1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I feel like that fan anger will backfire a little bit though, if he leaves without giving the team a chance to repair the damage.

If his intention has been to leave all along then just say it.

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1882 J.R., Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Not necessarily. Cal McNair has to earn Watson’s trust again after going back on his word during the GM and coaching search. It also didn’t help matters that when given a chance to fire Jack Easterby, McNair refused.
    Hiring Bieniemy or one of Watson’s preferred candidates is a step in the right direction, but more has to be done to repair the relationship. McNair has to continue to show he cares about Watson’s input through his actions moving forward.

If you were a respected employee at your company, and your boss promised you would have input in the hiring of a new team member, you would be very angry to find out that all of your recommendations were ignored. Also, it’s bad enough your boss ignored your input, but lying to your face about caring about your opinion makes it even worse. It’s the type of action that would make anyone start looking for a new job, and hiring one of your recommended candidates after the fact isn’t enough to wipe the distrust away, yet.

#1883 DVauthrin, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    pugsly8422 and Red.Glare like this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I read it as a culmination of things including Cal telling Watson one thing about the GM search only to do another, not even requesting interviews for Saleh and EB (initially), all while double-downing on Easterby along the way. Couple that with some of the previous moves that obviously has not worked out, a 4-10 season, and general lack of resources, I can see why Watson is not happy with things overall.

5. gucci888

If JJ asks for a trade, does he get the same "fickle and immature young athlete" tag?

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

JJ Watt is significantly older than 25 years old and has a good head on his shoulders. He's the consummate professional. Hard working, responsible, team-oriented, and high integrity.

7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

And he’s white, which is probably the most important thing to you.

8. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Wow, a little sensitive are we? His race has no bearing whatsoever on my assessment. Shame on you for even suggesting it.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  9. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Are you saying Watson isn't hard working, responsible, team oriented and high integrity?

10. gucci888

But giving in would be player appeasement none the less right? Something you seem to be vehemently again no?

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Oh really now? All Watson is asking is for this ownership and organization to get on the right page and start doing the things to develop a winning culture here. But you never even heard what he was saying because you, like Bob & Cal, Easterby and O'Brien, are incensed that a "black" athlete dare question authority. After all, he should be "grateful" to have been given the "opportunity" by the McNairs to make sooooo much money while playing a "game". Can't be having the inmates run the prison, right?

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Interesting there hasn't been any more chatter about the coaching search.

I'm guessing Eric Bieniemy ultimately is the guy and we see Watson buy in.

Hopefully we can get a leak sometime this afternoon about EB.

HEB (Hire Eric Bieniemy)

UTSA2step likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The sources and Mort-blasts only come up prior to football pre-game shows. Currently PFT is trying to decipher subtext in Deshaun quoting rap lyrics. I really wonder if they learned how to do that in journalism school...

DVauthrin, Two Sandwiches and treyk3 like this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I studied Journalism in undergrad and I promise these guys aren't following any of the guidance taught there.

15. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Well, he’s also asking for a trade, control over the HC search, and input on the GM search. So there’s that.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He hasn't asked for a trade... and it was Cal who approached him several months ago and said he would have input in those decisions going forward.

The dumb white owner is being a dumb white owner.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Do you have any nfl sources?

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Proof of him verbally asking for a trade?
    Proof of him verbally wanting control in looking for the next head coach?

As far as input goes...shame on him for being the most important employee for the organization and wanting his voice to be heard, I guess. How terrible of Deshaun to want his opinion to matter.

DVauthrin likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Nah. I don’t with basketball either. I just had some random information shared with me last week.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member