1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is Delonte West

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsLegend, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He's probably ask Delonte if he would be the Rockets' coach for room and board.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If Delonte gave him gas money and purchased a $100 gift card for Landry's, then sure why not?

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, someone has to work at Kemah

Xerobull and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My barber actually saw him on the street down in the VA Hospital area. Homelessness in Dallas is on the rise due to higher rents, etc. Plus the city has been very active in closing down homeless encampments located under the freeways. From what has been reported the Mavs - especially Mark Cuban & Dirk - have tried to help him in the past but he refuses any assistance. However, yesterday TMZ reported some good news:

Mark Cuban Picks Delonte West Up At Gas Station, Family Hoping For Rehab
    MARK CUBANRECONNECTS W/ DELONTE WEST... Family Hoping For Rehab

9/28/2020 4:32 PM PT

EXCLUSIVE

HERE TO HELP
    TMZSports.com

Mark Cuban is personally helping Delonte West get back on his feet ... with the Dallas Mavericks owner picking up the ex-NBA star at a gas station in Texas.

As we previously reported, the former Cleveland Cavaliers guard has fallen on tough times in recent years ... and was most recently seen holding a sign on the street in Dallas last week.

Sources connected to West's family tell us that Cuban -- who had been trying to reach DW on the phone for days -- finally got in contact with Delonte ... who agreed to meet the Mavs owner on Monday in Dallas.

We're told Cuban took West to a local hotel ... while his family formulates a game plan.

Our sources tell us West's circle of fam and friends have been trying desperately to get Delonte to go to rehab ... and he now seems open to the idea.

We're even told Cuban has offered to help cover Delonte's cost for treatment.

FYI, West played for Cuban's Dallas Mavs from 2011-2012.

As we previously reported, the NBA, the NBA Players Association, Doc Rivers, Jameer Nelson and others have tried to get Delonte help in the past.

We've reached out to Cuban and the Mavs for comment ... so far, no word back.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/28/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-delonte-west-gas-station-video/

abaker28 and jdiggidy like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"...West has checked into rehab facility in Florida." ... When will the next Delonte West story pop up? 3 months? 6 months? A year?

abaker28, jdiggidy and Ramo$e like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not sure if you guys have seen this scoop!!!:

Reports: Mark Cuban reaches out to help Delonte West
    From NBA Twitter and media reports

Sep 29, 2020 11:57 AM ET

Delonte West last played in the NBA in the 2011-12 season.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban picked up former Mavs player Delonte West at a gas station in Texas and is attempting to get help for West, per multiple reports.

TMZ Sports first reported the news of Cuban picking up West, who played for the Mavs in the 2011-12 season. West disclosed in 2009 that he has bipolar disorder and has struggled with off-the-court issues for years. Cuban confirmed to ESPN's Tim MacMahon that he is attempting to help West get his life back on track.

Per The Athletic's Shams Charania, Cuban reunited West with his mother, Delphina Addison, in Dallas on Monday and West has now checked into a rehab center in Florida. Cuban had asked Addison how he could help and she said she simply needed someone to find West. Cuban waited with West in a hotel until Addison arrived at a hotel and then West entered rehab, Charania reports.

Friends and family of West, reports TMZ Sports, have been trying to get West to go to a drug rehabilitation facility and Cuban has offered to pay for treatment. In two videos that went viral in January, West was shown being hit by another man in a street near Washington D.C. In the other, a shirtless, handcuffed West was being asked about the attack.

Several former teammates and coaches -- as well as Cuban -- have expressed concern for West. Cuban reportedly made an attempt recently to help West after photos of him panhandling in the Dallas area circulated online last week.

West was the No. 24 overall pick of the 2005 draft by the Boston Celtics and played eight seasons in the NBA, averaging 9.7 points, 2.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.1 steals per game. His last NBA season was in 2011-12 with Dallas, when he averaged 9.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 3.2 apg and 1.3 spg in 44 games. He was eventually waived by the Mavs that season for conduct detrimental to the team.

After his playing days in the NBA ended, West played for the Mavericks' NBA G League franchise, the Texas Legends. He logged two separate stints with the Legends, playing in eight games in 2012-13 (averaging 10.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.4 apg and 2.3 spg) and four games in 2014-15 (14.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.8 apg, 2.3 spg). He was also a part of the LA Clippers' Summer League team in 2014, but was waived shortly after that ended.

