1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Actually if we can finish with one of the three worst records in the league ( and we are going to try )

I believe we have about a 53 percent chance of keeping the Pick and landing one of the 4 lottery balls

HP3 likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

Have the balls to gamble on the Nets being bad but not a top 4 pick on your own draft.

3. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

it’s mind boggling

HP3 likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They’re currently tied with 2 other teams for the 5th worst record.

with different rosters every game and multiple games with most of the minutes bu guys I didn’t know existed 5 months ago.

Point being... it’s hard being that bad.

i don’t see it.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Even if we traded Wall/Oladipo/Boogie, our team is too hardworking to really get a top 4 pick plus Wood is really talented.

I think the plan is to roll with Oladipo/Wall this year and see how far it takes us.

I actually think this year is a good test run of our new team first ball movement philosophy. Oladipo/Wall may be less talented than Harden/Westbrook but they are also lower usage guys and better defenders.

Yes, we'd all like to have a superstar but I'd rather have Oladipo for $25MM than some other combination of scrubs. There is a minimum to the cap, so we have to pay somebody. I'd trade him for a good pick but he's worth more than a low first from a contender.

6. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

This was also due to trying to get it to work the first few weeks. A last ditch homerun
    Swing by management.

I bet we don’t win another game for a few weeks and then people will
    Start to understand how bad this team really is. We will have the worst record
    In the west. I don’t know if it will be worst then Detroit’s but it’s about to get really ugly.

luckyman76, REEKO_HTOWN and HP3 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

You can tank intentionally. You just have to be smart about it.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

that’s true but Gordon won’t stay healthy. If we trade Tucker and Oladipo for picks that really just leaves Wall and Wood, which gives us a chance to tank.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Then we just have to be reallllllllly bad. Like buy john wall a trip to the bahamas. Give cousins a dirt bike and dare him to ride it through some greasy path. Let oladipo go to miami as soon as possible. Christian woods needs to get on the james Harden diet.

HP3 and Trackwell like this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

they almost went 2-0 with only one known quality nba player.

this is a bit of a stretch.

I would t be surprised if they were a bottom 4 team. I would t be surprised if the sneak into the nba playoffs.

hard to see how anyone can logically say anything else.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  11. Aruba77

seriously. It wouldn’t have been the route I would have chosen, but Stone decided to trade Harden for picks. That means we are gambling on a full rebuild. We effectively already gave up on this season.

Trackwell and HP3 like this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

I think the league will do us a solid for letting Harden go to the Nets and then not backing out with the kidney thing. Westbrook to the East also helped the league. The balls behind the curtain will bounce our way. If we are in the lottery. Not first over all but 2 or 3. We will see.

peleincubus and True Rocket like this.
  13. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Did you see Harden play like vintage Bird/Magic in his Nets debut? Might not ever be a player that talented again in the modern era.

HP3 likes this.
  14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

We became a championship caliber team without ever tanking under Les. I see no reason to start now tbh. I’d love for someone to post an article explaining why tanking is productive. For every “Process” Sixers, there are plenty of Hawks, Kings, Hornets, Bulls, Knicks, Grizzlies and Twolves who are just bad forever with nothing to show for it.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  15. Aruba77

the thing is, Oladipo Basically 29 and Wall is 30. They both have a legacy of injuries and we aren’t contending anytime soon. So I don’t see how they fit a rebuild. I agree that we don’t want to trade assets to move guys but I don’t see how staying competitive makes more sense than trying to get a top 4 pick

HP3 and Trackwell like this.
  16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I wouldn't trade them if it costs us picks, but we are definitely bad enough to tank. We have the 5th worst record in nba right now.

HP3 likes this.
  17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Time to find that Correa/Bregman type pick.

Trackwell likes this.
  18. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

I think your sleeping on this team fam, what u see now is now the end product.. after the trade deadline we gone know what we really working with, and it's not in the Rockets nature to Tank.. I believe were gonna be a team that compete and is gonna be a tuff out, all them low picks don't always pan out, we hold the keys to Brooklyn future so why Tank, we need the players we have now to get better every game and not waist there talent.

peleincubus and Jayzers_100 like this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

I’m seeing a lot “spirit of the game” type energy and it’s really not productive to making a championship contender.

xaos, luckyman76 and Trackwell like this.
  20. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

We didn’t tank in the past when Morrey really really wanted too because Les wound not let him!

He forced him
    To be competitive and stay a float ( he was trying to sell the team, I get it )

But trust me. If Morrey was here right now , we would be in
    Full tank mode. We are in full tank
    Mode!

luckyman76 and HP3 like this.