1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Texans don’t haven’t any more interviews scheduled correct? I know this happens in college a lot but can’t remember a NFL coach announcing they’re leaving before their season is over?

Edit: I know there are workarounds for this but assuming EB wants to at least have a convo with DW4, would he even be permitted to before the season is over?

#1901 gucci888, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    treyk3 likes this.
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, I don't think you're usually allowed to interview coaches until they're eliminated from the playoffs. That's why you don't see any announcements. This year is different because of COVID, but yeah, it may be that if they hire Bieniemy, they won't announce it until after the Chiefs' season ends.

treyk3 likes this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

@gucci888 @Cannonball

You can request interviews during a given week but they cannot be hired until after their season is over. I would imagine the rumors would start popping up if EB were the hire though. We saw that with Dan Campbell in Detroit just in the last week. The rumors started a few days before it could be finalized. I guess we should all be Bills fans this weekend if we want this over quickly.

gucci888 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. gucci888

My understanding was that teams weren’t allowed to interview candidates still in the playoff race starting last Sunday but that the NFL made an exception. Assuming if EB wants to have a meeting with DW4, it would have to be requested and approved by the league again.

treyk3 likes this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

so we are the first to fire and last to hire, lol, they had all season to gameplan this process

I'm wary of EB given other teams' reluctance to consider him and uncertainty about whether the offense is mostly him or Reid.

Plus, our defense needs a major upgrade, how does EB help in that regard?

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

So how hard is the media going to come down on the Texans when they don't hire Bieniemy? And how fast will they gloss over the fact that no other team hired him either?

raining threes likes this.
  8. gucci888

The DW4 trade demand and rumors will drown all of that out.

raining threes, treyk3, sammy and 2 others like this.
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If I were Eric B I'd think long and hard about accepting this head coaching gig should we offer. The Texans are a train wreck, if you have options, why would you want to work here? You'd be hired for the sole purpose of convincing Watson to stay, and even if they do, you're still in a tenuous situation with a horrible owner and an unqualified snake preacher running the show. The Texans are not going to be a successful team even if Watson stays, and you know that you will be seen as the scapegoat.

If I am Eric b, there's pretty much no chance that I will get another head coaching gig again if I come to Houston and things don't work out. It's worth it to wait a year for a better opportunity. If I were Eric B's advisor, I'd tell him to reject the Texans offer.

TWS1986, raining threes and Fulgore like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Only reason y they are gonna come down hard on us, is because once again the front office is doing jack sht to appease their franchise quarterback.

Football drama = more clicks. It's not the media's fault if the Texans front office is incompetent as sht.

UTSA2step likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Problem is, will he have any other offers. He's interviewed with something like 12 teams and had zero offers. None.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

He doesn’t have opportunities, hasn’t gotten opportunities and no guarantee in the future. (2nd or 3rd year in a row he could be shut out?)

Now if he was young & white...

Joe Brady is young and white. He already has a foot in the door and the door will always be open. He can wait.

(Anyone questioning Dan Campbell, how he got a job or how he didn’t call plays for the Saints?)
    (Anyone questioning Zac Taylor, how he didn’t call plays for the Rams? Oh right, he was simply in the presence of wunderkind Sean McVay)
    (Anyone questioning how losing college coach Kliff Kingsbury failed upwards?)

#1912 J.R., Jan 19, 2021
    treyk3, Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are black head coach candidate that has interviewed 12 times in 3 years with no offer. If the Texans offer u the job and you have a SUPERSTAR QB that happens to be black, no way you turn that down.

Other opportunities? There are 2 black HCs in the NFL and 1 of those has been with his team for OVER A DECADE. The NFL owners are not hiring Black coaches very often.

Another reason: Harden got tons of **** from ex-players for not giving Silas a chance. They know how hard it is for black coaches.
    Watson image would take a huge hit if he abandoned Bieniemy. Not giving the Brother a chance.

UTSA2step, Fulgore, Omihall23 and 2 others like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

On 610 this morning they were talking to a Colts beat writer & they asked what are Eberflus’ selling points.

First thing he mentioned was character. He said the Colts are high on character & value it very highly. They believe with good character a player is more likely to realize their potential. Bad character guys rarely do.

The beat writer said this is something Eberflus personifies.

15. gucci888

Eberflus might be my number 1 candidate right now but you have to go with whoever can talk DW4 off the ledge. Right or wrong, that’s where we are IMO.

All the DW4 quotes on Eberflus. Lot of it is normal PC stuff but would be nice if he still felt the same way with regards to him.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/lists/texans-share-thoughts-colts-matt-eberflus/

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Did someone say character (&) coach?

[​IMG]

;)

#1916 J.R., Jan 19, 2021
  17. conquistador#11

national broadcasts, people calling in from Hawaii talkin' bout that thing ^

18. Mashing

Mashing Member

Cal is a horrible owner, no doubt. But one thing the Texans give you is job security. You've got atleast 5 years before Cal even considers firing you. Plus, money and all that. HC gig is far more lucrative than an coordinator position.

19. body slam

body slam Member

yesterday evening on 610 Lopez predicted the Texans would announce their new head coach today

20. raining threes

Why is this?

Seems like a perfect hire for the Texans org.

Nobody else wants him so cal hires him. LMAO