1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happens with Oladipo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Jan 17, 2021.

?

What happens with Oladipo?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2021.
  1. Traded at the deadline

59.1%
  2. Walks in FA for cap room

21.5%
  3. Extended to a long term contract

19.4%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I want to keep Oladipo. He's a perfect bridge player for the retooling. But, if we do trade him, I don't care about any more FRPs. I want the young prospect I was promised in the Harden trade.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I thought a lot about this.

dipo can be aggregated in trade with another player on Feb 2. but Meyers Leonard can't be traded until Feb 20. and I think from Miami's perspective they wouldn't want to send out bam, butler, herro, Robinson, or even dragic or olynyk. I think they offer Iggy and Leonard as salary matching which is why we wait for Feb 20.

I would bet on a deal that looks like:

dipo, pj, house for iggy, Leonard, achiuwa, 2022, 2026 FRP.

I think dipo is worth 3 picks, and pj 1. so this package should be a 3 pick net. however, Miami knows they can just sign dipo next summer so we don't have great leverage. there is the risk we trade him somewhere else and he decides to stay there (say LAC?) so Riley can't low ball too hard. I think instead of a 4 pick haul we get 3. achiuwa counts as 1, 2022 and 2026 are what they are allowed to trade since they don't have a 2024 so they can't trade 2023 or 2025. I think both probably come protected so a reasonable degree, say top 7 or top 10.

oh and most importantly we save about $6M.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s not a lead guy on a contender (obviously), but he looks like a solid #2 or an elite #3. Denver would be interesting too — he’d be actually a nice fit by Murray and Jokic — would they give up MPJ and get out of Gary Harris’ contract for him?

I do want to see him with Wall and Tate out there. This is the best collection of perimeter defenders we’ve had in ages — Wall, Dipo, Nwaba, Tate, and Gordon all do a good job stopping penetration — that’ll make Wood’s life easier.

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This is a star. A team either hands over control of their first rounders for several years (similar to but not as abundant as the Nets deal) or just keep him.

D-rock and tinman like this.
  5. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Oladipo is out of here, lol. No way he’s signing with this team.

smoothie likes this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

for sure he needs to turn a profit with the rockets. his other businesses are hurting badly. this is why he cut costs as much as he could, not just on the court but in the front office as well.

you're right that a winning team earns more profit but I don't see wall-gordon-tate-wood- and oubre or porter making the playoffs. we may not even have a draft pick this year to help us turn it around next year either.

I just don't see signing a solid starter or two as moving the needle next year. we're going to be right back at the bottom, which is good because next year we have our own pick. so I'd rather not win meaningless games next year.

instead of spending on oubre or olynyk to go from a 20 win team to a 28 win team, why not take on bad contracts into that cap space and charge picks? could we trade dipo/exum for wiggins and the wolves unprotected 2021? I'd rather spend our cap space that way. what can we get with Blake Griffin? Kevin Love? Gary Harris? Al Horford? Tobias Harris?

7. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

rather get herro and one pick :/

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

I share that general line of thinking but have a couple of disagreements. I think Iggy is a no go (doesn't want to be traded to a non contender and Miami wants him in the playoffs) and I think 3 late FRP (including Precious) is pretty optimistic. But maybe Miami value locking up Dipo and Tucker that much.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so do we all! no leverage for that. dipo is there next summer. Riley knows not to give up assets for someone he's getting in a few months.

but if he comes with PJ and house, in time for this years' playoff run, then maybe its worth achiuwa and two protected picks. have to use another team as leverage. tell shams to report talks with the clippers are heating up and dipo is open to resigning there!

10. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Trade him to GSW for the Minny pick.

11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

That's a reasonable deal, though I don't think Miami can trade 2022 either. The pick they owe to OKC starts in 2023. Miami's cap space might also not give them as much leverage as you'd think. If Dipo demands the max I think it pretty much means they have to renounce all cap holds (Duncan and Nunn), decline all player options (Dragic is the big one), and even ship out Precious and Herro since I believe Bam+Jimmy+dead cap for Ryan Anderson+cap holds for min salary vets gets them right to having a max slot open with the projected cap. If they really want Dipo, he's firm on getting the max, and we're firm on getting Herro they would probably have to do it since they'd have to dump Herro anyways (though would get draft capital for him) in addition to losing Dragic, Nunn, Precious (would get a pick for him too), and Robinson. And then you throw in getting PJ and his bird rights and House on top of it in your scenario.

