1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your best bet is follow Houston Health.

https://twitter.com/HoustonHealth

I would check in the mornings between 8 am and 10 am, especially Thursday through Saturday. Whenever they announce it on Twitter, you basically have 10 to 20 minutes to sign up. You need your dad's name, birth date, phone number and email (worst case, you can use your phone number and email). Please have that information ready ahead of time.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Much appreciated! I was actually already following Houston Health. Just wanted to know if there were more outlets. Thank you!!

3. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No problem. Also, take a screenshot of your confirmation page. Their email and text message confirmation systems do not always work.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So they finally updated the vaccine data....

It showed zero vaccine doses distributed over the past 4 days. I know we didn't have any in reserve but I still expected Pfizer and Moderna to be supplying doses daily. I know Moderna just recently upped its production guidance for this year as well. It looks like vaccinations are being slowed due to this lack of distribution since some states are holding off more shots until they know they will have the ability to give the 2nd dose.

Over the past 4 days we did 3.4 million vaccinations and our 7 day rolling average is at 911k/day. Texas has 1.22 million people with at least 1 dose.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
    https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Amiga likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

6. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Do you know of a site that shows number of vaccines distributed on a time series? I'd like to see how the number of doses shipped on a week to week basis.

One would think that the federal government giving Pfizer/Moderna the green light to ship out any vaccines held for second doses would at least temporarily boost distribution. On the other hand, both companies have been producing vaccines 'at risk' since the summer so maybe the built up stock are drying up. Now we're stuck with the real production rate of these vaccines.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And now we get the real update...they have shipped about 4.83 million doses over the past 5 days so that means deliveries are keeping up with injections.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think this was pretty much known, right? I think the manufacturers (or at least one) even came out and said, if there's a "shortage", it isn't because of them. It's a distribution problem, not a supply problem yet, from everything I've been hearing. It's like these vaccines are held up because of bottleneck in the supply chain somewhere and sitting there or there really is no more vaccine in the "federal supply". Maybe it's the county governments or something. It all sounds looney.

Along that line of thought, my uncle is due for his 2nd shot from Randall's, I think, but they're saying they don't have enough supply, so ....

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I really couldn't get a good grasp on that federal supply story. It didn't make much sense to me from what I had read. I think things are looking fine going forward with everything in motion. I also saw the WHO will approve the Oxford/Aztrazenca vaccine soon so we should be as well.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's only going to get worse as the government is set to open up the vaccine to everyone. It's why the CDC has started to say that there is no time limit on getting the 2nd shot. They know most people won't be able to get that second shot so they are trying to make people think it's not important to have.....just like when they tried to tell people there was no need for PPE when they were worried about not having enough supply for themselves.

Hopefully at some point they fix whatever is causing the supply shortages, but I'd imagine they are going to get REALLY bad in the next month or so now that everyone is set to be eligible for the vaccine.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For the second shot, you have to go back to the same place, right? Like you can't get the first shot at your doctor's office and the 2nd shot at Buc-ee's (lol), right? Or am I mistaken?

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Didn’t read entire thread.

What’s the vaccine’s efficacy if you’re unable to get the second dose at the recommended gap of 4 weeks?

Is one dose sufficient?

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I believe it's 50% according to Pfizer, but the U.K. is stating they believe it's closer to 33% without the 2nd dose. All agree it's about 95% with the 2nd dose.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't know if you *have to* but I do know it's very hard to get the 2nd shot at a place if you've received the 1s shot somewhere else.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It shouldn't decline if you have to wait longer than 4 weeks. One dose is not viewed as sufficient to completely stop infection, but it should be sufficient to stop you from having a severe infection. The second dose should be able to be taken longer than 4 weeks later and might possibly even be more effective if it's taken later than 4 weeks later.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No the CDC site doesn't provide that or historical data. I've just been screenshotting it to track.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Roughly another 2 million doses delivered and 1 million vaccinated today. We are up to 15 million people with at least 1 dose.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

It’s been 1 week after I got my 2nd Pfizer shot. had a slight headache the next day, no other symptoms.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member