1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Deshaun goes, I go

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 15, 2021.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think there's a strong case to be made that trading Watson brings us closer to a title. It's clear that Watson + a bad team around him does not get it done. We were 4-12 this season with that setup. Without draft picks and help on defense through free agency, I don't see things improving. Trading Watson for a haul of picks, and freeing ourselves of his huge contract, allow us to move forward and start to build a complete team.

Cleveland and Miami have both rebuilt quickly through the draft -- and now have a lot of excitement surrounding their teams. Washington as well. With a disgruntled Watson, we are stuck in the mud until we move him. Let's start over with some higher character talent.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, Watson made sure of that, all because he didn't get his way. The only real question is why "fans" support him taking a flamethrower to the franchise... and the answer likely is that they weren't really fans of the team in the first place

raining threes likes this.
  3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

3 first rounders and 2 second rounders and I would listen. We know the front office./ownership is a cluster**** so no one will blame Watson if he wants out, but I wish he would just say it because all the speculation is just too much at this point. We are a bad team we finished 4-12 with him it wouldn't be much worse without him.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. raining threes

Or he covered up a rape when he was an asst coach, could be that he hit a female parking attendant.

Don't believe me google it.

BTW, you can call the Texans racist ( not true, IMHO) bit tell me why the NYJ chose a minority over E.B.?

He's interviewed for roughly ten HC jobs in the last two years
    Is the entire NFL racist?

5. MystikArkitect

How people still support this team is beyond me.

Quitting the Texans is like quitting Facebook. You're a lot happier without it. Hence why Watson wants to leave.

6. raining threes

They're screwed with Watson for cap reasons, lack of draft capital and without Watson, what are the odds they find another franchise QB on the next decade.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Hmm...

Its Watson choice to leave once his contract has EXPIRED.... But until then he needs to honor his contract...

T_Man

8. Buck Turgidson

It's pretty ****ing simple, Eddie...DW's taking the whole franchise down, all by himself

#128 Buck Turgidson, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

it seems like it’s really hard to root for any Houston teams at the moment, especially Texans and Rockets. Harden gone and now maybe Watson? It really sucks to be a Houston fan right now.

Jwise44 likes this.
  10. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Has this scenario been explored?

1. Trade Watson to NY Jets for picks 2 and 24 in the 2021 draft, + both of the Jets 2022 1st round picks
    2. Consider trading down further in the 2021 draft for more draft capital to address the defense
    3. Sign Stratford's own ANDREW LUCK to be the quarterback. (31 y/o - still has 6-8 prime years left)

That would add 4 1st round talents to the team, and possibly 1-2 more if you trade down from #2 overall, plus an equally good QB as Watson. We would be stacked with young talent and could reasonably expect to compete for AFC championships.

11. Duke Fan

Duke Fan Member

Everyone saying they will no longer support the franchise, bye. What a bunch of fair weather fans. Regardless of good or bad ownership they are the hometown team. This too will pass. Don't try to jump back on the bandwagon when they're good again or Cal sells the team.

12. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Actually, it's Easterby who's handling the flamethrower. If you don't want Watson to be part of the GM search, just tell him that. Telling him he is part of the search, then excluding him is lying to his face and much worse.

gatsby and Sooty like this.
  13. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

I take the view that it's absurd for a player to feel entitled to being a part of the GM search. Players need to focus on being the best they can be, not on trying to do the job of the front office. I can't even think of another example of a player insisting on being a part of a GM search. It's just completely bizarre. Coaching search? Sure. GM Search? That's absurd.

homewight likes this.
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

DW4 never insisted to be part of the GM search, this was something that Cal voluntarily offered but didn't follow through it as reported. I would normally agree with you otherwise, however there is something to be said when the front office made some really ridiculous moves to the overall detriment of the team.

donkeypunch likes this.
  15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

DAMN can't believe i'm saying this but I do agree with Trader...

Cam is the owner good or bad.... Who he hires is his business and what happens to the team is his business.. He's the owner...

Deshaun made a choice to sign the contract to PLAY FOOTBALL not Manage or coach the team... This is no different than me hiring some body to be a developer... They are not hired on to Manage developers or be a part of the business decision...

At the end of the day Watson is being paid very well to do a job, at the end of his contract if he doesn't like the situation he can leave.

T_Man

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

First of all, NO QB AND A BAD TEAM WINS A TITLE! And this organization has never been to a Conference title game much less a Super Bowl. Second, if you think trading Deshaun is going to solve your Cal Mcnair/ Easterbunny marriage problem then you're dreaming. By trading Deshaun, you're doing him a SERIOUS favor (unless its to the Jets) because all of your dysfunction is still here and the Texans will screw up any draft picks they acquire in the process. You can't have non football people making football decisions. The fact that someone told Deshaun he'd be involved with a GM search is just asinine but I don't doubt that it happened because the Texans are that stupid. They just can't get out of their own way.

#136 TEXNIFICENT, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If the Jets get Watson, I will be laughing so hard. NY trolling Houston. First Cole, then Harden, then Watson. Springer may end up there too.

#137 rockbox, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

And if that developer is unhappy with his bosses, you can either release him from his contract or keep a very disgruntled employee and see how that works out for you. Just because people sign contracts doesn't mean they just become drone worker bees. Watson's leverage is not that he can leave - it's that he can hamstring your franchise's ability to move forward with any kind of plan. Same power as Harden had, and you saw it when he finally traded and everyone said "we can finally move on" or "glad it's over with".

And it's not any kind of unfair/unreasonable use of leverage. Players and owners know when they sign the player to this kind of contract that the player is going to have some level of power. That's the flipside of the deal with owners expecting the player to be the face of the franchise.

DVauthrin and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The Watson situation isn't the problem, it's a symptom of a much larger problem. Even if they keep him or trade him for 17 1st round picks....the problem will still exist.

When a team is losing, their fans automatically think that their team is the worst run franchise in the league. But when the national media, former players, potential FA's and coaches, and even current players start picking up on it.....that tells you that it's much more than just fans being dramatic.

I used to hate it when fans made GRAND PROCLAMATIONS about quitting like in the OP. But now I agree with it. That's how far things have come.

DVauthrin, mikol13 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You know, I don't totally disagree with this. But the caveat is.......do you really think management is competent enough to make it happen the way you outline it? The way the Browns and Dolphins have done it? If yes, what evidence do you have to give you such hope? Our multiple playoff wins over the Bengals?

This is starting to shape up into a Clippers-like situation (not for the same reason, obviously) where the only possible way to fix things and move forward is for the owner to sell the team. And that's never going to happen.

Two Sandwiches likes this.