1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade not complete yet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCity9495, Jan 15, 2021.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Except that Beal averages about 10 pts/game more and is way more efficient while doing it.

Beal is on a whole other level than Oladipo.

2. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

charlieaustin and napalm06 like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

And Russel Westbrook gets triple doubles.

Numbers can be deceiving.

Oladipo is a much better defender than Beal.

Would you rather have Bam Adebayo who averages 17 PPG or Jerami Grant who averages 25 PPG?

It's 9 games into a season. Oladipo looks spry and is on a winning team playing off ball.

Beal is the best scorer in the NBA on the second worst team in the NBA.

I think Beal is better than Victor Oladipo in a vacuum. I don't think Beal is significantly better if both are healthy. That's not to say Oladipo is that good, it's to say Beal isn't.

Mr Woods, saleem and Denovo like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Relevant part]

Because the Heat acknowledged talks with the Rockets, it means Houston has done its Heat homework.

Victor Oladipo, acquired in the Harden deal by the Rockets and an impending free agent, is known to have a strong interest in the Heat, and there appears to be mutual interest from the Heat.

Still, it’s not as simple as considering whether to trade Tyler Herro for Oladipo straight up (plus cap filler from the Heat). With Herro on his rookie-scale contract, it means the Heat could go into the offseason with Herro and major cap space. Flip Herro now for Oladipo, and both Herro and the bulk of that cap space go away (if Oladipo is retained).

With a slight concession from Oladipo in free agency this offseason, it is possible the Heat can stretch their cap space to eventually wind up with both Herro and Oladipo.

2-to-5. Miami Heat frontrunning odds, according to BetOnline, about where Victor Oladipo will be next season. The bookmaker then lists the Rockets at 5-to-2, the Knicks at 7-to-2, the Raptors at 5-to-1 and the 76ers at 15-to-2.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

gotcha... BUT

Have the Rockets down a physical exam on LeVert yet? I’m guessing no.

so even if the Oladipo pet is voided, the Nets pet isnt 100% done yet.

unlikely the Rockets find anything in a LeVert physical that would let them void a deal. If they really didn’t want him they could make something up but that would likely be challenged and not be viewed well. And considering to me LeVert vs Oladipo is basically a wash in terms of what they get, I think you just go with LeVert at that point.

but in any case all anyone wants to see is the new players on the new teams so let’s just get it moving lol

7. aelliott

The Rockets/Nets/Cavs trade has been finalized.

8. aelliott

Not sure what WB or Triple doubles have to do with anything. Do you not agree that being able to generate substantially more points on much better efficiency is important?

Ridiculous comparison. Grant has never averaged more than 13.6 pts/gm for a season. Also Bam is a 10 reb and 5 assist guy.

You are acting like Oladipo is the ultimate winner. He's been in the playoffs 3 times in his career. He's averaged 20 pts/game once.

Anthony Davis didn't lead the Pelicans anywhere but he sure helped the Lakers last year.

Oladipo at his best was no where near as good as Beal.

Reeko, Richie_Rich and Rocket River like this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Do you not agree that defense is important?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/?player=Bradley Beal&season=2021

216th out of 252 players. Atrocious.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think Oladipo is an 8/10 player. 9/10 on Defense and a 7.5/10 on offense.

I think Beal is an 8.5/10 player. 10/10 on offense and a 6/10 on defense.

I think Oladipo is a borderline all star and I think Beal is an all star.

I don't think Beal is a superstar is all I'm trying to say. I think he's top 25 but not top 10.

Beal, while younger, has been in the NBA longer than Oladipo.

Oladipo has been traded three times now. He hasn't been given the same runway.

I think Oladipo in 2017-2018 had a better season than Beal has ever had. He was the first option and he was as solid as they come on a winning team. Beal hasn't been the first option on a winning team. When he is, let me know.

Beal is the better player but you cannot re-write history because the media tells you that he's better than James Harden (which they are doing)

#190 treyk3, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Denovo likes this.
  11. aelliott

Is defense important? Yes. Is offense more important? Yes.

The current rules make it very difficult to defended a talented offensive player. No matter how good the defender is. They aren't likely to shut down a talented offensive player.

Ben Simmons is an elite defender. First team all defense last year. We've all heard how great he is. He can guard 1 to 5. He's as good as it gets. Yet last year in his only game against us, Harden dropped a 44 point triple double on him. This year Beal hit up Philly for a 60 point game.

Unless there's a rule change, offensive players will always dominate defensive players. Obviously, an offensive player can have an off night shooting the ball but the rules favor the offense by a lot.

The days of a defender being able to just lock down his man are over. Even if you could prevent these guys from scoring, today's teams would just run pick and roll and force a switch.

Like it or not, in the current game offense matters much more than defense.

Mr Woods, Reeko, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. opticon

opticon Member

Quad injuries are no joke. A quad injury ended Barkley's career. Westbrook is a shell of his former self because his quad just wont return to peak performance.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We just went through eight years of defending Harden's god awful perimeter defense. Beal is just as bad there and doesn't have the size to guard big men. There's a reason why Washington scores 200 PPG but can not win.

saleem likes this.
  15. aelliott

If you want to believe that Oladipo is a borderline all star the ok. That's your opinion. Likewise, if you believe that Oladipo has had a season better than Beals 30 pts/ 4 reb/ 6 / 57.9TS% then I'll disagree.

If Washington trades Beal then they'll get a ton for him. I don't believe that's ever been true of Opadipo. Do you also believe that Oladipo will get a max deal this offseason?

Not sure what Harden has to do with this conversation.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'll let you know what I think Oladipo is getting paid this offseason after the trade is complete. I think he's getting a 2 year extension before the deal is consumated.

Beal will get a king's ransom.

Beal is better than Oladipo.

I wouldn't want either one on a max deal as my #1 option.

I'd prefer Oladipo at $20-25 Million a year for 3 years over Beal on a 5 year max.

joshuaao likes this.
  17. aelliott

saleem and xaos like this.
  18. aelliott

Hopefully you don't have any aspirations to be an NBA GM.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don't thank you!

I'm also done responding to you.

That's an incredibly rude thing to say.

Beal at a max would prevent a championship team being formed in Houston (maybe not Miami, but the Rockets have Wall at a max deal so smaller contracts are needed around him)

Oladipo at $20 M would not result in a championship but it's shorter term and more moveable if he underperforms.

joshuaao likes this.
  20. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Kinda what I thought but just didn’t wanna go down the rabbit hole looking for stuff.

All that being said, will be interesting to see/understand Stone’s vision. We are acquiring FRPs and now Oladipo expiring if this holds true.

Maybe laying groundwork for EGo, PJ trades with picks attached to get younger and more athletic.

RustyHarden likes this.