7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I was never a fan of Cuban, mostly because I despised the Mavs, their fans, and the non-sense related to sending tapes in on Yao to the league, Gersson Rosas ridiculously short stint as GM made me question if Cuban was a good leader or control freak, the fact that he said Youtube would be a failure made me question if he just got lucky with winning the .com lottery and cashing out early, there is a character on Silcon that is based on someone getting lucky doing the exact same thing. I don't see him on the sidelines going nuts as much anymore which bothered me (always felt like having your owner being that visibly angry was not good for player moral)

Over the past decade he has come off as someone completely different, I. He seems like a great team owner and seems to genuinely care about giving back and improving our country. He has some interesting ideas regarding the economy that makes sense to me, to the point that if he ever ran for office I would consider voting for the guy. Good to see he has gone above and beyond to help out Delonte.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Ahhh. Wasn't there a bunch of sexual misconduct allegations within his front office?

King1 likes this.
  9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Forgot about that, but I do think that was a while back and he seemed like he took genuine action and he himself was not involved in it. I Also remember him keeping his staff in a warehouse with fans pointed at them, he liked the open concept and felt it kept everyone on their toes, lol another ridiculous thing I hope he has corrected. Either way I am just looking at the past few years, seems like maybe he has been humbled with age post Deandre fiasco and not being as competitive as they once were. It makes seeing Luka succeed slightly enjoyable at times.

#69 BallSoHarden, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Delonte West’s world of paranoia and addiction before help finally came
    By Justin Terranova

October 1, 2020 | 10:32am | Updated

Delonte West's friend offers to help him through his sobriety struggles

A friend of Delonte West showed an unsettling glimpse into the life of the former NBA guard days before he entered rehab in Florida.

Lenora “Quinn” Cole shared video of time she had spent with West. Cole says she has been trying to help West for six months since she met him begging for money outside a Kroger store in Las Colinas, Texas.

“He’s a sweet and humble person, he’s not violent or aggressive at all, ever,” she said. “He has a good heart and a good sense of humor, he’s just addicted to embalming fluid and alcohol. It’s really sad.

“I was trying to get him help, but he was really paranoid, he didn’t seem to trust anyone but me. It was really hard to convince him that he needed to accept professional help and go into rehab.”

That help now appears to have come. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban stepped in after another disturbing photo of the 37-year-old West emerged last week in Dallas. The Athletic reported that Cuban spoke with West’s mother, Delphina Addison, and he arranged to meet West at a gas station. Cuban took West to Addison at a hotel and he entered a rehab facility in Florida.

Delonte West and friend Lenora ColeLenora Cole / SWNS.COM
    West had been public about battling bipolar disorder since his time as a player with the Celtics, Sonics, Cavaliers and Mavericks. The guard ended his NBA career with Dallas in 2015.

“I pay his phone bill and try to make sure he’s safe as best I can, I don’t earn much, but I don’t drink or smoke, so I can afford to give him a little bit of money,” said Cole, who works for a school bus service.

“He’s in a really bad place right now but I think he’s finally ready to accept some help to get sober and get his life back on track.”

Concern for West grew through the years after reports surfaced of him looking disheveled in Houston in 2016. Then in January of this year, a video of him getting beaten up in Washington, DC, went public.

The NBA community, including his former St. Joseph’s teammate Jameer Nelson, voiced concern and their desire to help him.

Now, it has come.

“I’m so thankful that Mark stepped in to help him get what he needs,” Cole said. “This is exactly what I was praying for. I love Delonte like a little brother, he’s a good person. I really think this will be a turning point for him.”

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Delonte going ride that horse through his home town road, celebrating sobriety!

beginning of the vid is perfect

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

How many people could turn it around if only they had a billionaire's support? Good for him. I'm serious.

JumpMan likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuban may be annoying at times but the guy does have a good heart,

16. mig0s

mig0s Member

Tillman would pay him under the table for less than minimum wage to work at Landry's

17. HardenVolumeOne

great gesture by mark cuban to help get delonte west off his feet

players will remember this and will want to play for dallas as free-agents in the future

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

Playing with drugs is dangerous. Once you cross the line its one way street. From what i heard smoking crack even once is crossing this line. Dont ever smoke blunt you aint seen rolled up kids thats one of the ways of leeches getting you into this habit