1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, it is early but he hasn’t given me anything to love yet.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Ha I was thinking the same when I saw the Suzuki signing.

I will be irate if Josh Reddick is back in right field...

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Happy Pedro Leon Day!

Nook likes this.
  4. Fantasma Negro

I understand the business side of it but for **** sake give him the ****ing 3 million

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It wouldn’t be the end of the world if Reddick was resigned, but only if it meant they also resigned Springer.

6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Kirby Yates narrowed his list from 12 to 5 teams and is close to signing. I wonder if the Astros are 1 of the 5 teams/were 1 of the 12 teams?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its actually $1 million they're haggling over... but this is the case with every team no matter who the player. The Angels/Ohtani is the more interesting standoff.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Correa asked for $12.5 and the Astros countered with $9.75.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

One of the tweets said the Astros were willing to settle at $11.125m, so they're haggling over $1.375m

No Worries and punkoholic like this.
  10. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Did I miss something? Which tweet said that? The only thing I have seen in a tweet is that $11.125m is the midpoint.

desihooper likes this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Correa's ask is way higher than any of the arbitration estimates for him that I have seen. Considering the payroll restraints the Astros are under, this could be the difference between adding another solid reliever or getting a better backup catcher.

You missed a tweet from above...

whiskeyred and Astrofan59 like this.
  12. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Thanks

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's an interesting arbitration case. His value based on his last 3 seasons (injuries in 2018 and 2019, subpar play in 2018 and 2020) is nothing special. But his 2020 postseason was something else, entirely. And he's still only 25 and likely to improve year to year.

14. Major

Major Member

Gives you a good sense that the Astros don't see a long-term deal with Correa as likely. If it was, you give in on the $1.3MM in good faith and just try to take it back in the long-term deal where it's basically the equivalent of pennies. You don't set up a contentious and often ugly arbitration case where you basically have to make your case about all the flaws of the player.

mikol13 and Shark44 like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If Correa has a monster season he will get a monster deal that the Astros will never pay. I would take one last go at it and trade Correa in the off season.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He is a UFA after this season so they have nothing to trade after the 2021 season is over.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry, I though we had him thru 2022.

We are screwed then. The decision is to go for it this year, lose him for nothing but a draft pick or trade him now. It would have to be for a top prospect that is MLB ready at short or 3b, and a bunch of other solid prospects to give up World Series contention this year.

#1577 Hemingway, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Most likely... then again they had contentious moments with both Altuve and Bregman over their early contracts and it didn’t prevent them from working something out.

But its safe to say the best chance to get an extension is now or during the early parts of the season. If they decide to let him play it out, or he decides to see if he can make it to the open market, it will likely be the springer situation all over again (which is still unresolved).

I wonder if they’re also being advised to wait and see what the new CBA brings... both sides may be in a vastly different place as far as contract values go after they work all of it out.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pitchers and catchers report in 28 days and there are still 25 position players and 16 pitchers available who project for >1 fWAR. We should see 3-4 significant free agent signings per day starting tomorrow. An Astros optimist would assume Click predicted the late blooming market and is waiting it out to find excellent values to fill the outfield holes.

Guys I think might be good values:

SP: Porcello, Archer, Richards, Walker, Rodon
    OF: Profar, E Hernandez, Villar, Puig, Souza
    C: Castro, Flowers, Avila, Chirinos, Ramos

20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I don’t think Astros are going to reduce payroll like most. Sounds like Click wants a closer and the Astros are still in contact with Hand per mlbtraderumors.com

I’ll say Astros nab two amongst a group of Springer, Brantley, Ozuna, Bradley Jr, Beinitendi, Profar on increasingly less money as teams round out spots.

Blue Jays want one.
    Mets want one but might not have the $$ left for Springer.

Doesn’t seem to be any other contending team with a clear need for an OF’er.