1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Takeaways from Stone’s media availability 1/17/21

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I.D.I.O.T

I got about 5 min through

stone giving off “ I’m just here so I don’t get fined” vibes

“um , uh , you know”

like Morey , stone should find a gymnast to date because he looooves flexibility ;)

tough situation . You can’t say with a straight face we traded James and like our current position better . Obviously about the future

“We like victor” ... reporter ,”victor is in the last year of his contract”

doh .

like I said got 5 min in , then started focusing on the Landry’s logo in the background and stopped watching . May listen to the rest when I’m taking a ****

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Public speaking wise he sounds very nervous still.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We may not hear from him again for the rest of the year so enjoy! Homie is on stealth mode lol.

don grahamleone, Bo6, mikol13 and 5 others like this.
  5. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

How many lies did we count here?

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What's the point of having someone speak at an empty podium in a mask? Is the first row less than 6 feet away?

Anyways, as always, Clutch does the best job of parsing what matters on his Twitter, the top one being the most interesting..

Capture.JPG

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

8. Nook

Nook Member

Stone isn’t a good liar. No one believes the Harden trade just happened to occur 18 hours after Harden finally went to the podium and said he wanted out. No one is going to buy that the Rockets are better after trading Harden. However I know he works for someone that expects his staff to give BS responses so I don’t really hold it against Stone.

What he said about Oladipo is consistent with what @treyk3 said right after the deal about the Rockets actually liking Oladipo.

The trade exception and the salary space created is interesting because IF the Rockets take the long term view they could turn that into multiple #1 picks. I also wouldn’t be shocked if some of these draft picks in 2021 and 2022 are not traded to either move up in the lottery or traded to teams desperate to pick someone for more future picks.

Stone sort of alluded to it, but the whole idea is to use these assets to get in a position for high lottery picks and to trade for really good players.

Stone knows what he is doing. The question is how good will the Rockets be and identifying draft prospects.

It is painful to see someone as special as James Harden go @Deuce , and most fans have no idea how special he is. However the Rockets have to move on and that is something Stone also addressed.

I have serious concerns about ownership and the lack of assets and money spent within the organization on player talent evaluation and development.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I like this new Mr. Woods poster

Mr Woods likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Agreed on all counts.

Nook and saleem like this.
  11. ballgame

ballgame Member

No....He sounded very intelligent, know what his goals are and the type of players he's looking for (two way players), unlike the last GM

dcfma, csc177, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

He mentioned they would be looking aggressively to use the $15 million TPE they generated in the recent trades, thought that was interesting.

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Aggressively looking to use the trade exception...don't think I believe that.

sammy, jiggyfly, joshuaao and 15 others like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

He is nervous. He is essentially a transactional attorney.

15. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Did he mention $15M specifically (I haven't watched yet)? I thought it was only $10M after reworked trade.

sirjesse likes this.
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The Rockets are better after trading THAT HARDEN. Yeah the one who was throwing games yes we are better without him.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He said it didn’t change the Rockets approach. That’s hard to believe — keeping Harden away from the team
    is probably not ideal for him or his trade value — but still consistent with all the known facts. It is possible that the Rockets knew they needed to trade Harden “sooner rather than later” (as was reported weeks before) and Harden’s statement pushed the Nets to make a proposal that was acceptable to them. I never believed it was all that realistic that Harden could be convinced to stay, and I’m glad the trade was made fairly early in the season.

One kind of interesting thing is that Stone said believed Harden wanted to go elsewhere while in the Bubble, which is different from how many on here have been trying to portray what happened. This further leads me to think that Morey left knowing Harden was not happy about the direction of the team.

The good thing is both the Rockets and Harden seem to want to move on from this and not pick fights with one another through the media. That’s the best thing for both parties.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I miss Murray

HP3, Deckard, linvetb6 and 3 others like this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don’t think Harden was throwing games, but he clearly didn’t have his heart in it and it’s hard to build chemistry under those circumstances. I agree we are better off without that version of Harden.

Invisible Fan, jch1911, dcfma and 3 others like this.