1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker Has the Audacity...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownrox1, Dec 26, 2020.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Over the past few games I have seen Tucker in a new light. I am becoming a fan again. He seem to have taken a mentor role while still being effective on the floor. He works with all but Tate the most. Tate must really be a good person because Harden spent time with him, too. Younger players need more than talent. Thank goodness for veteran leadership.

Bo6, Shark44 and Amel like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sure, play out his contract or trade him, but no new contract.

DD

Fulgore, DCHAMP and fattz like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Or a vet min contract.

4. DaDakota

Nah he can go somewhere else and play with a contender while we rebuild.

DD

DCHAMP, fattz and saleem like this.
  5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If I'm running a team, I want young players to learn from solid, good character vets who play hard and play smart. PJ is absolutely the type of vet I'd want them to learn from. He's going to play good defense, make the right pass, and play whatever role he's asked. If he wants to leave, let him go. But I'd love him to retire a Rocket. Nothing but love for the modern-day Mario Elie.

Unless someone's offering a FRP, in which case you absolutely take that. He could always come back if he wants down the line.

fattz, Shark44 and Amel like this.
  6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I love PJ. Now that we are in full rebuild mode with James gone we need to trade him and collect now. Don’t let him go to waste by walking after the year. Even 2-3 2nds would be nice.

HP3, clos4life, DCHAMP and 2 others like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, that is the more likely scenario, and I prefer that as well, just saying I have nothing against him and I appreciate that he plays as hard as ever.

CCity Zero and fattz like this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I love PJ's attitude and glad he's embraced his new role. There is definitely a place for him as a mentor on a young team, but I agree with the sentiment if you can get decent assets you give him an opportunity to play for a chip.

I don't understand the Minny interest, except as a mentor and to set the defensive intensity, but if we send him to MIA with Oladipo that would seem to make them more competitive in the East immediately. That can't happen until early March, so we'll likely have some time for Silas to test drive the team as is.

fattz likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

not sure but i have a feeling Tuck just wants security. I'm sure we can negotiate a cheap extension which in that case you definitely do.

don't make the same mistake we did with Ariza, letting him go for free when the Suns were able to deal him later that year for a profit even with a big contract.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, he's not worth more than one second round draft pick. The Rockets will either have to get real or be stuck with him till he can go away in FA.

12. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I disagree and I bet you that if he’s moved he nets you more than that. If you were a GM for a contending team and you have a legitimate shot this year you wouldn’t trade a late 1st rounder to help you out this year? I know at least 4-5 teams would. One Lebron injury would make that number at least 10.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If PJ Tucker was 5 years younger, absolutely I could see it. At this point, you'd have to be pretty incompetent to trade a first rounder for a guy who is set to be a FA at the end of the season who is only occasionally a net positive on the court.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

PJ Tucker will be 37 when the playoffs roll around next season, you aren't getting much. His value is at his highest now because he will be wanted for this postseason, and you also acquire his bird rights to do with as you please

I love everything about Tucker, but he simply serves no purpose towards our long term goals. He is a pure role player, which only has value to a contender. It would be absurd to let him walk, but they won't do that.

charlieaustin likes this.
  15. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Time will tell but if I didn’t have a stopper on my team and I felt my team had a legitimate chance this year I absolutely am trading a late 1st rounder. The percentage of late 1st rounders that make it are low and the percentage that actually stick with the team that drafted them is even lower.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've seen enough. We need to trade Tucker asap, before teams realize that he is only going to get worse.

DaDakota likes this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He hasn’t checked in since 8:04 left in the third. He went back to the lockers and was gone for a bit. Wonder what’s up. Hope he’s not hurt.

18. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Tucker has just been abysmal lately. He used to contribute at least corner threes in addition to screens and defense. At this point I don't see why we have him on the floor.

[​IMG]
    Even his screens and defense have slipped and he has added bad passes, turnovers etc.

Perhaps a fresh start for him on another team would get him going.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I think everyone on this board overrates the guy. He's such a likable player but come on he's 35 years old, going on 36, and he's averaging 5.5/4.8/1.6 a game while getting over 30 minutes a game...that's um, not very good.

His PER is a whopping SEVEN and he's been a net negative player this year so far - without Harden I don't see him being a huge contributor anywhere and will likely be coming off the bench for 10-15 minutes on any legitimate title contender.

DaDakota and gfab-babyboi like this.
  20. DaDakota

Yep, been saying that all thread.

DD