1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Victor Oladipo's Bird Rights

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 19, 2021.

1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Ah. I thought you were talking about signing an FA after the season (I guess they could do S&T for that too).

Yeah, Miami could still try to trade for someone with a big salary too.

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

but vic will not want to stay at 20m you can bet that.

wiz wont give up beal unless he pulls a harden. they also probably get a much larger haul for him than miami can offer given his age.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's why his birdrights are so critical to Miami. They can go over the cap to give him his 30 million in the offseason...

This year though, he only counts for 20m, which is perfect for Miami.

Theoretically, they could grab Oladipo from us in a Herro package, and then pivot to Toronto and grab Pascal in a Precious+picks package.

I'm not sure If those are the targets, I'd bet that Beal comes first, but I think Miami would see some value in Victor's contract situation and desire to be in Miami. Also his excellent SG defense and dog mentality. (And he is available...)

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think it’s because he played in Indiana

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I like your passion.

Just an FOI (for our information): Miami was setting up contracts to obtain Giannis this offseason.....then he re-signed
    with the Bucks.

Heat team options this offseason:

Dragic ($19.4M)
    Iggy ($15M)
    Meyers Leonard ($10.2M)
    Avery Bradley ($5.9M)
    C Silva ($1.8M)

All Team Options.......so they don’t have to trade players. Maybe just not pick up Dragic option.

Oladipo would be eligible for $25M in year one of his extension.....so to his benefit in a trade or SnT.
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/05/opposing-teams-expected-to-monitor-pacers-oladipo.html
    (breakdown of year one salary top pay)

BHannes2BHonest and ChillyPete32 like this.
  6. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Clearly this article favors miami..."heavily protected first round pick" lmao...if all they are giving back is expirings and just sprinkling a heavily protected pick on top...it would be better to see what run we can make in the playoffs and lose him for nothing... i think another team easily trades a 1st rder for him even if its just a rental

jakedasnake likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don’t dispute what you are saying.

Herro is getting $3M as a second year player scoring 17.6 points a game (despite shooting 30% from 3).

I can see Riley pushing Dragic for Oladipo at the trade deadline. Why do they need Dragic if they can throw the threesome of Dipo/ Jimmy Butler/ Herro out there.....add BamBam and Duncan Robinson.

Rockets could get draft pick(s) and team option control of Dragic $19M next season.

Or best offer available from other teams.

I could see the same of Denver/Will Barton for Dipo. Dipo/Murray with Jokic could be good.
    Gary Harris works.....not scoring well this year.
    https://tradenba.com/trade-machine

#27 ApacheWarrior, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  8. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

They were setting up to sign Giannis, but after giving Bam his extension it was going to make it a lot harder. With declining team options (Dragic, etc.), renouncing cap holds/bird rights (Duncan Robinson, etc.), and trading Herro and Precious, who both could easily be traded and bring back draft capital, they can clear right at a max slot very easily and end up net positive with draft assets rather than having to attach picks to get rid of deals. But they still have to do all of that and gut their roster.

Next year the projected cap is about $112mm. Bam ($28mm), Jimmy ($36mm), Ryno's dead cap hit ($5.2mm lol), and cap holds for nine minimum salaries gets them to $78.2mm, so they'd be $33.8mm under the cap. That is basically one max salary slot.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Hey, don’t kill the messenger.

The thread was about the Bird rights. I answered it.

And the Oladipo extension is $25M......they would have to trade the whole team as some are saying. Dropping old man
    Dragic and old man Iggy helps cover that amount. And done.they would still be under or around $130M.

10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I was disputing the article, not you initially.

I don't think Dipo is going to sign an extension. I'm guessing he wants to get a max deal as a free agent. I'm just saying I broke out the cap numbers and they are what they are and I think that article from someone who covers Miami is underplaying our leverage.

Miami certainly will have leverage to make a trade with us, but it's more whether they are ready to make a deal or not and what the rest of the market looks like for Dipo. Assuming Dipo is going to demand and be able to get a max salary as a free agent, Riley can try to tell Stone he can just sign Dipo as a free agent, but it would be a pretty empty bluff because they aren't going to purge their entire roster to clear a max slot for him.

