1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Do we really trust Cal not to screw up a rebuild too?

Red.Glare and awc713 like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

This is a funny combo of statements.

dookiester likes this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

Soon the inmates will run the prison

UTSA2step and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

Maybe he saw how the franchise was being run and wanted to secure a lifetime of wealth before a disaster like Dak Prescott happened. His job is to look out for his own future. If he played the Texans like fools, well, that's on the Texans for being run by a bunch of idiots and repeatedly doubling down on those idiots.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean as a fan this is a betrayal of you by your team's best player, but from the player's perspective this is what he should do.

Never forget that players generally don't care about the name on the front of the jersey, don't care about the fans, etc. They are workers at a job. We just clients to them.

Major and Chilly_Pete like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

If you're Brady, and you have a choice of jobs in the next couple of years, why do you join the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL? What does that do to your future in the league?

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Caserio is here now

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Security.

A bird in hand is better then 2 in the bush.

9. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Right but so is Easterby. I know they are bros, but things can sour quickly in the Texans front office. There always seem to be power struggles.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I hate that I’m going to be on the side of the owners with this.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. justtxyank

Head coaching job, head coaching salary. Probably get a guaranteed 4-6 year deal at somewhere between 3-5 times his current earnings.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Exactly - and the same is said in reverse. Fans are not really fans of players in the end either - they are fans of the teams and the players are just disposable parts. Look at how Astros fans turned on Cole for pursuing what's best for him. Fans only care for players while they are serving the fan's interests. There's no loyalty in either direction beyond that.

Two Sandwiches and justtxyank like this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

What does the hat say?

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  14. justtxyank

Right. It's a transaction relationship. It's gotten worse over the years.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

Agreed - but if you're in the running for other head coaching positions (and no one seems to doubt that Brady is), why pick the Texans? You might have to wait a year, but if you can get a healthier situation, do you wait? He's so young that he has a potential 30+ yr career ahead of him - starting it out on the right foot can pay huge dividends down the line. Similar to how Mahomes ending up in KC instead being the #1 pick probably made him far, far richer and more successful in the end.

It's different for a Jim Caldwell or whatnot who's closer to the end of their careers.

16. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Deshaun is expected to ask for a trade in the coming weeks. The Texans as a franchise have problems that run very deep that cannot be fixed by a head coach or GM. I tell you this now as a warning, they are not interested in winning. They truly believe they are on a divine path from God and that will lead them to success.

It is over. Cal drew a line in the sand. Watson was on the other side. It will be a haul of picks they get that they will spin into being the rebuild they knew they needed.

It's time to jump off the wagon for me. I am done with this franchise and I would advise you do the same. Sometimes in life, a situation is too far gone and there is nothing you can do but watch it go up in flames from afar.

I wish you all the best.

17. justtxyank

Well he is really young. And honestly, guys like him take bad jobs all the time. It's just such a big salary jump.

Brady allegedly makes something like $800-$1m per year as the OC in Carolina. The lowest paid coaches in the NFL make 3.5 times that number and have guaranteed contacts for several years.

The Texans have historically paid 5x that for their coaches and have had long tenures. So it's a HUGE pay jump.

He'd have to feel REALLY confident about landing a HC job next year to turn down one this year. Also keep in mind that normally the open jobs are mediocre or bad jobs.

He passes on a HC offer this year and then falls out of favor next year, who knows.

I actually think the Texans are one of the best jobs in the NFL from this perspective. You'll get a nice payday with lots of guaranteed years and an a super patient organization.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

For a player, I'd agree because of chance of injury/etc. But NFL coach wunderkinds don't seem to lose their shine that quickly. Given his track record with the Saints and LSU and his age (31), there's not much doubt he will get a head coaching opportunity really soon, so the risk isn't that great. But if you pick the wrong organization and get fired in 4 years, your next opportunities might be much more limited (see Bill O' Brien).

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

At this point, I’ve made my peace with him being traded.
    My only hope is Caserio can take control of the team and get a head coach that can develop young talent.
    Need a massive haul of picks, Zach Wilson would be my choice for QB. Mahomes-esque arm and physical talent.

Rudyc281 likes this.