1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happens with Oladipo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Jan 17, 2021.

?

What happens with Oladipo?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2021.
  1. Traded at the deadline

59.1%
  2. Walks in FA for cap room

21.5%
  3. Extended to a long term contract

19.4%
  1. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Anyone think Oladipo is really in the long term plan for Houston? The trade for him on an expiring contract still perplexes me, is he just a trade waiting to happen in March, someone we let walk away (which would be disappointing as hes the main player from the harden trade), or someone thats coming off injury that is extended at 4 yrs 112 million plus by us?

I guess its a wait and see, but landing Oladipo in this trade was really strange.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're right, it was strange because of his history of multiple injuries. I believe he is only an expiring contract. Tilman might trade him for future picks and another expiring contract by March.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I was criticized for suggesting trading Westbrook to the Knicks in the summer for non guaranteed contracts for cap
    space and being a player in free agency [plus pick(s)]........but I did not suggest trading Harden for the same crap.

But that is basically what the Rockets have done. Unless someone thinks Kurucs can be really good. The Rockets
    traded for cap space (millions saved in the trade itself) and expiring contract of Exum.

Oladipo more than likely will be flipped at the trade deadline.......but unlike the time the Knicks could have had Melo
    in the off-season but had their arm twisted to trade for Melo (during the season) with Denver. Riley won’t make
    that mistake here. Some team will trade for Dipo at the trade deadline; but it will only be a contender as a rental.

Everyone knows Dipo will go to Miami in the off season as a free agent. Riley won’t give up players/picks to get
    something he will get anyway if he just waits a few more months.

#3 ApacheWarrior, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Highlyrated, FrontRunner and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tbh a healthy Oladipo at 30M/4 is prob better than Harden at 50M/5 (what he would have signed for as reported to be the largest extension in NBA history). Yeah Harden is a lot better than Oladipo but prob not another 20M guy better.

Whether he is traded or extended both are fine outcomes to me. He is only 28 and will be around Harden's current age when his extension ends.

The only bad outcome is if Rox do nothing and let him walk away in FA without a sign and trade. THEN its not worth it as the Rox lost a 2nd rounder getting him.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont think its strange I think its a good move cuz you take a flyer on a potential max guy if he is good and trade him if he isnt.

NO did the same thing with Brandon Ingram. Ingram had blood clot risk and NO waited to see if he was clear before they extended him. He turned out to be the best asset in the AD trade.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

supermax. the breh can sing

napalm06 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

This isnt the same thing. He doesnt want to be here.

9. Rockets4Life13

That’s simply not true. He may prefer Miami, but Dipo never said he doesn’t want to be here. In fact, Mac said that Dipo is excited to be here

Jayzers_100 and abaker28 like this.
  10. VoR

VoR Member

Celtics or Warriors.

I’m hoping Warriors—better draft assets and chances of a decent pick.

Don’t be surprised if a Clippers wild card comes in with the Silas connection and depth being an interest for the Clips going into the playoffs.

Covid has turned this into the haves and have nots. Five teams with a shot want multiple assets to contest the Lakers.

Oladipo plus Tucker Gordon to the Dubs for Wiseman, Poole and a pick would do it for me.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Let's hope he will put in 100 percent in every game for us.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  12. anchel

anchel Member

He was a very serious player a year ago... I mean a true all-star player. If he shows that level, that's what you're looking for when a James harden leaves, right? If only is valid a top-5 player, good luck with a decade of sucking.

If he shows all-star level (that's a VERY HIGH level), I would prefer to re-sign him. Then we'll see what happens next season with Wall, if Wall does not show all-star level, don't keep him and you have space for another star. And the Brooklyn picks, and Wood growing. Not sucking.

13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

If this guy comes in here and wins games he will be like me and john gonna be the new thing in the west. He can embrace this situation or he can play hard to prove he is worth as max somewhere else. He obviously has to play hard to improve his value.

If he feels he likes Houston he could sign for that 2 year 1 and 1 and really up his contract, cause you never know if people might pass on him and he is stuck taking rockets offer. It all depends on what the rockets do this year. It would be neat if this team comes together and sneaks in the playoffs. Hey its a new team, 3 semi stars who are coming back from rehab could have good years. Gordon if healthy plays a critical part if he contributes off the bench.

I like to see this team get a 6th seed, and be the Okc of last year, with a guru like John Wall. But https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-nba-predictions/rockets/ Five Thirty Eight thinks they will play hard but miss the boat, probably because of injury bug. Lets hope not, i like to see if this new team can actually come together and be good. Crosses Fingers.

saleem likes this.
  14. Asian Sensation

Will C. We have a lot of leverage.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Traded at the deadline, I hope. Unless we are aiming for the 6th-8th seed every year which I could see Tilman wanting - more fans will delude themselves into thinking we are contending and will spend more money.

D-rock likes this.
  16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Not sure what comes of Oladipo but I hope we look to convince him to modify his game. Ask him to shoot more catch and shoot threes, less shots off the dribble, less or zero midrange shots, shots at the basket when you have a step on someone otherwise kick it back out to the 3 point line. Could end up being more efficient than ever if we can work more to his strengths. I have been mostly impressed with how Wall has been more efficient on 2’s since he seems to be trying to take less midrange but sometimes resorts back to his weak midrange game which is not necessary. We can always get a better shot than an 18 footer.

On defense, Hopefully he will get back to 2 steals a game with plenty of deflections, etc that lead to TO’s. Something Harden was great at and people don’t understand that is what made him an above average defender when committed.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

If he keeps playing well, I hope they look hard at resigning him. A 20+ ppg SG who plays plus D absolutely can be a 2nd or 3rd option on a really good team. I want us to adopt a more defensive-oriented identity going forward.

18. PatBev

PatBev Member

Probably trying to deal him to the Heat for Herro

Harden to Brooklyn just set the bar for the league and especially in the East. Jimmy is 31 and Miami can’t waste his prime. Unless Riley truly thinks Herro & Bam is the future, he needs to trade for Oladipo if they want to compete and not waste the few years left in him

Plus Oladipo actually wants to be there. I see Oladipo & PJ for Herro + filler

Herro + Wood would be exciting and appealing while we build through the draft

Y2JT and pippendagimp like this.
  19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if BKN gets a normal kyrie back and a big man (deandre is god awful now), aint nobody beatin that team in the east, and maybe not even fakers at the big dance

D-rock likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Surprised they haven’t picked up Dedmon

pippendagimp likes this.