protected FRP (restrictions off, Detroit get their pick back, eligible to trade future picks), Brooklyn 2024 FRP
    Detroit out:
    Jerami Grant

Wall/Mason/Exum
    Oladipo/Nwaba/BMac
    Tate/House/Brown
    Grant/Vanderbilt/KJ
    Wood/Boogie/Davis

Stone could actually use a bigger contract than Davis to fit into the 10m trade exception from Harden, though the mental gymnastics of figuring that out hurts my head. Vanderbilt slides into the trade exception made my the Rivers trade.

I'm actually on board with keeping House, I don't think we can find a better role player at the 3 for that money, and he could fill that role of Ego coming off the bench as our 6th man.

Vanderbilt is barely being used in Minnesota and them wanting Tucker has been a not so kept secret. I don't think Davis/Vanderbilt/ 2 2nds is too much to ask.

Grant is the ideal PF for this team, in the off season I wanted him here more than Wood to be honest. Detroit get a massive haul for managing to sign him in free agency, they get a replacement in Nance which helps with keeping them on track with.. whatever they're doing. Get a potential 2 or 3 of the future in Porter, another big body in Kurucs (just get him off this team!) And a couple 1sts to boot. The Brooklyn pick COULD be a good one too.

The Rockets get bigger, and deeper where they need to, get rid of the glut of 6'5 and under guys and move on from the last couple holdovers of the Harden Era.