1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Tilman wasn't going to trade Harden to Philly no matter what Philly offered because of Morey.

Chamillionaire and HP3 like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

First Harden, then Oladipo, and now Simmons.

No one wants to play with John Walls and Boogie Cousins, the two key building blocks for road to a championship.

#noRespect

#pressConfereceIncoming

Sadboy, vator, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ben Simmons didn’t want to come to Houston? I’m glad we didn’t get him because trying to build around him would’ve been a complete waste of time and surefire L.

Aside from experience, what’s the big difference between rookie year Ben Simmons, and Ben Simmons now?

he makes 1 jump shot, and it’s front page news...

ElPigto, BigShasta, csnerd84 and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr. Space City

6. xaos

xaos Member

When Ben came in the league, I thought he could work on his shot and become a multi-year MVP. When he was rumored in Harden talks, I started to convince myself he could still do that.

Now that we didn't trade for him I am unexpectedly relieved. Getting Ben on that contract would force us to rush into winning NOW. That would mean Ben would need a shot NOW. Simply put, we wouldn't win a ring trying to build around Ben on the fly.

With the deal we got for Harden, we can control our destiny 2022 and 2023. We really have to hit a home run those 2 years and hope that the Nets experiment does not work. But, there is a lot of upside in drafting 2 top 5 picks two years in a row and potentially adding on more lotto picks 2024 or 2025 (from Nets). I would imagine we'll push for a playoff spot this year and go into full blown pick hoarding mode right after (OKC style).

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Depends on protections on draft compensation. If sixers offered 3 unprotected plus Simmons and thybulle and Simmons could’ve gotten back player plus 2 unprotected and then that player gets you another unprotected. That’s 6 unprotected firsts instead of 4 plus swaps (which may never confer)

HP3 likes this.
  9. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

After watching Simmons last night I'm getting more and more skeptical you could flip him for something like two unprotected picks and a player good enough to get an unprotected pick on their own.

I was fine with Simmons and vastly preferred him over Herro in that hypothetical debate as to who you'd rather have as an individual piece. But I think we may have seriously dodged a bullet if it was like Simmons, Matisse and one or two picks with fairly restrictive protections.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

From what I’ve read (and this may all be speculation): (1) There’s no indication the Sixers offered 3 FRPs, and (2) the Sixers were adamant about protecting any picks offered. At the end of the day, we’ll never really know.

BallaDoc likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya I was also "Simmons or don't bother trading" but the more I look at Simmons, the more skeptical I become. His lack of progression is really concerning. He's the exact same player he was his rookie year.

#371 fchowd0311, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

For all the people saying we should take Simmons, he’s a guy with one fatal flaw who has yet to prove he can do any damage in the playoffs. Just like teams killed Harden’s iso with high traps, you can kill his game by dropping back. Didn’t we just suffer through a year of watching teams do that to Brodie?

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Those iso high traps would kill anyone's game. I guarantee they won't kill Harden's game with KD on board, even more so when you add Kyrie. Talk about free lane to the basket.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The thing is when there are those iso traps to prevent a elite scorer from scoring, said elite scorer tries to reposition themselves to score in other ways like curl actions. Watch how someone like Jordan and Kobe score. They score in all areas of the court in multiple different ways. They'll catch the ball from the baseline and make a quick 2 pt jumper. Makes sense. You want your best scorer to still take shot attempts in late game situations. Of course opposing teams wanted to deny people like Jordan the ball in late game situations. Those iso traps won't work with Jordan because he'll find a way to quickly score without needing to bring the ball up the court and waking right into the double.

#374 fchowd0311, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I swear the people complaining about not getting Simmons dont even watch him play lol

BallaDoc and Sooner423 like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

You guys are overreacting to 9 games into the season with Simmons 9 games.

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

totally agree. That’s why they couldn’t do that to us with prime Paul

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

With KD and Kyrie it's a guarantee that Harden will adjust. He already has if you watched the Nets debut.

HP3 likes this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of the people who wanted this deal, myself included, also wanted Simmons to be moved to a third team. He's a valuable player and you could trade him for different young player, or more picks. I don't think many people actually want Simmons on the rockets.

bulkatron and HP3 like this.
  20. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Great point. However, from what I read, that third team was Sacramento. We would have been screwed either way: with Simmons or Bagley as the main piece.