1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dental / Endodontics question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kim, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is probably an esoteric issue, but I don't really want to call up dentist friends/family that I haven't talked to in forever just to ask. Hopefully someone here knows. Eh, not optimistic.

So I have a crown sitting on a small cavity. Due to it's size and location, the dentist says the cavity cannot be filled. Additionally, he thinks the root canal for that tooth wasn't done properly (over a decade ago) and probably needs to be redone. I think so too because I remember complaining about it soon after and they said the pain was normal and would subside. It did, but it's been sensitive on and off for years. I had other root canals with no problems.

Dentist tells me to go to an endo for a consult. The endo says the tooth could be beyond salvageable (dentist also said this), but to know for sure, I have to remove the crown. Once the crown is off, if the tooth is too far gone, then there's no point in doing a root canal redo - I would just lose the tooth and get a fakey. If the tooth is salvageable, then the endo would redo the root canal and my dentist would put on a new crown.

Here's the problem. Both the dentist and endo have the same plan of action. Neither wants to be the one to remove the crown. They're both saying it's the other person's job and that I should get a new dentist/endo. WTH? They both make sense. From the endo's perspective, once the crown is removed and if the tooth is dead, he doesn't want to waste an endo job for regular dentistry because there's nothing for him to do. From the dentist's perspective, he said I'm not supposed to waste time going to the denstist to remove the crown, then going to the endo for a root canal redo, then going back to the dentist to get a new crown.

Are they both being lazy, lol? Are they both giving good advice? Do I need a new dentist and a new endo?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fire them.

ElPigto and Kim like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Whatever happened to @rezdawg - wasn't that the name of someone who was a dentist here?

Yung-T, Buck Turgidson and arkoe like this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Does anyone here know?

He hasn't been on CF or discord for a long time and doesn't respond to online messages.
    Hope everything is alright. :(

Buck Turgidson and TWS1986 like this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

If I remember his name correctly, a Google search indicates he may have moved to California.

6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

and abandoned his CF Brehs?!

7. BALLhog 247 365

The endodontist’s only responsibility is to re-do the root canal. It should be on the dentist to remove the crown and really assess if he’ll be able to put a new crown on once all the decay is removed.