1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I've been starting to do some research on the vaccines and what not.

If you're 70+, is this a must get vaccine? I just don't want some weird **** happening with the vaccine to mess up my parents. But of course I'm assuming you would rather take the vaccine then get covid when you're at the age of 70+. So, if you had to advise should I 100% look to register my parents for an appointment to get a vaccine? Any risks to it that you've read about it for the elderly?

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If they are extremely elderly or terminal then there are some questions. That said my 80 year old dad just had it with no side effects, however he hasn't had his second shot yet. Yes, I would say it is something that your parents must get since covid is very dangerous at the 70+ age range.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...talities-among-people-75-and-older-rise-to-29

Norway Raises Concern Over Vaccine Jabs for the Elderly

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely.

There are side effects that can suck, especially with the 2nd shot, but they are a lot better than what COVID-19 can do to people who are 70+.

The problem, as I see it, with COVID-19 is that it's a crapshoot. Many will get it and it'll be a big nothing. Just a week or so inconvenience if that.....and others die. IMO the odds are just not worth the risk when you are above 50 and it gets considerably worse the older you get.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Remember...the vaccines out today are not "rushed". The platforms they are on have been under development and testing since 2003. Coronavirus vaccines in particular have been under development for 10 years with this platform, just not this specific virus. The actual vaccines for this specific virus have existed in the real world since February of LAST YEAR...the only thing that has been happening until they were given emergency use was testing on a global scale by the brightest minds on the planet.

Fast does not equal rushed.

sammy likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My parents (both over 80) are getting vaccines today. Good news.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think so. You produce antibodies pretty quickly (I think I've seen around 3 days) with the Pfizer shot.

It takes 10-14 days to produce first antibodies with the Moderna one.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I do know two relatives of my wife (in their 60s) who have died from Covid in the last couple of months. They were brothers and the second one to pass probably got Covid at his funeral.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I still have no symptoms and thus far the only confirmed positive cases are among those who refused the vaccine. So I'm thinking I'll be fine.

10. Miracle

Miracle Member

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/...a-warns-Moderna-vaccine-allergic-15879744.php

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Norway says no link between COVID-19 vaccine and several elderly recipients' deaths - CBS News

robbie380 likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The past two weeks is like a covid bomb going off around my relative and friends. 6 families (most everyone in their families is positive by now). Most are doing ok with 2 hospitalization.

I'm glad my parent got their shots last week. They only experienced sore arms.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Very sad, sammy, and sorry to hear it.

On vaccination front: I have not succeeded so far in trying (from afar) to get my parents vaccinated in TX, but they're finally on a waitlist at least.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Waitlist with who?

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is true for me too. Fortunately I haven't been around any of them, but family and friends and my assistant at work are all dealing with this right now.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

because of how the vaccine has been rolled out, the majority of the 40+ million vaccinations so far have likely been people 65 or older.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So strange we haven't had any vaccination updates from the CDC since the 15th. Maybe we get one today....

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Regarding Houston / Harris County vaccinations, what's the best source to follow (twitter, etc), regarding updates to sign up?

I know Houston Methodist had a recent event from 1/14-1/17 and that the Houston Health Dept. had an event at Minute Maid Park on the 16th. But I missed an opportunity for both times, and only found out after/during the events.

Just wanna get my elderly dad vaccinated asap.