1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo: Our better days are ahead. Everyone just stay patient.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 18, 2021.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Rockets have no shot at a top 4 seed. They don't have a superstar and they don't have many glue guys outside of PJ. Wall, Wood, and Oladipo are all good scorers but they don't have a ton of great complimentary skills and they don't fit each other. They also don't have any great defenders. This team is not going to be better than the Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets, Jazz, or Suns. With no off-season, a new coach, and basically a brand new roster they would be lucky not to finish in the bottom 10 in the league.

joshuaao, saleem and Drogba like this.
  2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was trying to think of comps of fring all star players in their prime on expiring contracts traded at the deadline. Best I could come up with in recent memory was Tobias Harris -- he was traded with Mike Scott and Boban (mildly useful pieces) and Wilson for Muscala, Wilson Chandler, Landry Shamet (rookie first round pick), 2 future firsts and 2 future 2nds (from Detroit. Including Shamet, that's basically 3 first round picks and a pair of high 2nds for Harris.

Jrue Holiday would also be a decent comp from a value perspective in my view, given he could end up opting out of his deal this year.

joshuaao, BHannes2BHonest and Nook like this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So does every general manager in the league. Which is why it'll likely be Oladipo out and Gordon and Wall collecting paychecks while producing far less than their contracts in the coming years as we rebuild.

JuNx likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

It is going to be hard to find a clean comparison because of the unique situation.

He is a borderline all star that isn't long in the tooth...... but he also is coming off a very serious injury, has made it clear where he wants to play and is going to possibly require more money than he is worth to resign.

Essentially the Rockets (if they want to trade him) need to find a playoff team that thinks he takes them to the next level, and is willing to drop a #1 or possible a couple #1's if the Rockets have to take salary beyond this season.

saleem likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

THIS IS SO ****ING REFRESHING TO HEAR !!!!!!!!!

I watched the game with my boys and even though we lost I was like, those turnovers will clean up, and the defense will get better - and you add in Wall you have something.

There are redundant parts that should be benched but let Silas figure that out.

DD

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don’t think it’s as grim as you think. Gordon has value. somebody will trade for him.

7. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

Wait until house and wall are back.

ohh and sign Gerald green please.

BHannes2BHonest and JuNx like this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wall has to go

Rocket River

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Need to preserve this for prosperity
    Even if we not winning in 5 yrs. . . .. . DD will be saying the same thing

Rocket River

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Top 4 seed in the future, like starting next year. Wall was once upon a time a superstar and Oladipo was on the verge of being a superstar. You're acting like having three all star level players isn't enough talent. Horford, Teague, Milsap and Korver was enough to be a #1 seed at one point in time. I don't think that kind of team would be difficult to replicate. No championship expectations but a team that could be fun to watch as a stop gap.

It's too late for that. Too big of a hole and not just in the standings. This team needs time to gel. 6-10 seed this year.

11. DaDakota

We haven't won since '95 - what is your point?

DD

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh I believe there are teams that would want him. I just think ala Jeremy Lin we'd have to attach a 1st round pick to that contract to get it done. And since we've got to pay somebody in these coming rebuild years, I'd rather just pay Eric Gordon than lose a pick to be rid of him.

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

Cmon DD, you don't honestly believe there will be "something" there is nothing. Wall can't even stay healthy and even if everything starts to work out to perfection we are still just barely maybe close to making the playoffs which seems absurdly stupid to talk about right now because we aren't making them. We just came from a team that won tons of regular season games for 8 yrs.... Its going to be tough getting used to losing again. Hoping its not long before we have some fight again in Houston.

14. DaDakota

I would bench Gordon, he just shoots too much - he is no longer that accurate - he is streaky - so play him when he is hot, bench him if he misses.

After we traded CP3, I knew that Harden's window was closed, said so......he was never going to lead this team anywhere, I am very happy with the haul we got out of it, and a good look at Oladipo too - Do I think we are a championship team - no, of course not, but we weren't anyway - so for me, I just want to see the team play hard, and get better - and I don't think the trading is all done....

With Wall, Olidipo and Wood, we have 3 legitimate 20ppg scorers - we can do some damage.

DD

Williamson and JuNx like this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's happening soon unless we want Westbrook back.

In two years? Maybe we can deal him. But before then? We'll have to pay a team to take Wall.

16. DaDakota

I am just enjoying seeing all 5 guys hustling, touching the ball, playing hard on both ends, and that everyone on the floor is trying to score the ball when they are shooting, not just trying to game the referees for Free throws.

I get that Harden was great at it, but man in the playoffs when the refs let them play that strategy failed over and over again.

Just enjoying seeing a new fresh start with a real good coach - and see what the Rockets can do.

Wall is good
    Wood is good
    Oladipo is good

We have 3 medium level stars there, all star level players.....not superstar, but definitely all stars....if we can flip PJ or Gordon - and Boogie finds his game....we might do some damage

In the end, I am just going to enjoy watching a young team fighting HARD night in and night out.

DD

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Is Wall/Oladipo the modern day Francis/Mobley?

joshuaao and Jayzers_100 like this.
  19. eman

eman Contributing Member

I like Oladipo's attitude. And hope he'll add lobs to his passing skill set.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Next Week:

"Victor Oladipo traded to the Miami Heat"

I dont believe these athletes any more.

Being a Houston sports fan turns you into the most jaded and pessimistic fan imaginable.

(I want to feel happy and excited, but then I realize its Victor Oladipo. Sigh.)

Entropy likes this.