1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Also the 76ers couldn't offer any picks beyond 2023. So those picks are going to be late picks no matter the protection

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

that’s fair - although we could get similar return for Dipo, potentially

3. PeppermintCandy

I voted for the Philly package.

That said, Simmons was probably not going to be in Houston for the long haul.

So the question would have been could Houston trade Simmons later for a young potential superstar, or a package of draft picks better than what they got from the Nets deal.

I would think yes.
    But if the answer was no, then I guess the Nets deal might have been the best they could do given the time frame.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kevin O’Connor:

“League sources say the Rockets demanded Ben Simmons, Tyrese Maxey, and three first-round picks from the Sixers in return for Harden.”

sirjesse likes this.
  5. rockets13champs

I think Ben Simmons is broken

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If Ben was so valuable Morey wouldn't have been so hell bent on trading him.

There's a reason why he is offered and Jaylen Brown, MPJ are not.

I am just thinking what team would give up multiple unprotected picks for Simmons 2-3 years from now. But what kind of contending team would do that when Simmons is such an odd fit.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes this exactly.

if there’s a decent return for Simmons in a trade to a third team... maybe we’ll see it this year. Lol.

I can’t think of one though. If you think of the other players that were rumored, the other teams aren’t sending Jaylen or Herro for Simmons imo. Maybe Pascal now since he seems to ha e taken a step back. But you ain’t getting Donovan or Booker or Luka or Trae. Or Jamal or Sabonis or Ingram or Zion etc etc.

Maybe Simmons nets you a Dangelo Russell or DAron Fox type.

meh...

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Dang this is 50/50 split!

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

7BD8ED66-9F22-490B-B7AA-0C2492F2ECF5.jpeg Doesn’t get any closer than that!

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just broke the tie!

STOP THE COUNT!

11. ReturnOfTheMac

100% no doubt we made the right decision. Ben Simmons has no intention to work on his game and getting better, he’s been the same player since his rookie year. At least with the Brooklyn package we have the flexibility to move those picks for a disgruntle star.

12. sogood.

sogood. Member

Should've took Philly's deal.

13. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Yeah you always take the star

His fit with wall shouldn't be a concern

But the bigger problem is why take the nets deal if you didn't even want there players [levert or Allen]

HP3 likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I still think the nets deal was better.

does Simmons even make us a playoff team? we're not even really able to compete as an nba team right now. with Simmons maybe we can keep games competitive but we're still a long way from the playoffs. sure when wood comes back maybe we can push into the play in? but what's the point of being a borderline playoff team?

Simmons, like Wood (although most don't want to admit it yet), don't fit the rebuild timeline. by the time our 2022, 20223 picks get good Simmons and wood will be on the wrong side of 30. all Simmons would've done is mess up our chances of winning the lotto in 2022 and 2023.

15. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Harden's trade had no problem, but Westbrook's trade for Wall is the true trouble! Stone should trade Harden at first, then Westbrook can stay, then Westbrook's trade value will not be so bad

smoothie likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Simmons needs spacing...we are the worst shooting team in the league

Simmons and Wall don’t fit, and with Wall being owed almost 92 mil the next 2 seasons, he’s not going anywhere any time soon

any picks from Philly would be utter trash for sure with Harden, Embiid, and Morey as their GM

the Rockets need to tank these next few seasons...that will result in the most value post-Harden

IvanLCPM and Mr. Space City like this.
  17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

They should be tanking with Simmons, Thybulle and picks though. The Brooklyn picks will be terrible just like The Phili ones would have been. But at the very least we get back some young talent. Especially defensively.

18. HROZ

HROZ Member

Nets look set for a few years.

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I still don't mind the deal we made. What I still mind is trading Jarrett Allen away and Caris Levert for Oladipo. Both of those moves remain a complete mystery to me (well, beyond them just being cost-cutting measures).

IvanLCPM likes this.
  20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the only part of the harden trade that was bad was dumping Allen to get out of prince's deal, and not flipping oladipo immediately for either more picks or another young player.

Corrosion and IvanLCPM like this.