1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happens with Oladipo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Jan 17, 2021.

?

What happens with Oladipo?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2021.
  1. Traded at the deadline

59.1%
  2. Walks in FA for cap room

21.5%
  3. Extended to a long term contract

19.4%
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they are now able to trade 2027 as a swap.

we would have the option of swapping with either nets or clippers which is ok, but its not as good as a separate pick. but its a place to start because I'm sure the clippers would happily offer that to go all in this year with dipo.

would the warriors give us the wolves 2021 unprotected for dipo and PJ if we took wiggins contract in return and dipo was happy to resign there? I believe he would be willing to!

have those conversations and come back to Riley. I think achiuwa and 2 picks is reasonable.

2. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

i would LOVE that unprotected minny first...hard to see GSW giving that up though especially for an expiring

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I told people before the season that adding new players, new coach, new system takes about a month or more
    to get timing, rhythm and familiarity with teammates and plays.

Unfortunately the Rockets have gone thru Covid quarantine (Wall/EG/Cousins) to start the season, then House being
    out, and now Wall. Once they get going things will appear different. Hopefully for the better as players understand
    where they should be (and Harden-Tucker sabotaging our defense ends) and play better defense/offense together.

Wall has only played in 7 games with a 3:4 ratio of wins:losses. Over 70 games that 30 wins to 40 losses.
    But yes some Harden contribution and House lack of contribution to factor in. Again I believe
    Harden and Tucker have been dogging it on defense this whole season to this point.

In a 5 man starting lineup with each man playing 30 plus minutes......2 additional mid-tier players in the starting
    lineup is huge. Just a matter of system fits. Kelly Oubre is a good example with Warriors.....do they do as well if he goes in free agency this summer. Klay comes back but from 2 major surgeries? Might be just Wiggins and Curry show then. One player can mean a lot.

#103 ApacheWarrior, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    smoothie and hakeem94 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dipo looks good.

Wall off the bench.

D-rock likes this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

He's probably gone.

Scenario A: He plays well. Then when it's time to re-new, he can go to contending team that's also a big market team. He's in his late 20's, is he going to patiently wait while we rebuild? Tilly & Stone are not going to (can't afford) another max (or near max) contract next to Wall.

Scenario B: He doesn't play well (but still mediocre). Based on his reputation, a contending team may offer less money, but he could be a complimentary piece, in which he up his and his destination team's odds on a ring.

Rockets getting him is to make the salary work on the Harden trade. He's a bonus one year rental to play for us. Tilly is hurting money-wise, if it's another 20 mil a year, yes, but Dipo is going to ask for 30 at least, which Tillman can't afford.

#105 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    HP3 likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sucks that his contract isn't going to last longer.

Levert's situation isn't looking good either.

Dude is a good guy, would want to root for him.

8. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Yea i just dont see a scenario where houston is going to pay him 30 mill plus while also paying wall just for us to be a 6-8 seed

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall needs to be moved asap.

Trade deadline at latest.

Do not see EGo, House or Tucker lasting out the season either.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

I don't disagree if there are suitors, the market for his big contract is still slim. Trading Westbrook was no easy feat. Wall seems better, but him missing games not to covid protocols will put questions to other NBA teams on his durability. If Silas and Rocket have legit medical reasons; I'm not against him sitting. But if not medical reasons, we need to play more and play well, to build up his value.

MarioKissoDeath, saleem and D-rock like this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

One good game isn't enough. He might prove to be consistent, but it's possible he may quietly demand to be traded to a contender when the losses continue to pile up.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He definitely looked like he was in 2017-2018 form. He is not typically a high usage/high TO guy but I would continue to use him the same way we did yesterday and his TO's will come down as he is historically very careful with the ball. Obviously Wall and Gordon will need to get their usage as well but the more the ball is with Oladipo the better.

