1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Then we should do that. And we can

2. HP3

HP3 Member

The Warriors literally tanked last year and got Wiseman. Come on man, culture is important but damn man so is generational talent. Do the Mavs have a bad culture around Luka cause they tanked for him???

johnnydeezy1 and Trackwell like this.
  3. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

I agree with Tanking.

Trackwell likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

playing without half our team for 60% of the season will do that

5. Rockets4Life13

Nah dude, you're just throwing around hypotheticals. KD has major injury concerns. James has no ties, if he doesn't get his ring with BKN, he will bounce in 2 years to ringchase with LA or whereever.
    If they decide to tear it down, they will end up doing it like Celtics and acquire draft picks for the future, it's not like they are going to get a Prime Brandon Ingram or whoever will be the hot commodity at that time for 35 yo Durant or 34 yo Harden. Especially if they don't own their own picks, like we do in our scenario, they will look to get future draft compensation, like we did.

On the age/skill thing, people are so spoiled by lebron. There are only a handful of players in NBA history that are good enough to stay relevant at 35+. And please don't say that KD and Harden are just "more skilled" than them.
    The decline can be slow and steady but can also just come overnight.

clutchdabear and Trackwell like this.
  6. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think you guys should be familiar with the upcoming draft prospects before automatically pushing for a tank job.

There is such a thing as a weak draft class. Hope we get lucky with those future picks.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Warriors didn't tank. Everyone got injured but they went into that season aiming to win.

Mavs should have never got Luka in the first place but they were lucky because of the dumb teams ahead of them that passed on him and no they never had a tanking season, they were just bad. Carlisle isn't some coach that's going to intentionally put the worst team out there. They made a bunch of silly decisions that were made and paid for it then because of pure luck were able to draft Luka.

There's also this...

This is something people in the league always talk about. That it's hard to turn around a culture of losing and sucking and even if you get amazing players...they can do nothing to rinse the stink off your franchise and leave anyways. Clippers were this for years, Twolves too...

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  8. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

No

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is another thing, you can find absolute stars later in the draft. You don't have to tank to find star players or at least players that you can flip for star players.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

its not smart to trade draft picks to get rid of starting NBA players. Wall and Gordon would have to go for us to suck.

wood, wall and Gordon can get to the play in game. Sorry

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I don't think Silas was the proper hire for a tank job.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Looool all that talk and STILL no gurantee at a high draft pick or a good class. Just a fragile assumption that the Nets will implode, KD will get injured, Kyrie causes problems, Harden bounces, the Nets org is incompetent loool. And even then still very good odds we get none of those high picks you talk about lol. This deal is crap and you are the one banking on hypotheticals not me. I’m doing one with better odds.

Harden and KD will not age poorly that’s you wishing them too

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree except to say with the number of picks we have from other teams, we don’t need to miss the playoffs for “several years”.

A young well coached team with some decent vets and a good coach will get there quicker than everyone expects.

I would also look into trading up with our picks this summer and tanking immediately after. Between Wood, Wall, two top picks and Silas we’ll be fine.

Trackwell likes this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We need to completely strip this team down and do it as quickly as possible and enter into asset collection mode.

Both Tucker and VO need to be gone by the deadline, if not sooner, for the best draft capital available.

We need Wall and Gordon both at high volume to rebuild their value until a team is dumb enough to want them.

Wood can stay because he has high upside, but we need realization that he will not be apart of our next "great" team and we have to be strategic in when we sell him off.

This league is merciless to the inbetweeners. There is no desirable place between contender and top 3 pick getter.

I dont care if we only have a 40% shot at a top 4 pick, or whatever it is. Take that route.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Does it really matter wether they are trying or not? They were bad at got a high pick. And yes the Mass were tanking, you believe whatever you want but they were man cmon. And guess what the other teams ahead of them for Luka were teams that were trash too. Sorry but whatever Griffin says on the Pistons does not matter. Wolves just got good management. Good management and good picks gets you a great team. Clippers also have good ownership and management.

#75 HP3, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

You can if you use lineups strategically. Gordon only lineups are great for tanking. What do you mean? They can stay and we can tank more.Will have to trade them eventually. Hopefully we can get Gordon to a contender. Neither of them are that good by themselves and they get hurt.

17. Rockets4Life13

I just named you examples of good organizations that had a similar group of talent where the key parts were 2-3 years younger and it took them 4 years to fall apart, this while also winning a championship, which i personally don't think the Nets will.

Honestly dude, there's just no winning with you. Arguing with you doesn't even make sense because ur hellbent on your theory that everything the rockets do sucks. Based on history it's far more likely that the Nets end up sucking in 2-3 years than it is for them to be relevant 6-7 years from now.
    Doesn't it suck to be so negative for literally no reason?

Teams that are built around mid to late 20s players usually don't take longer than 7 years to fall apart and you're honestly banking on the Nets with KD ( who will be 39 by the time we end up with the last swap) will be good enough to keep us from getting a good pick out of that? LMAO.

Even the freaking Warriors who were built around drafted players didn't have 7 seasons of constant winning in a row.

You're just being delusional here, man. But I'm slowly getting used to it.

TheFreak and Htown's Finest like this.
  18. MadRox

MadRox Member

I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but we haven't even seen a single post-Harden full strength game yet. I want to see Wall, Oladipo, Gordon, Cousins, House all back and we have few weeks to gel first, if we still suck then we can start the tank talks.

19. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Actually that’s all I look at... that’s why I wrote this! The next two drafts are both looking to be better than average. There is 5 great looking prospects in this next years draft. I will do a write up on them in the next few days.

long term prospects ... take a look at Chet Holmgren , Amoni Bates ....

Both are looking to be generational talents

The pantry is full of groceries!

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This isn't just Blake Griffin saying this, this has pretty much been said over and over by almost every player and coach.

And yes it does matter? The entire definition of tanking is losing on purpose. If you're just bad to be bad then it's by definition not tanking. It's just being bad and again Mavs just got lucky that teams like the Kings were finding excuses as to why they shouldn't have drafted Luka.

Warriors got lucky that like 4 PGs went ahead of Curry.

Spurs got lucky that the Rockets obsession with small PFs made them skip on Kawhi...

Good management and good picks gets you a good team...but you're missing the part that you can still pick high in the draft and mess up...resulting in a better team STILL getting the franchise player.

Look at Miami, 0 tanking, Herro went 13 and Bam went 14th...and we were just talking about trading Harden for Herro. MPJ? Also a 14 pick.

Hell, Wood was undrafted.

The reason I'd rather not tank because it's easy to create a bad team, a lot harder to create a good team and I rather that Stone knows what he's doing when it comes to the draft so much so that tanking is impossible.