1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Takeaways from Stone’s media availability 1/17/21

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 17, 2021.

1. hakeemthagreat

All GM's are bad liars, including the previous one in Houston. Remember "we're not trading Carmelo"? Or us telling CP3 he's not on the table? How about telling the media Philly has no intentions on trading Simmons? Let's not use Stone as the posterboy for untruthful general managers

Nelly, csnerd84 and lilbird20 like this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's been a recurring theme during the Tilman era to have the GM come speak to the media and insist that the team will be very aggressive (spending, paying the tax, trades, etc) in order to get better. Trying to demonstrate that ownership has the desire to do whatever it takes to make the team better. And then the opposite happens, they let these trade exceptions go unused and they give away assets to duck the tax and reduce salary, making the team worse.

3. Nook

Nook Member

He said it didn’t “effect us” and I am not buying that at all. Having said that, ultimately it doesn’t really matter as he really cannot saying anything other than that. The question was fair to ask but Stone isn’t going to saying anything other than what he said due to the precedence it would set.

I agree with your other points. I went back and listened to him again.

Also I thought he was fine, he didn’t seem especially nervous to me. He isn’t a gregarious guy like Morey or some other GM’s but he struck me as calculated and not nervous.

jiggyfly and HP3 like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

he mentioned the Lakers series too.

as for Feigen's question about Harden saying he thinking started in the Bubble, Stone says the bubble weared on ppl different ways, sympathetically, ("I was there.") Stone seemed sympathetic, more than trying to cover up for Fertitta or some narrative we are looking to reinforce or poke holes in.

i have zero take on this, so as non-polemist here, not looking to prop up or puncture a narrative, Stone sympathy for Harden's bubble experience could include a fall-out with WB, the House-situ, and last 2 games vs Lakers all beating down his enthuasism for the team. And Harden actually did mention that last point (wrt Lakers).

You only mention Harden talking about GM, HC and Monte ... when Harden also definitely mentioned the Lakers. Why'd you leave that out?

don grahamleone and Nook like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

I don't mind the hedging and skirting of the truth. It's not always in the best interest of the team for the GM to be 100% honest with the press. Can you imagine if he'd said, "I just got the damn job and the team superstar and fan favorite bails on me? Of course I was pissed off. And then while I was trying to find the best possible deal for the team, he decides to mouth off and makes my job even harder? Seriously??"

I like Stone's interview approach. Daryl seemed to want to cultivate his image in interviews, which over time created a bit of a divided media; some liked him, some decidedly didn't. Rafael seems to not care at all about anything other than the job itself, which might be good for us at this point.

don grahamleone, mikol13, Bo6 and 9 others like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wwith pursposeful and emphatic slow cadence of words, Stone first said "It did not affect *me*, at all." then, "Not sure about other teams."

be alert for when we try to see lies in others. Often it is us hunting for them, and shaping comments to suit our own narratives.

7. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

To devil's advocate this, cause and effect could be at least somewhat backwards. On Windhorst's podcast he was saying that he and others had heard that Tuesday was the day the call came from high up in BKN to really go for it to get Harden in part because of the concerns about Kyrie. Based on that, it doesn't sound like this offer had been on the table the whole time. It doesn't seem at all far-fetched Harden also got the message "we/they are serious about trading for you, do what you have to do to get yourself out of there."

heypartner and Nook like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You mean Morley the guy who failed to get Harden because he sat on his ass waiting for a call?

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

IN all honesty, I think Stern would have thrown the book at Harden for 'basketball reasons' if he was still around

10. Rockets4Life13

When we traded RoCo for that first round pick everyone was convinced it was to save money but then they went and signed Wood so I’d rather wait it out than trust CF on this, tbh.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

No, I deal with it for a living, I deal with people trying to lie to me or other people.

He also followed up saying “us”. Why did you choose to leave that out?

HP3 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Because the assertion was “in the bubble”. I took that mean’t before the Lakers series was concluded. I do not doubt at all the Lakers series played a part as well, as you said Harden mentioned the Lakers series.

HP3 likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Harden has never pushed any narrative about Morey leaving
    until last night when a reporter specifically asked him to comment on it.

All we have seen since this off season is hit piece after hit piece about Hardens character, team culture and how he tries to undermine the front office. Wasn't there a specific article that theorizes that Morey left because he heard Harden was leaving. Nothing came out of the Harden camp except for one instagram comment from his mom about him wanting to win a championship.

I find it suspect that one side is trying very hard to push a narrative, shifting the blame on the GM leaving on Harden.

I don't doubt that Harden contemplated on leaving while he was getting spanked by the Lakers in the Bubble. He probably knew it would be very hard to compete for a championship with our current aging setup. However, it makes no sense that Morey left all of a sudden in a middle of a lucrative contract mainly because Harden is leaving. Morey didn't start working with the Rockets because of Harden, he did a couple of "rebuilds" since 2007 with Tmac and Yao leaving, to Dwight Howard leaving. Morey has never shown any indication that he is not a rebuilding GM. You didnt see Sam Presti jumping ship due to WB and PG leaving.

Morey made some excuse about his kids while leaving tons of money on the table, only to pop up in Philly a week later essentially giving Tilman the middle finger for the whole world to see. Does that seem like the decision was made because of Harden?

I think if Morey was still here, things wouldn't have been so messy at the end with Harden. It is what it is at this point.

14. csc177

csc177 Member

I like Stone.

He answered those questions like any other competent GM would (most protecting their owner)

i’m giving dude a chance before I throw all this unwarranted negative hate/shade his way. Dudes that are already hating this man and mocking his public speaking are weird.

mikol13, Mkieke and Amel like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

There was nothing wrong with Stone’s public speaking at the press conference. He may prove to be a very good GM, I just do not believe him on some points.

HP3 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Groundhog day with Bill?

Sign me up.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Also I am sorry if I came off as short in responding to you. I respect your dialogue and opinion.

BHannes2BHonest, Deuce, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  18. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

A few things I took away from Stone's presser about Oladipo were these. Stone kept mentioning "fit". He also said that "your hope is that it's a perfect marriage". He also said "we get to see how it works out". Like I said before this is "lease to own" option with Victor. They could look to keep him or trade him off to the highest bidder. Victor could love it here or want to be traded away. The word the Stone kept repeating was "flexibility" which is the same thing I've been preaching since the Harden trade occurred.

don grahamleone and csc177 like this.
  19. jogo

jogo Member

Chance of using the trade exception: less than 10%?

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, Morey expressed concerns the bubble would lead to the next super team, that when players get together you can't control the decisions they make. This seems to have been foreshadowing to what he saw taking place. I have no reason to doubt the premise that this decision was done well before this season transpired. It also validates some of the speculation of how disrespected the team felt. I'm sure the players were doing their best to sway his decision and felt jilted. This isn't something you communicate down until it's completed, but can make it more painful for the players invovled.