He was calm and cool with the ball and ran the pick and roll to perfection a handful of times. Had a couple of mishaps but that is to be expected on a new team and basically in a new role since he was our main ball handler. I expect his TO's to be in the 3-4 range but his assist numbers to also go up to 7 or 8 even depending on his role once Wall returns. We need to make sure Oladipo is getting more usage than Wall and Wall only focuses on attacking the rim when he sees an opening or in transition and shooting catch and shoot 3's if they are there. When Wall does initiate offense, he needs to work on developing more chemistry with Wood in the pick and roll and also finding open shooters but I think he can fit in well in that role after 10-12 games and watching how effective Oladipo will be in his new role. I really hope Silas continues to use Oladipo in this way just like he did with Luka. His game will fly if used this way. Sky is the limit which is why I think Oladipo is actually just as excited on this team as Silas is.

Oladipo makes 3 pointers look easy. Not sure I have seen someone shoot them so effortlessly on this team in a while. If he plays consistently well similar to what he did last night, he is easily worth a max contract starting at $33 mil with the defense and playmaking ability that he provides. Not to mention he is a good leader and always has a good attitude. I am hopeful he can keep playing like this and we look to sign him going forward. At the very least, he can be a very valuable trade piece on a long term contract at the max IF he continues playing like his 2017-2018 self and if we would rather completely rebuild. The NBA has made it very hard to just commit to a rebuild with the new lottery anti-tanking rules and the requirement to have each team pay at least 90% of the salary cap to players?

Keep in mind, he was a late bloomer already so he still actually has room to grow since he has basically been robbed of the past year or two of improvement due to injury and also doesn't have as many miles as a normal 28 year old since he came into the league as a 21 year old. This is more like his 7th season than his 9th season. His progression reminds me of Chauncey Billups who was a late bloomer around age 26 but didn't truly put it all together until about age 29 when he went from 5.8 assists to 8.6 and lowered his already low TO's from 2.4 to 2.0. I can see a similar rise in Oladipo if he is given the keys to a team in his age 28-31 seasons. Not to mention Billups game stayed effective for many years until about age 34.

I think people are selling Oladipo short thinking that he has peaked and can't or won't return to pre-injury form which is just pure speculation/pessimism at this point. It is not an exaggeration that he was the best player on his Pacers team that was a 5th seed and took the Lebron led Cavs to 7 games in 2018 while also being their best defender. I can envision him improving upon his 2017-2018 performance as it takes time for a player to get used to being the best player on a team and owning that role. Let's hope he is still in a Houston uniform when he does figure it all out.

Denovo and hakeem94 like this.
  14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

2022 Zion Watch free agency ..

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...nicks-build-around-julius-randle-or-sell-high

Randle needs help, and it'll likely come in the form of an experienced, high-scoring guard.

That's why Houston Rockets guard Victor Oladipo will be a name to keep an eye on. The former All-Star has had a slew of injuries in recent years but is among the more talented two-way players when healthy. League sources say the Knicks are among the teams interested in Oladipo and will be closely monitoring the impending free agent's play leading up to the deadline and beyond if he's not moved by then.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Really?

D-rock likes this.
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If the Rockets are in playoff contention, I would not trade Olidip or Tucker unless you are getting what is believed to be an upgrade. The team seems to be gelling from a chemistry wise and not only would I personally like to see how far they can go but I also believe it would send the wrong message to players that winning isn't the most important thing.

You have a team playing hard af everynight...grinding...playing top tier defense...

And then you're going to trade one of the best players in Olidipo and a guy the team obviously respects for his intangibles for picks?

Wood and Boogie would probably have something not so glowing to say about a move like that.

BamBam and D-rock like this.
  18. PatBev

PatBev Member

I hope so

Wall & Dipo can set the tone as a defensive doghouse type culture as these rookies we draft over the years

I really think we should keep both for the culture they will bring. We aren’t getting any superstar in free agency most likely. Let them ride it out until a good enough offer is ever presented

D-rock likes this.
  19. mdinc14

mdinc14 Member

Mavs Pick, Top 10 protected future Knicks pick, Kevin Knox (out of rotation), Dennis Smith Jr (G-League), Frank Ntilikina for Oladipo, Ben McLemore and Roddy Kurucs.

who says no?

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hope Rockets can obtain AG + Bamba without moving him then.

Would be great news.

tc0330 likes this.