1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo traded to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Literally everything you are saying contradicts. Sit the vets, trade the vets, but also play them to up their value.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I get that. It’s part of give and take in a conversation. Maybe if you take your feelings out, you could see that.
    My preference is to get rid of the valuable assets ASAP, I understand that is a problem because some can’t be traded yet. So of course you have to play them to not have dissent and to hopefully get trade value up.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Wall is a negative asset with his salary so you want to send him out means you are giving FRPs to make it happen. Doubt that is a wise use of resources. EG may be on the same boat.

joshuaao, ksny15 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree.
    It’s unfortunate and the only hope at resolution is to have them play and hopefully play well.
    I understand we are stuck with that, my preference is something that probably isn’t available.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's the problem we have which is why we can't tank. I honestly don't think it's a good decision to tank this year anyways. Hope that you can build up Walls and EGs value this year and maybe you can get another team to take them this summer since there won't be any significant FAs available.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

EG is totally fine to keep, you don't have to dump him if you tank cause he's not winning you games anyway. Wall is the first player we should trade, and i'd even dump him with a pick if necessary, we have a lot of picks, a couple of them are really average (Detroit/Milwaukee/Portland) and would be worth it if you consider you get back a great chance at a top 4 pick in a great draft and possibly a lot of cap space.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don’t need to up the value on Dipo. I think it would be better now before teams like Miami figure out they have no chance this year. We can couple him with assets on Feb. 2nd. Grabbing young assets for the inevitable re-build is much more important than a 4-0 sweep come playoff time. The kids will still compete hard and learn Silas’ system. Even if Wall and Wood are good enough to get us in the playoffs we still gain a good young player or more draft assets.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

EG needs to be dumped to free up a max salary slot going forward.

In a dream world the guy would start making some shots and we could give him away for free. Probably costs 2 firsts though...

9. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Wall is who he is. No point of attaching a pick to move him in my opinion. Let me ask you this question though (curious what others think about this as well). What is the likelihood that Wall opts in the 22-23 season to make $47 million dollars? Does anyone see a scenario where he might actually opt out to go chase a ring somewhere? I could see arguments for both sides but what do you guys think?

Rocket River likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In my ideal world
    I would like Wall and Oladipo gone this summer
    I don't hate Wall but I just don't think that he fits out timeframe
    He might r****d the team development.

Rocket River

ksny15 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No way in hell he opts out . .. . NONE!

Rocket River

ksny15 and Htown's Finest like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We are stuck with Wall for the duration of his contract.

Htown's Finest and Rocket River like this.
  13. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Wall just needs to prove he can stay healthy. Anyone wanna explain to me why Bledsoe fetched as much as he did and why we couldn't get the same for a healthy Wall?

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Smart, very smart. The Miami part is interesting. Let's hope Dipo can step up quickly to the plate.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His contract is steep.

16. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Yeah that $47 million dollars is no joke.

saleem likes this.
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Listening to Stone talk about Vic, I just don’t get the impression that they view him as some expiring contract or trade asset. He sounds genuinely excited about the fit. I get that it could all be bluster, but man, it’s sure convincing bluster.

joshuaao, RudyTBag and treyk3 like this.
  18. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Corporate talk I'm sure. Might be some truth in there as well. I bet the Rockets are going into this situation hoping for the best with Victor. And if he gives them any indications that he'll resign here then I'm sure that'll be a go.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I kept trying to tell everyone that they weren't indicating privately that the trade for him was viewed as just an expiring. They are saying that they think he is a borderline superstar. Not that I agree with that but they see clearly something in their scouting. Now could that also be fluff? sure. Regardless they sought out Oladipo in this trade. He isn't the only asset available for someone as talented as Caris LeVert (prior to the physical obviously).

joshuaao, ElPigto and Houston77 like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is it even fitting to use that word?

Delay development would have sufficed. ;)