1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Jack Easterby

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coachbadlee, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I hope you're wrong. I want to continue to root for the team that I've loved since I was a teenager.

I have a history of trusting you, though, so it's a bitter pill, man.

2. SuraGotMadHops

This has got to be the weirdest front office dynamic I have ever heard of. Some guy that doesn't even have a legitimate titled positions with the organization has brainwashed the owner into torpedoing the franchise (further) to save his own ass. This is some conman stuff.

mikol13 and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Rich people don't like to be told what to do. They feel entitled to do what the hell they want.

4. itzIce

itzIce Member

[​IMG]

5. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Cal seems to be in a put my foot down type of mood. Time for reverse psychology, change the hashtag to #JACKEASTERBYEXTENSION. Cal is stupid enough that it may actually work.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm cool with firing Easterby, but honestly I'm just sick and tired of whiny ass overly entitled millionaires throwing temper tantrums.

It makes it easier and easier to just tune the entire team out when the star players act like that.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

We have spent many words on Jack Easterby and Jack Easterby’s fate on this blog since October. I am, frankly, exhausted by this situation. I didn’t get into writing about football to write about front office coups. I could’ve done that in politics just fine if I wanted that heat.

[...]

Deshaun Watson was in an impossible situation because of the standard quarterbacks are held to. Every Texans fan besides the rumored Easterby burner would rather keep Watson than Easterby, and that’s fine. But the old school mentality that players should never dictate anything to the front office was going to make it almost impossible for Watson to do that and not get widely blasted for it. The idea that a black quarterback was going to take out a religious-minded front office VP — on paper — is the stuff that Sean Hannity’s writers room can only dream of.

[...]

Here’s the thing: There’s no amount of words or “agree to disagree” that will ever work here. The thing about agents of chaos, as four years of the Donald Trump White House has taught us, is that there is always a new fire.

When nobody in the building trusts Easterby, what it means is that nuggets like those that appear in the SI piece will continue to leak. Combine that for a national sports media that wants Watson to be a winner, wants him to be a face of the NFL, and has no qualms with trying to “free” Watson from the Texans. What you have mixed together is akin to a rolling boil of canola oil. The job of trying to keep it contained is almost impossible without actually firing Easterby — turning the heat off. Maybe there will be a month where we talk about something else. But, as any Vice Presidents of Communications in the crowd could tell us — boy, the Texans sure could use one of those — eventually when you put something in the pot, scalding oil is splashing out everywhere. What McNair did on Friday is akin to noticing the boil, dumping two packages of fries into it, then running out the door of the house into the Lamborghini and beating a hasty retreat.

[...]

Deshaun Watson posted song lyrics on Twitter yesterday and it became near-unanimously known by fans of the other 31 fanbases that it was about how mad he was. Even after he clarified it, what people took away from it was that he was pissed off. This is a situation that doesn’t happen if Easterby just isn’t part of the Houston Texans organization anymore.

It’s a situation that will repeat itself several times in the months to come, and for as long as Easterby is an employee. It’s a flaming dumpster of a PR disaster, and Cal McNair has an extinguisher.

But have you considered how beautiful the fire is?

[...]

When Cal said in the piece that his religious beliefs don’t dictate how we play football, note that it was not a real answer to the question. Cal is not very good at answering the actual questions that are asked of him, and that’s not a great skill for somebody who has fancied himself a problem-solver. The problem is that the religious beliefs seem to be impacting who gets to stay and help lead a franchise. That is not technically dictating how they play football, but the business around it. It is all semantics in the grand scheme of things — Easterby is here for one reason, and we know what it is.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Exactly what has Cal done since he has taken over to make you think he is not dumb? Going with a GM by committee proved to be dumb, firing Chris Olsen proved to be dumb, promoting BoB to permanent GM proved to be dumb, telling Watson one thing and doing another proved to be dumb, and now he has double-downed on Easterby. The only "logical" thing Cal has done was firing BoB, and that only came after ridiculous amount of harm was already done.

TheRealist137, J.R. and Pringles like this.
  9. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

so far history has not shown that McNair is smart either. I am sorry I don’t trust the front office at all they have made boneheaded decisions the past two years that have jeopardized the future of the Houston Texans. And the head coaching candidates outside of the dc from LA and Bieniemy are laughable at best. I don’t trust anything McNair or Easterby has their imprint on

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What exactly has Watson done to suggest that he's not dumb?

Vouching for BOB for years was a pretty bad look for him.

11. gucci888

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

13. gucci888

No but vouching for the guy who is about to negotiate your next contract is a pretty smart move to me.

primtim24 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So then he's a big part of the problem, that's my point. He got paid, now he's throwing a tantrum.

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So what u want him to do throw a tantrum? The exact sht u are btching and hating him for doing? Make up your mind.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Be free watson.

awc713 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm wanting him to not throw a tantrum and sabotage his own team. Apparently that's asking too much

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So shut and play as your owner fks up the team some more? I guess when we traded Hopkins in a sht trade your idea of a good player is to suck it up and play? Fking hate fans who r blindly loyal even to incompetence.

mikol13 likes this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

So if he demanded BoB get fired years ago you’d also be saying he was throwing a tantrum.

Red.Glare, DatRocketFan and havoc1 like this.