1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood is going to attract other players to come to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Jan 16, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Yes I agree, when I said rhetorically I mean I highly doubt he’ll be all nba right now and if he is, he likely will want to get paid by that time and we won’t be doing it

Fefo and saleem like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

OP is a casual.

PhilCollins, Clutch City1993 and HP3 like this.
  3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Some things to keep in mind:

1) Wood is averaging 12.5 minutes per game more than last year.

2) This is his first season playing center.

3) He’s averaged 7 shots per game for his career. He’s taking around 18 this season.

Christian has had by far the biggest adjustments to make of anyone on our roster. Yet despite that, he’s been our most consistent and highest performing player to date, and whoever is #2 is not close.

Y’all were all juiced up to see him go out there and dominate AD. Be patient...you can already see some improvement from him.

joshuaao, D-rock, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  4. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I'm inclined to think the timeline isn't right either, but things can change quick in the NBA now.

If Dipo really balls out here to where he wants to stay here and we resign him then we have a nice run next year and guys like Wood, Tate, Jones, and whoever else develop, we'd potentially be in a position where Wall's deal would not be that hard to unload at that point and we create max space for someone who wants to play with a scratching stardom Wood and a back to star level Dipo (Harden return lol?).

Something like that is unlikely but not unfathomable.

joshuaao likes this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t think Oladiapo is a long term play and he probably knows it. He makes 21 mil why would we tie up even more money to re sign him rather than sign a superior player like jrue holiday or multiple players? That was the whole premise of the deal to get an expiring contract freeing up cash for the summer FA market. Picks do mean something because they are assets for a trade. Not every pick is a star. Some players become very serviceable (montrez, batum, clint). Picks are very valuable especially first round and can lead to significant role players in a teams rebuild.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hardenesque!

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

we are not signing Dipo. Rockets took his contract over laverts for a reason. I highly doubt Rox would spend on a max contract Instead of trying to acquire a better player of multiple players.

8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

If Wood can keep this group of glassmen and nobody’s in the playoff picture.
    I can see players giving us a thought to play with Wood and Silas.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

What's more likely is other teams are going to be attracting Christian Wood.

rgw20014life and hakeem94 like this.
  10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

The plan likely was not to just let Dipo's contract roll off because it's expiring. Prior to this really scary stuff with Levert's kidney he would have had positive trade value and probably could have pretty easily been traded into space this summer if nothing else. Dipo's a better player than Levert when the trade was made and if you are gambling he can really progress the next month or two there's value to trade at the deadline or maybe some value in his bird rights for us or in a sign and trade.

In the hypothetical scenario where Dipo kills it here and looks like 95% or whatever of what he was in 2018 he's probably the top FA on the market if Kawhi resigns, so I'm not sure what better player we'd really get with that cap space, though it could be used to pick up an asset in exchange for absorbing a bad deal.

11. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Honestly, I've been feeling like this team can really compete. On paper, obviously. But an all-star backcourt of Wall and Dipo, MIP candidate Christian Wood who's posting all-star numbers, PJ and EG still on the team, Tate and Brown showing out, DMC still working his way back, maybe bring back Green now that Harden's gone... There's no way this team doesn't make the playoffs! We'll see how things pan out. But with 8 players they're already out there scrapping it away and split it against San Antonio!

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I said multiple players or another player. I don’t see the logic in keeping him and awarding him a max contract even if it’s via bird rights. Jrue holliday in my opinion is an overall better player than Oladipo. There’s no wrong or right it’s a matter of opinion I suppose. I also did not say that the Rox wouldn’t deal him. I responded to a comment someone said that the Rox may look to re sign him. I cannot see that happening given Rockets trend of not spending much money while obtaining assets and rebuilding in this post harden era.

13. Fefo

Fefo Member

I will be really surprised if Jrue doesnt sign an extension with the bucks. I think he can sign from february on, so we should keep an eye on that, but even then, i dont think he is the kind of player to lead a team, more like a great number 2 or 3.
    We are in rebuild mode, we are not signing anyone that matters for long term. Since Stone took moreys job, he has traded for +6 or 7 first round picks.
    We also got big money tied to Wall for a couple seasons. If we do the right moves we might find a deal to bring someone or we might stick with our picks and try to find the talent we need.
    I'm not saying first rounders doesnt matter, but i would have preferred Simmons and start building with a guy that its young, tied to a long contract and its already an all nba and all defensive player.

Stephen_A likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. D-rock

D-rock Member