1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My only hope at this point is if they can hire Bienemy. Then EB reaches out to Deshaun and basically talks him down. Reminds him that he really doesn't need to have much, if any, interaction with McNair and instead should just be engaging EB, Caserio and and the other lesser coaches. Maybe that will be enough to convince him things can get better. Hopefully.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I really hope so. The Texans will more than likely never draft a QB as good as Watson for the rest of their franchise's existence. To trade him away at 25 would be the most ultimate fail a sports team owner could do.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont buy this jets talk

NO ONE would willingly be traded there. Deshaun is wanted by every team in the league, he's not settling on the jets lol

treyk3 likes this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The NY Media just wants to force it.

They forced the Cole narrative. It worked. The Yankees offered the most money.

They forced the Harden narrative. It worked. The Nets were clearly his best option to win now. The package the Rockets got wasn't great unless you love to gamble.

They have forced the Springer narrative and now it's Watson's turn.

Will Springer go to a team that just fired its GM for dick picks? I think he ends up in Toronto. The media wants NY.

Will Watson go to a team that is ran worse than the Texans? We'll see. I think he stays. The media wants NY. They can offer a top package for Watson but any trade of Watson will basically set back the team 10 years.

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Ok I listened to this and I feel a little better. I do trust Aaron Wilson and he seems to think things are thawing, so I hope he is right.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think a lot is he likes Saleh and they have picks to spare. Plus it’s New York and the league/media would love Deshaun there.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Ask yourself, if you were DeShaun Watson, would you want to stay a Texan?

Take being a fan out of the equation..... and imagine that you are talented, as good and as marketable as Watson.

Why would you have any confidence in the Texans organization? Their ownership has proven to be poor. They do not have their top draft picks this year and are not exactly loaded with talent....... you have an owner with a low IQ that has proven to be influenced by the wrong people.

If Watson was my son or I was his agent, I would try to get him out of town too.

The idea that the Texans will stop it is comical as well.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Last week he liked Flores and the Miami culture. This week it’s Saleh and the Jets.

It’s all been media driven. They’ve gotten two weeks worth of clicks/viewers on not a tremendous amount of content other than watsons’s initial reaction after Casserio was hired while he was on vacation.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My question, as a non fan, is why did he sign an extension?

10. fchowd0311

I mean at the end of the day, the Texans origination is the one that has to pull the trigger on a trade. So they have the leverage. Is Watson willing to tank his career legacy by sitting out multiple seasons smack dab in the middle of his prime years?

Nook likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

This is probably the biggest issue I have with Watson. He knew about these culture issues before he signed that extention. He values his career earnings over culture with that signing and there is nothing wrong with that as I'm sure 99.99% of players in the league also hold the same priorities including me if I was in the same situation.

So it's not that I'm blaming him for singing the extention. I'm just curious why he's complaining now if he truly cares about the bad culture of the team which is a rightful complaint from the outside looking in.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Because it was the smart thing to do, and he (like every other high profile athlete) knows that he can force his way out if he really wants to.

The Texans aren't going to just let him sit out for multiple seasons, they will trade him...... just like every other high profile athlete that has demanded a trade and has stuck to it. The Texans would take the multitude of picks they would get.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

We have national media going around saying he is gone to multiple different teams.

We have Cal coming out and doubling down on Easterby.

We have Watson posting cryptic song lyrics.

I have no clue what is going to happen, but this is typical Texans drama.

awc713 and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

The answer is because he can have both. He and his agent know that they can get the security of a long contract and still force a trade. When teams sign elite players to long term contracts they no longer are guaranteed that player will be on their team until the contract expires. What there teams are getting is a guarantee that they will get something good back for the player if they become disgruntled.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to say it but, the quickest way out of the current roster purgatory the Texans find themselves in is to raid the Jets cabinet. Get out from that salary. Take those rookie contracts for the next few years. Could be the quickest rebuild ever. Although you would have to have Cal sit in a corner with a Sunday School coloring book and stay away from the big boys church pew to make this go down the right way. Lots of money freed up, lots of picks.
    I hate it but just think of the possibilities.
    I hate to think of players as just assets, but isn't that what they really are. Just so happened Apple stock ended up in Forrest Gumps hand

#875 Kemahkeith, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If we have an owner who openly chooses his buddy in a role he's grossly unqualified for over far and away the most important position player in the sport, there are no possibilities.

We all knew Tommy Boy was an idiot, but the incompetence we've seen during this episode is astounding. He has absolutely zero desire to put good people in place.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

maybe it’s easy enough in the NBA... but it’s far more complicated in the NFL.. especially once players start missing game checks.

you also just can’t play your way into shape or show up and start balling. Takes months of preparation and being on the same page with the coaches and receivers.

it’s unprecedented, really.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Jets are not like those other teams. They are like the Knicks. They media pushes players to MSG all they want and it still never happens. Same for the Jets.

treyk3 and Fulgore like this.
  19. ktex

ktex Member

Let him sit out all next year, tank and get number one pick, then trade him for king's ransom.

UTSA2step and Kemahkeith like this.
  20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Is this our last year of no first round pick??