1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Morey had one tenure here and now everybody is a GM. :cool:

Trackwell, daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Like me some armada of armchair Gms.

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Stone is as unorthodox as Morey when it comes to verbiage with Draft picks it seems.

I hope Tillman has the patience (he clearly doesn't) to let his advisors pick the best routes for drafting. I hope we get luck with a player with a good motor in the next few drafts. Honestly it's going to be interesting to see how the next few years plays out, currently our roster is a mess. No real depth off the bench and clearly a disgruntled, short term SG with Victor.

Our roster isn't good enough to be contenders, Cousins is still coming back from his injury and so is Wall. They've shown they can clearly both play but we don't know how consistent they'll be with staying on the court. Then mix in a not too happy PJ Tucker and streaky Eric Gordon and boy. We're going no where fast.

I tried to read our future draft picks, can someone break them down between our picks going to the Thunder, coming from the Nets and ability to switch picks ? Plus there are a few going to Portland and the Pistons but are also protected.. oh man

Trackwell likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Pls show me your posts about gsw potential in 2014

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m still not in favor of tanking right now but your comments at least got me to look up and realize that if they keep their top 4 pick this year then their obligation to OKC is over. I assume fit just rolled to next year.

that’s strange... but cool.

while I shouldn’t care what OKC does a ton, finishing say 5th worse and hanging that pick to OKC would SUCK.

so my position remains. You play the games, see where are 2/3 into the season or so and make decisions from there.

but if you ended up via luck or strategic tanking the last 1/3 of the year with a top 4 pick and the swap doesn’t matter that’d be amazing.

sadly I think ultimately it’s more likely OKC has at he better pick but the Rockets one is still in the lotto and OKCs plan is working.

HP3 likes this.
  6. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Nothing wrong with having a opinion but to bash Rockets for NOT rushing decisions. You have to see where you are before you can decide where to go.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

This is a year to go all in. West is wide open, Lebron is old and AD is fragile and cannot carry his team...one unlucky injury and its on for everybody.

Harden is coming from the east and we know he is prone to weird disappearance acts on the biggest stages and concussion games...

We have a nice chemistry going on, good coach, good home crowd, hungry rookies, great vets, defense minded payers and a few allstars with chips on their shoulders... I say we have a chance as good as anyones!

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lebron got adamantium bones.

[​IMG]

9. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I mean I’m not gonna lie and act like he didn’t teach me a ton over the last 10 years or so

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Your delusional... There isn’t a single team in the west that would trade for our roster

raining threes likes this.
  11. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

It’s a no brainer. More people will come around to it once they realize that this team does not have any hope this year

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I get that it's not gonna be easy to get a top 4 pick, and i get that giving a lotto pick to OKC is painful. But that's the bed we made. How on earth is it better to be "competitive" and give OKC say the 14th pick vs. playing our young guys and developing them while hoping to slip into a top 4 pick? We screwed ourselves with the Russ trade. It's gonna take a little luck to dig out from that and escape the worst of that. Can we give ourselves a chance to get lucky, and perhaps net a franchise changing player that we badly need? I think we can all agree we aren't contending this year, so why not try to focus on rebuilding?

Trackwell likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Imagine finishing with the worst record in the league and still ending up with OKC’s or (more likely) Miami’s pick. There’s a 48% chance of that happening even if we do somehow end up with the worst record.

Tanking isn’t as straightforward as it once was. The benefits aren’t the same as they were 5 years ago. I think we should instead proceed as if we are going to end up with Miami’s pick this year and just try to out out the best product we can while making future-oriented trades where they make sense. Trying to trade away Wall’s contract, along with the extra future draft picks it would probably take to entice another team to accept it, makes very little sense to me.

JayGoogle likes this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Great, lets do it.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah... though I’m curious if reality matches the odds.

obviously we only have one year of data so far but if I remember correct the hornets and bulls jumped up last year in a way to be meaningful like that to one of the worst teams.

obviously the odds are worse but I’d feel relatively comfortable as a top1/2 worse team. As 3/4 teams would have to jump up.

again I think the ideal play is wait and see what happens while trying to win games and then at some point make a decision wrt holding players out of games (Wall, Eg), limiting minutes (Wood) and trading guys for future assets... partly in attempt to get worse and have better odds.

even then I think the best we’d do would be like finish 3-8 and likely get bumped back and not up. It would certainly be nice to get that draft lottery “luck” that every other teams that loses a star player via trade/fa seems to get (see Pelicans, Cavs).

I suspect when the draft lottery happens Rockets will Be in it and we’ll be hoping for a miracle instead of hoping not to get screwed.

but also... maybe they make the playoffs. They have one more loss than the 6th team, 2 more than the 5th team and only 3 more than the second team. And this year there’s the play in so even with the slow start if they finish 9th or 10th they can still play their way in. Conversely 7th/8th seed can play their way out...

mad for competition, the warriors and spurs are currently in the playoffs. The blazers are without Nurkic and McCollum. Conversely Memphis, Denver and NOP are not currently in playoffs and ahead of the Rockets.

but it’s so early.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I have a detailed post coming

c1utchfan925 likes this.
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I realize now that I’ve been assuming we would need to land in the bottom 4 record wise to stand a chance of having s top 4 pick, which is wrong. We have a chance as long as we don’t make the playoffs. For example, about a 20% chance if we end up with the 8 worst record. That shifts my thinking on this somewhat. There’s a stronger argument for prioritizing development of young players over a playoffs pursuit than I had thought yesterday.

Trackwell, Wulaw Horn and JayZ750 like this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

No doubt....I would imagine Stone being in the vicinity that he knows what he is doing. Stone has been here the whole time too. He's not some new hire they got to replace Morey. It was a natural transition. Next man up.