1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets retire Harden's jersey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mig0s, Jan 16, 2021.

?

Should we retire Harden's jersey?

1. Yes

189 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. His jersey already retired at the strip club so it doesnt matter

42 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Somewhere folks got the impression a jersey is retired solely based on rings. Where they got that silly notion is beyond me

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’m talking about with Portland, where his jersey is retired.

YOLO likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

they should keep that same energy for Yao

HP3 likes this.
  4. Possum

Possum Member

Yeah I figured that after a min. Lol. I don’t remember exactly how things went down in Portland. Did he force his way out?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Possum likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

probably after he's been retired for a few years - and his time in Houston is acknowledged as the high time of his career...

if he goes on to play another 6 years for the Nyets and wins a couple championships there - then no...

8. Possum

Possum Member

Obviously you’re referring to me. Not at all. It’s the fact that he was given everything he ever asked for and in the end he spit in our face. He was coddled like a prince. The entire teams travel plans centered around his Titty bar schedule. He wanted Westbrook, done. He wanted Paul, done. He wanted Wall done and after we threw away our future to please him he said that wasn’t good enough. Had he won a championship after all that I could forgive his BS.

HillBoy and Bobbythegreat like this.
  9. rockets13champs

Way tooo late for Tmac too many scrubs have worn the 1 jersey between him and John wall

10. Possum

Possum Member

Did Yao force his way out after the team bent over backwards? Because that was my point. Not that he just didn’t win a championship. Harden forced his way out after killing this teams future. His actions leading up to this are the reason he should not get his jersey retired

11. rockets13champs

You know there’s a lot of rockets other than Hakeem that we retired jersey of. We even retired 11 for Yao. Harden is a no brainer to retire

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

not even. if i was i would have no problem specifically tagging you. there's a number of posts giving out that idea, but if you thought it did then that's your take. and we probably don't need the shaq logic regurgitated

HP3 likes this.
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I mean, that's always the case, isn't it?

Also, for context, they've retired:
    Calvin Murphy
    Dream
    Moses
    Clyde
    Rudy T
    Yao

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

15. caneks

caneks Rookie

for a player thinking the team is not good enough to him and forced the team to trade him?

NO.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yao and Harden were two different players in two different circumstances.

Yao was drafted by the Rockets and brought recognition from the most populous country in the world. Paved the way for dudes like Yi Jianlian to get recognized, too.

I'm not saying Yao's jersey shouldn't have been retired or that Harden's jersey won't be retired. Point is, I don't think you can say "if Yao's jersey was retired, Harden's definitely will be" purely on statistics.

17. Possum

Possum Member

Harden is like the guy married to the perfect woman who always had his back even sold her house and spent her entire fortune to get him out of trouble only to see him leave for a stripper.

minis9 and caneks like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

it doesn't matter if they're two different players. that's just obvious they were. I'm talking about careers here which is 1 of the most important aspects of getting a jersey retired. and it doesn't measure even close to what harden was here. not only does harden have the career numbers here, he had a massive influence on how the games is now played and called in his 8 years here. its a no brainer

19. Possum

Possum Member

No reason to be a douche. I just assumed you were talking to me since you responded to me the immediately made that post.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

still the 2nd greatest Rocket at the end of the day...still gave us a great 8 year run even if it ultimately didn’t result in a title

any hate for him will die down considerably a few years from now, and we all know this

T-Mac quit on the team and intentionally tanked his trade value...he is able to show up to Rockets games no problem...I went to a UH game several years ago, and he was there getting shown mad love and had very many people asking for his autograph...if he had accomplished everything Harden did here, he’d probably get his jersey retired

Tilman wanted Westbrook just as much as Harden did. It is Tilman who forced the trade after crying to other owners about how terrible CP3’s contract was. Tilman is the one who was penny pinching from day 1 having us dumpster diving coming off a WCF appearance for the likes of MCW, Melo, and Ennis who we just ended up giving away to Philly anyways

How many trades have magically reduced payroll and kept us from the tax again?

his 8 year run is why his jersey should get retired

ksny15 and HP3 like this.