1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

New coach and GM might let him go. Secondary probably the weakest spot on the team.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Damn not the news I wanted this morning

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

at least somebody attempting to follow up on it... albeit a local source only.

the "sources" can easily say whether or not Bienemy moves the needle.

snowconeman22 and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Hmmm... ok good, can we drop the Bieniemy charade then? If hiring EB isn't a pre-requisite for Watson staying, then I don't see a need to interview the guy that 12 other teams passed over for HC.

UTSA2step and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Is Lance Z even reliable ? He’s saying one thing other “insiders” are saying another.

Fantasma Negro and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Doesn't really sound like it...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

yea, this isn't great.

I saw his videos in Brooklyn and his liking of a post with the Jets.

This feels so much like the Harden situation again.

I hope it's not and this time it's different. His contract situation does make it a little easier to stomach not moving right now. I think If he sits out the team saves more money than if they trade him. I hope this is just Deshaun acting out and his people putting this stuff out there because they feel disrespected. It's a long offseason and there is plenty of time between now and the draft to try to reconcile this relationship. The great thing is, the Texans don't have to trade him regardless of how he feels. In fact, the NFL owners not vying for Deshaun are probably going to pressure Cal to hold strong. He signed the contract and this isn't the NBA.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Right but believe there were similar rumblings about the NBA owners and the Harden situation. With regards to his contract, this is the clearest answer I have found:

Trading Watson would not add much damage to the salary cap in 2021
    As it stands, Watson is set to count $15.94 million against the cap in 2021. $5.4 million of that is the prorated signing bonus. The remaining cap hit is Deshaun Watson’s $10.54 million guaranteed salary.

As that $10.54 million in salary would transfer to the team acquiring Watson, the Texans would only have the $21.6 million in dead money from the signing bonuses acceleration. Therefore, trading Watson adds just $5.66 million to the Texans’ salary cap for Watson this season.

Chilly_Pete and treyk3 like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes, Lance is credible. Most of the reports that came out yesterday are from people with no connections to the team and then got echoed. There was apparently someone at the Easterby rally that was pretending to have sources.

Like I said, some of the reporting was stupid on its face.

"Eric Bieniemy wanted the job but first he said he was unhappy that the team favored men of God!"

Just ask yourself whether a candidate would ever say something so dumb.

Then the report about contract details being worked out.

Deshaun sat it on the call!

It was fan fiction.

Not to say EB won't get the job (I think that is a strong possibility) but I'm 100% saying that people online read the tea leaves and then tried to turn that into clout.

J.R., Rudyc281 and Chilly_Pete like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

What about Joe Brady is just waiting to talk to Deshaun before accepting the job?

:D

treyk3, itzIce and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont get it, Watson was unhappy because they didnt get his opinion, but now he doesnt care? it doesnt make sense.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I don’t either. But it sounds like Cal is an idiot and Watson is a diva.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. itzIce

itzIce Member

Lol would Brady even accept if offered now?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Here's what it means: It was never about the BS that was put out about him not being consulted enough. It's probably just like Harden situation. Man has decided he wants to go to a better situation and is doing what he needs to do to make that happen, including trying to focus fan anger on the owner.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Bingo. And this is why a strategy of player appeasement makes no sense. Owners/GMs are dealing with fickle and immature young athletes who have been told "yes" all their life. They demonstrate no consistency whatsoever. Negotiating with them on their demands is completely counter-productive. That might sound insensitive, but when you consider all the negative consequences with managing a group of players, it's accurate. Don't even open the door for these divas to play their games.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing it means that the well has been poisoned and the damage to the relationship has already been done. At this point, it doesn't matter who the coach is because it's still the same executive leadership

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And this wasn’t the case when he signed the extension?

There should be some clarity soon. There’s a lot of bullshit out there and if the Watson camp really wanted to burn all bridges, not sure what they’re waiting for.

seems like they’ve designed these leaks/rumors in order to pressure something... whether it’s a certain hire, a certain fire, or just wanting attention... they’ve certainly accomplished that.

Rudyc281 and Chilly_Pete like this.