1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Covid-19 Vaccines Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by deb4rockets, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's unfortunate that the supply hasn't kept up with the demand. But, one silver lining is that the general population is trying hard to get vaccinated.

In the early stage of vaccine rollout when it was limited to hospital staff, I heard plenty of workers refusing it along with many nonhealthcare people very skeptical. The overall fears of the vaccine are changing for the better.

Pringles likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That last line is basically what I was trying to say :D

3. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

The sad fact is, the feds would have the most experience with logistics for supply, but they basically washed their hands and just gave supply to the states. The states pushed responsibility of the rollout themselves to the providers. I have no idea how they are deciding where supplies go.

From there you'll get completely a mix bag of local providers, who most likely have zero experience handling large scale vaccination programs. Things that can be done on paper for a few hundred will not scale for hundred thousands.

So, yes, there will be growing pains and many providers opting out of this mess altogether.

Pringles likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you know of people in nursing homes that have not been vaccinated it's for one of 4 reasons

1. They refused it when it was offered.

2. Their facility is trash and you should probably have them moved to a better one.

3. The facility has a trash pharmacy servicing them and they should probably switch to a better one.

4. They are set to be vaccinated next week.

By now, pretty much everyone in a senior care facility should have at least had the option to have been vaccinated.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's sad and selfish.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why wouldn't they have gotten it if they were eligible for it and they wanted it?

Isn't the idea to get the most people possible vaccinated?

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pfizer or Moderna if you have a choice when the time comes?

Also, do you think it's a lot safer for elderly to get the vaccine at a hospital vs pharmacy at a grocery store in case of complications? Someone over 80 with asthma?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I had the Pfizer vaccine, it's a third the size of the Moderna vaccine, you get the second shot a week earlier than the Moderna vaccine, and it has shown slightly better results more quickly than the Moderna vaccine.

9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Phase 1a was supposed to be for front line healthcare employees and first responders. It wasn’t supposed to be for the HR assistant that works from home but happens to be employed by a healthcare company.

BigM likes this.
  10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

True, but in the grand scheme of things, these one offs aren't the problem. There just isn't enough supply for everyone that's being targeted. Not saying it's right, but I'm saying the solution is to get supply up, to the hands of providers quicker. And target supply to the providers who are able to schedule people in to get vaccinated.

BigM likes this.
  11. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

You are absolutely correct. I guess my frustration is with hearing that 4000 people are dying a day right now and the elderly can’t even get an appointment because they get booked so quickly. Then I turn around and see these perfectly healthy young people gaming the system...it would be nice to see some sacrifice for the greater good.

superfob likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was told that if you volunteer for a vaccination hub, you could get a vaccination yourself. I was given a link for a sign-up genius set up by Memorial Hermann that had volunteer slots so I know the volunteer part is right -- though the sign-up genius was canceled soon after I saw it and MH said they had to create a new one (where? they didn't say). But they did not confirm to me (I emailed) that volunteers would be vaccinated. Is that a thing?