1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Overboard or one sided irrational fear?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROXRAN, Jan 19, 2021.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The cherry-picked quote isn't defensible. I can trust soldiers to put aside their personal politics and do their duty of protecting the inauguration. That doesn't mean the screening isn't sensible though. While I can trust conservative soldiers, there may be some who have joined some of these fringe rightwing groups with anti-government beliefs. Those such soldiers shouldn't be allowed to serve.

Reeko, deb4rockets, malakas and 4 others like this.
  2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

You know how I feel ...let’s hope for nice things going forward and less vitriol and nonsense based on irrational fear on both sides

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So you agree that any active duty national guard servicember who is still on facebook agreeing with Donald that the election is stolen shouldn't be at the Capitol guarding the inauguration.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Repugs can't melt away into the "Independent Libertarian" ether like they did with Shrub, who gave handouts to the rich and rained down bombs on ferriners with impunity like any good Con is taught to do.

Now that Dems are pissed enough to hold Repugs accountable, only recourse is to double down on Repug things.

5. fchowd0311

Any servicemember who believes the election was stolen still to this day should not be guarding the inauguration. You don't need to explicitly in some extremist group to be dangerous if you believe the election was actually stolen and all legal recourse has been spent.

AkeemTheDreem86 and malakas like this.
  6. ROXRAN

No you Winnie the Pooh PTSD LARPer , I lived with them , went camping, heard the stories, saw the look in their eyes as they discussed slicing someone’s neck in the Middle East because the situation dictated a quick response. I understand war is ugly and no I don’t have a hero complex worship whatever that means ..I know there are lines that get crossed but a sense of duty is absolutely what binds our great service people. I hope you get your PTSD checked out and controlled . The paranoia is not good. We don’t need another Fort Hood situation

7. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I don't lump in all Trump voters as seditionists but I do think the percentage who are is not inconsequential. I do think a large percentage of Trump voters live in a different reality than the average american because of all the misleading news they get. Now I will be fair and say the news on both spectrums is not exactly honest but I find the right's to be way more egregious. The for profit model in conjuction with social media has placed a divide among us which I fear we may not be able to reconcile from. That said, I will not stop trying as the stakes are too high. I shudder to think what the fallout would be from a total failure of coming together.

#27 nacho bidness, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    ROXRAN and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. fchowd0311

Yes you heard stories. A lot of veterans have ego issued and exaggerate claims. You didn't serve in infantry. You don't know the culture. Because you are friends with some outside that work environment, doesn't mean you have some in depth knowledge of the culture.

I'm assuming that fort hood reference is you stating that I'm a potential fort hood shooter. That's awesome dude. Keep it up.

9. ROXRAN

Completely understandable and yet you have a fchow spitting in the face of servicemen , this is the same bleak and angry outlook and rationale which created the Hasan shooter.
    Please get your PTSD checked out fchow , don’t be like your brother Hasan

10. fchowd0311

I stated that any active duty servicemember who still is sharing on social media that the election was stolen shouldn't be guarding the inauguration.

Tell me where you disagree with that notion.

11. fchowd0311

I don't think you are going to garner any sympathy for your position if you keep on stating I'm a potential terroist shooter. Would be even worse if you are pointing to Major Hasan because you know I have a Muslim background.

So go back to the drawing board and find a different angle.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Whatever.

It must be a slow news day.

What I know is that less than two weeks ago there was an effort by Trump supporters to take the Capitol. There were pipe bombs, there were cars pulled over full of weapons.

Even though it was well known on social media and extremist websites (that the government monitors) that Trump supporters would be coming into town to protest the election, the amount of security was NOT increased.

Even though tens of thousands of protesters were present and actively trying to break into the Capitol, and a request for the National Guard was made, it was not approved until the 5th time it was requested and it was not Trump that approved the order.

We have congressmen claiming that the panic switches in their offices were ripped off the wall.

We have claims from congressmen that conservative congressmen were doing a walk through of the Capitol building in the days leading to the storming of the Capitol.