#91 ChillyPete32, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they have to match salaries somehow. it won't be bam, butler, herro, Robinson... for sure Leonard is in the deal, but who else? is dragic, olynyk or iggy included? I think iggy is the least valuable to them of the 3.

I also think achiuwa and 2 picks is slightly wishful, but then again we can for sure get a pick or two from anyone else for oladipo, so Miami has to at least come close to matching market value. plus with PJ and house added for their playoff run. I mean I'd take a clippers offer of bev/lou/2027 unprotected. is Riley so sure dipo doesn't resign to live in LA and be part of a big 3 with PG and kawhi? if you don't want that gamble then beat that offer with 2 picks instead of 1. and again with PJ and house added that's where I got the idea of achiuwa, 2022, 2026 (protected picks) as a reasonable offer from Miami.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I like this line of thinking. but this is pat Riley. he got lebron, wade, and bosh as the peak of their careers to sign for less than max so they could sign mike miller as well.

I'm almost sure they figure out a way to carve out just enough to retain herro and Robinson's cap hold.

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Wow, really.......28 wins?

Wow, I think you drastically underestimate Wood, Wall, Eric Gordon, Tate, House, Mason Jones. Kurucs.

Mason Jones will go from dual player to regular contract in about a month......then get some good experience called the rest of the season.
    Tate will further develop.
    Kurucs in game one was listed solely as Point Guard. Silas might make something out of him yet.

In my opinion Tilman is using this season to stock pile draft picks and unload enough payroll to remold the team
    around Silas system players in free agency and draft this offseason.

Rockets will be at $86M at season’s end (without adding contracts from a future Dipo trade).
    Enough to add about 2 ($18M ) contracts plus dirt cheap players like Tate and draft picks.

They will end up being better than you are saying right now. Even better if the Rockets can move the John Wall contract of $44M this summer. See what they can get back in return.

I leave you the last word.

15. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Very possible. For us to have that kind of leverage Miami obviously has to really want Dipo and he has to tell Pat "max or nothing mother f*****er" like he's Chandler Parsons.

16. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Sign me up for a Dipo, Wall and Wood core for the next few seasons. Just need to upgrade the other two positions and the Rockets are a dangerous playoff team that no one wants to play in the first round. Hopefully Tate can develop into a starter but he will need a consistent 3 for that to happen. Jones looks like he will be a good 6th man. Maybe the Rockets can trade for AG, Turner or Collins to play with Wood in the front court. I’m excited about seeing what happens with this team.

D-rock likes this.
  17. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Yea true that...also do clips have any picks left after the george trade last summer?

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'll leave off with some perspective. I think we can pencil in the lakers, clippers, jazz, blazers, mavs, nuggets, and warriors into the playoffs this year and next. they just flat out will have more talent than us, even if we add 2 starters with cap space. I think teams on the bubble/play in games will be teams like the suns, grizzlies, and pelicans. all young and improving by next year. we're in the mix with the spurs, kings, wolves and thunder this year, and I'm not sure using our cap space on win now players unless its 1 all star, get us to leapfrog the pelicans, grizzlies, or suns. maybe the subs depending on Paul's health? but then again are we sure the thunder with our draft pick/shai/cap space can't improve more than we can? I think its going to be hard to get up into that play in game in a loaded conference starting from the very bottom with probably no pick this year.

we have a bunch of solid role players but not enough high end talent to make a playoff run and adding more quality role players won't get us there IMO.

lastly, we don't control our own draft picks in 2021, 2024, 2025, or 2026. therefor in 2022 and 2023 when we do control our own draft, I think its important to maximize our return.

however, I'd be happy if you were right and we could surprise people by making the playoffs this year or next! would be a great underdog story like the thunder last year.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yeah or threaten to send him to the clippers for Bev/lou/2027 unprotected. dipo could live in LA and content with PG and kawhi. I think he would consider resigning there. and the clippers would gladly risk there 2027 unprotected to go all in this year with a dipo rental. so Riley has to consider that as well, assuming stone plays that card.

I still don't think herro gets involved, but creating that leverage might earn us an extra draft pick or a more favorable protection on the pick.

Corrosion and ChillyPete32 like this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

A 3 team trade might be needed, I'm not sure how much the Heat want their cap space tied up to Dragic, Butler, and Dipo. A simple option would be to only trade Dipo for Leonard, Bradley, Precious, and late FRP.

I'm sure we can find another home for Tucker.