1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo traded to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Kingsman

Kingsman Member

Long time lurker here.

From what I've read Pacers reddit, Dipo was offered full max (25mil per year) and turned that down as he can get about 32mil per this offseason. He was playing more for the stats then his team, that and turning the max made the Pacers trade him (even with newly found LeVert's health issue).

He might play more freely with Rockets (that we will yet to see), but best believe Rockets will need to max him out in offseason (that's if they don't trade him prior or he dosent bolt for Miami).

It could be a lot like PG situation, because Houston will be able to offer 1 year longer contract than any other team, and since his after that dola dola, it might be just enough to keep him.

2. ClutchCity9495

I must admit I'm not as familiar as I should be with Oladipo, I know an All Star caliber player, but how much of him is Diva. He is a stat padder and for himself, or is he a team player with a passion to win. I have seen a lot of negative post about him from Indiana fan that he quit on them, all about the money. I really don't want anymore cancers infecting this team, with Harden gone we have a chance for a new culture and direction. If someone really familiar with his character, can you please post about it. I want to hear the positives what were getting. If he is not on board with a mission, then he needs to be shipped out of here. Rather have Jones as the 2 guard if Oladipo is not on the same page. I see players like Wood and Tate have a lot of passion want to win. We need more of that attitude here.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

I’m not sure what he’s actually looking for, but the Pacers were limited by the CBA in what they could offer Oladipo. If I were him, I wouldn’t take that 2 year extension either.

roslolian, Ramo$e, Houston77 and 2 others like this.
  4. Kingsman

Kingsman Member

Yah it makes sense for him not to take it as he probably going to get his last long term contract. There's also going to be a lot of money in free agency and not a whole lot of good FA's so he might get offers from teams like Knicks who should have 2 max slots. For Pacers they just did not want to gamble, not to mention he already was sending mixed signals that he wanted out. He was also having a greatly reduced role, behind Brodgan and Sabonis.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . Stone doesn't actually talk to players?

Is he that hands off?

Rocket River

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Likely some covid procedure?

treyk3 likes this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Nah Westbrook really isn't a point guard though.

8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I dont see how this guy thinks he worth a max? I have followed him, and remember he can spark it and run the floor and be very all star lite. I hear it is his defense that puts him on the top, which is good , But i havent heard anything from him last 2 years, just like john.

I think he will have to settle for 1-1 type deal to prove himself. I mean even still he didnt really put up the stats like John did in the East to get that big max from a team. John gave alot to Wizards to get that contract. Now hes got to find a way to get a close to max contract given time where he can prove his value. Honestly he a risk to take if he pans out.

He probably down because he was going to be good for indiana but the last 2 years of his health prevented him to be a cornerstone to that indiana team. Maybe here something works out for him and being a contributor and leader for this team might help him. Never know what he can bring now hes healthy.

That team John lead in the East when Ariza was on it was nice team.

9. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This is good!!! Let the pro basketball players and Coach handle basketball. Yes we'll listen to stats on areas we need to approve or where we need to focus on the other teams. It's nice to have a regular GM. We'll still shoot 3's(more than the Spurs anyway) our guys just won't jack up random threes anymore.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Rockets are in Chicago

Rafael is in Houston.

I know they could link it through zoom but I'm sure they want the optics to show Oladipo and Silas together at the podium.

12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This is more of a salary or asset move... I don't see O being with the Rockets long term.

Now this is Silas team and now he can implement his offense schema which is moving and passing.

T_Man

Plowman likes this.
  13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Gone by the trade deadline for more picks

Plowman likes this.
  14. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I don't see Oladipo being a long-term move, and it doesn't feel like the FO thinks he is either. Wouldn't be surprised to see him moved before the deadline or for him to walk away in free agency without much of a fight from us. He'll get the max money he wants this off-season, and for a team in rebuild mode he probably doesn't make as much sense.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think this is a calculated gamble by Stone with TF approval...

- Acquire Oladipo while his value is down and see how he plays and blends with the team over next 2-months
    - If he plays well and buys into system that gives us options
    -- Sign him to a longer-term contract and pair him with Wall to give us a competitive starting backcourt
    -- Trade him in March with PJ and/or others for best young assets or draft picks we can get
    - If he doesn't fit in and creates issues, we can deal him sooner just not on a combined deal or for as good as return
    - Worst-case he plays out the season and walks... I think this is less likely scenario and Stone/Silas will work towards the other options above

Personally, I've never been a big fan of his game, but I haven't watched him except when he played against the Rox. When we played him earlier this year, he doesn't look as explosive or as athletic as he use to. He's probably still getting the quad right and testing its limits. I'm excited to see how he and Wall play together. A hustling dynamic defensive guard tandem is something we've not had in sometime--could be fun!

Bo6, Rocket River, finsraider and 2 others like this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

doesnt mean he won’t bust his ass on the court before then. He’s playing for a max deal

Plowman likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Pretty good breakdown.

This is prob what Rox are doing and if the chips fall right we get to have our max caliber talent and still get picks for the next 7 yrs.

Plowman and Shark44 like this.
  18. finsraider

finsraider Member

good summary. Yes, I think this is it.

If we kept Levert, there was really only one option...he plays well for us.

With Oladipo, we could trade him, resign him or let him walk and use the cap space. Unless you thought Levert was a transcendent talent (he’s not), I think Stone made the right move.

CVcrew and Shark44 like this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for pointing out the cap space savings in the worst case scenario, I meant to mention that, but forgot.

clos4life likes this.
  20. JW86

JW86 Member

So Dipo not playing in Chicago either?