1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Rodions Kurucs Is A Diamond In The Rough for Rockets Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jan 13, 2021.

1. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Still a long way to go before he becomes Rodimus Prime. Need to become Hot Rod first.

hakeem94 and airflights92 like this.
  2. BreakYoSelfFool

I get Pete Chilcutt vibes from him

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s better than KJ and Caboclo, athletic and long. At least knows where to be without practicing.
    I’ll take it. Hopefully him and KJ reach some potential.

4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

He is a big body, maybe work on him being a stretch 5. See if he can play Center for 10 mins a game. Only thing you can do is see if he works harder on his game or flip him as a prospect in a trade if he doesnt pan out. At 22, he got way to go, maybe he needs the right trainers.

Shark44 likes this.
  5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Probably jitter after not playing meaningful minutes for a long time but his shot looked pretty terrible yesterday.

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

You may be on to something! Read this article about him https://www.netsdaily.com/2020/7/28/21344727/rodions-kurucs-the-stretch-5

Here's an excerpt...

After an up-and-down sophomore campaign, Rodions Kurucs has entered the “bubble” with a vengeance.

Kurucs is off to a scorching hot start in Orlando. Across three scrimmages, the second year Latvian is shooting a boiling 8-of-12 from downtown — doing much of his damage from the top of the arc as the Nets backup stretch 5. Stretch what!?!

Kurucs’ hot shooting in Orlando continues one of the few positives for him this season — he seems to have become a pure shooter. In 39 games before the league’s suspension, Kurucs shot a strong 39 percent from behind the arc. With all that he can bring with his activity, defensive physicality, and knack for cutting and diving, Kurucs can be a very valuable player if those shooting numbers are for real.

The “bubble” experience has provided a new wrinkle for Kurucs, though. A chance to make his game more versatile — as well as valuable — by proving he’s capable of handling small-ball stretch 5 duties. It wasn’t his deep shooting either. Playing an average of 22 minutes in the three games, Kurucs put up 13.3 points and 5 rebounds a game. Overall, he shot 58.3 percent. And he was his usual annoying self on defense.

Garrett Temple was bullish on the match-up problems Kurucs can cause for other teams while playing the 5:

“Having (Kurucs) at the 5 with his energy, his ability to rebound, set good screens and then shoot the three like he does, he’s gonna be good for us. He’s been playing really well in practice for us at the five...”

For Kurucs, the position adjustment has been relatively seamless, but he acknowledges he needs to talk more defensively as the anchor of the defense.

“I adjusted pretty quick. I just had to learn little things, what the bigs have to do, communication,” Kurucs said after practice last Thursday. “We just have to communicate to the guards and tell them everything what to do on defense. That was the hardest part for me, because I’m not used to talking as much in the defense because the bigs were talking. I have to get used to that, adjust to that.”

D-rock and Mathloom like this.
  7. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Kid had a lot of hustle but was obviously nervous last night. Ran the court very well.

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Might be alright, give him time to grow

raining threes likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

5?
    I actually liked him at 3

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

that is encouraging!

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  11. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Ferntits approves

KingCheetah likes this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

I personally wouldn't crucify this kid. He's young, coming off the bench, and makes under 2mil a year.

13. R94

R94 Member

Looks pretty good in his highlights. Definitely could see him working his way into rotation, especially with House sitting out.

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I see him as a future good 3&D guy. He still has a long way to go tho.

He shot a lot of airballs this game but when he was on the Nets, he could hit them I assume he's just young and nervous like KJ Martin. His defense is really solid for a big guy, he can really move his feet. He also has handles, can dribble well for a big man.

#174 RocketsFido, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would give him all of House's mins and see if we have anything to work with.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, KJ and Kurucs would take all of House minutes and Mason take all of Gordon’s.

17. ballgame

ballgame Member

I think he can be effective next to Woods. He runs the floor, moves well on the perimeter and he can shoot the 3.....I just think he was nervous and he needs to get time to show it

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Red Sparrow?

19. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I watched a clip of a Nets Pistons game.

This guy made an impact on the game. He scored, he rebounded, he blocked shots, he stole the ball. He got under the skin of Blake Griffin.

This guy plays defense. He gives a good effort. I think he's what many were hoping Isaiah Hartenstein would develop into.

While the Rockets don't have big burly enforcer to clog the lane, Kurucs with his strong will and effort will definitely be worth some playing time. I think Stephen Silas will put Kurucs to good use.

D-rock likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

(Bump time)
    We either find that he is believed in ... or he’s cut for a replacement big.