We have armed insurrectionists inside the Capitol.

We have insurrectionists with adult zip ties used to kidnap people and we had at least one hanging station established.

So far every single protester arrested (other than two) have been connected to right win politics.

We have people that entered the Capitol that are aligned with White Supremacy groups, anti-government groups and other far out groups.

While I would not have gone on television and raised alarm over the politics of those protecting the President tomorrow, I understand the concern...... to some when they see certain Capitol police opening the doorways into allow insurrectionists in, and when they laugh and shake hands with protesters that think Auschwitz was a good thing, it raises concerns.

Also the federal government has actually removed at least two of the National Guardsmen after doing background checks.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think a serviceman can be a threat at the inauguration without coordinating with a larger team to make something happen. So, guys who are members of a rightwing group could be a credible threat because they have an organization they could conspire with. Joining a group to find co-conspirators is probably the first step to take for someone who wants to do something complex to make trouble. I can tolerate folks having kooky and wrong views if they are alone in it. Maybe could attempt to go out in a blaze of glory, but very unlikely to reach the new president.

I'm certainly not going question the validity of a veteran's views on the service he used to be a member of.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

As a side note.

I am not sure that it is a good luck to call/compare someone that served in the military, suffered discrimination in the military and was injured badly and received commendation in the same military "Hasan".

Especially when that same poster has been very critical of Islam and is an atheist.

15. fchowd0311

Ehh, didn't the FBI come out with a report that most of modern terror attacks are going to be from lone wolves due to the nature of how people get radicalized online?

These troops aren't entitled to a detail to guard the inauguration. I'm not asking for their careers to halt or opportunities for promotions to be frozen. They just shouldn't be trusted guarding the inauguration or any detail securing the next president.

JuanValdez and malakas like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I just think there are varying degrees of where these 74 million Americans are. It is a bit "Overboard" to make assertions that they are all seditionist traitors, but they all at least have some varying degree of inclination towards authoritarianism. Some of that is due solely by ignorance. Some is due to lies by FoxNews, and Facebook. But they all believe that Democracy as we know it has failed them and it's time to move towards whatever they think Trumpism in full un-restraint power looks like.

They ALL will say they are for Democracy, and voting, etc. etc. but when you frame the question as I have done quite a few times to say "Why do you believe giving Trump more Authoritarian powers (even used the term Authoritarian a few times) is a good idea right now"... they ALL will say well the radical left, Antifa, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, George Soros etc. etc. etc. is such a threat to our country that they are fully okay with Trump taking on more un-checked powers. ALL OF THEM.

I believe you mentioned before you live in Greece so it might be hard to understand MAGA folks. These are mostly good people in many ways, but have been lied to and radicalized so much by propaganda by Fox, Facebook, and other media sources that ALL OF THEM believe whole heartily that all of the American institutions of Democracy are soooo dangerous that a new Autocratic form of government is an absolute necessity. It's not an endorsement of fascism on its face. It's fear driven need they think they have.

malakas likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

He said.... "might"..... so you might not be obvi....

18. fchowd0311

It's now 12 national guard members that have been removed from the detail. Wouldn't be surprised if that number increases more.

malakas and Nook like this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you have an irrational fear of democrats - no one said white people are evil. I disagree with this Congressman but he is right that the national guard may have people who are considering acts of sedition given the fact that many of the rioters were from military and police backgrounds.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, the research and leaked and declassified state department information has stated for nearly 30 years that the large concern for terrorism is domestic terrorism by white males with extremist right wing views, and that they will be at best organized in cells and more likely will be lone wolf operations with adherence to a popular figure in the movement.

We are already seeing that a small "cell" can do damage (Oklahoma Bombing) and we have seen lots of successful efforts recently. Look no farther than Dylann Roof who was asked "Why did you do it?" and he said "Someone needed to."

Further, it is known that far right extremists are attracted to the military because they are predisposed to an authoritarian structure.

AleksandarN and malakas like this.