RudyTBag and ApacheWarrior like this.
  11. csc177

csc177 Member

no such thing as a healthy Wall - ppl need to stop

saleem likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I think the article states it correctly. We trade Dipo or lose him for nothing. It doesn’t have to be to Miami, but
    everyone in the league in and out feels he has made his wishes known......he wants to go to Heat this summer or sooner. Will other teams trade for Dipo......sure. They will trade with the belief he will be
    a rental though.

They would most definitely like to use the Rockets to offload salary. Dragic being one of them.

Dragic is 34 y/o logging in just 25.1 mins a game scoring 15.2 pts on 34% from 3....due to make $19.4M next season
    Iggy is currently 36 y/o logging in 19.5 mins a game scoring 3.9 points on 33% from 3....due to make $15M next season.

Easy for a team to want to upgrade from Dragic/Iggy to a younger Dipo that can score 20 plus points while defending.

This year or in the summer.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I think the market interest is going to up if he continues to ball like he did last night. I’m flexibly ok with multiple outcomes involving Dipo. He can stay or he can gain us more assets

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

That's not wrong, but we could also sign and trade him in the offseason if a team that doesn't have max space (including Miami) wants him and he wants to go there.

What I think that article and Miami fans with the same perspective miss is that they are just looking at leverage from their side and not from ours as well. If Miami declines all their team options in the offseason, they can have about $18 million in cap space. So if they make this trade vs doing nothing it means having Oladipo, Olynyk, and Dragic or having Herro (or whoever else we get from them in a trade) and whatever $18 million in space gets you this summer in what will be a player friendly market. If Oladipo proves he's getting back to his 2018 form then the former is probably a lot better if Miami wants to really compete this season and for the next couple of years in Jimmy's prime.

But of course that also discounts Miami making a run at trading for Beal, etc.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

A bidding war?

LOL

Do you know the Pacers just got a guy with a serious mass in his kidney for sending Oladipo away and still willing to accept the trade?

16. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

The team with the bird rights can also pay the player the most amount of money. A sign and trade in the off season can net the Rockets assets. Similar to when CP3 was signed and traded to us. We were able to get his bird rights and Clippers were able to attain Trez, Bev and picks.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Did you know that they had offered him multiple extensions and he said no? Context matters.

RudyTBag, saleem and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Your logic is so awesome.

So Oladipo said NO to the Pacers multiple times for any contract extensions but somehow you believe now his bird rights will mean anything when he is on a much worse team and somehow he suddenly will not want to make his own FA decision anymore?

LOL

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, what are you talking about? Your post made two "points." (1) You don't think there will be a bidding war. (2) Pacers accepted LeVert because Oladipo isn't valuable.

You are wrong on both points. First, they offered him multiple contract extensions, just not the max he desired and will likely get this offseason. So, they did value him, they just knew they wouldn't be able to retain him, so they sought some compensation. Now, we have his Bird rights, which means we are in the driver's seat to either (1) resign him, or (2) sign-and-trade him to a team like Miami which would require Bird rights to obtain him.

CHAMPBOY and RudyTBag like this.
  20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Again your logic failed.

Even assume what you said could happen (he will get max contract offer),

- First, they offered him multiple contract extensions, just not the max he desired and will likely get this offseason.
    - Now, we have his Bird rights, which means we are in the driver's seat to either (1) resign him.

Can you explain :

1. why will the Rockets offer him a max contract? If the Rockets will not offer him a max contract, then why will he even consider to talk to a lottery team comparing to at least a playoff team like the Pacers? What driver seat you are talking about?
    2. Now even assume the Rockets will offer him a max, what makes you believe the Rockets bird right will top another max offer from the Knicks? Are you talking about Oladipo will get the kind of super max like Harden (LOL), or extra one year (maybe) that the Knicks can not offer? Have you checked his age and understand extra year may not even be the best option for him as comparing to a 3+1 player option?

So understand the chance of the Rockets will resign him is rather low, or at least don't hold any advantage than a Knicks max offer, then explain this :

- why any contenders will now willing to give up anything more than the Pacers received in this trade to the Rockets? And what does the Pacers get back? A player with potential but with serious health issue and then a second rounder.

Now if you will assume he will be getting better numbers in the next month or so playing in a bad team like the Rockets to boost his trade value, then maybe, but that's has very little to do with his bird rights. He did not gain his bird right when traded to the Rockets, he has his bird rights in the Pacers and whatever the Pacers got back directly reflecting how much worth his bird rights will be.

#40 Texanasiafan, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021