1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Trade not complete yet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCity9495, Jan 15, 2021.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Maybe they won’t give up Herro but that means they aren’t getting Oladipo this year. I’m almost certain that Oladipo will not be a member of the Heat unless Herro was a Rocket. Precious Achiuwa would be a great piece for PJ though. Maybe Precious + Leonard for PJ makes both sides happy.

joshuaao and ApacheWarrior like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No, understood.i addressed this in post #50 of the [Minnesota and PJ Tucker] thread.

Thank you for trying to make it clearer to others.

I don’t always post clear thoughts at night or early in the morning.

#162 ApacheWarrior, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    BamBam likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

My thought is that Riley is waiting for Washington to continue its implosion and offer Herro, Precious, Nunn, Iggy, Olynyk and 3 1sts for Beal.

4. Rockets4Life13

They don't have 3 1sts, they also wouldn't give up Precious, Herro and Robinson for Harden, so not sure if they'd be willing to part with so many assets for Beal.

5. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Does anyone know why no one is wanting to play here now? At least that's how it seems with the reports neither Simmons or Oladipo want to come here.

Is is Tillman? Or Wall and Boogie? I know we aren't a sexy option like Miami but we aren't Sacramento either. We have some pretty nice strip clubs and our beaches are almost Miami quality if you close your eyes and hold your nose. I'm ok with Harden leaving. But I'm not ok with ending up on the list of places players don't want to play.

Mr Woods likes this.
  6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

How much do you expect Oladipo to get on his next deal? Miami has the ability to create almost enough cap space for a 10 year max player this offseason. That's way more than I expect Oladipo to get.

Take a look at Miami's contracts. At the end of the year, the only guaranteed salaries on the books are Butler, Bam, Herro, Precious and Okpala ($1.8m).

Everyone else is either expiring or non guarenteed. Additionally, the cap hold for Robinson and Nunn is small. Even if they reach the requirements to be "starters", it still less than $5m each.

I agree with boston84, I think Riley is looking for much more than Oladipo. Regardless, they are set up to have a ton of flexibility. He's got plenty of non guaranteed deals for salary matching but if he needs cap space he can just waive them.

I doubt that Riley will give you much for Oladipo's expiring. You certainly aren't going to get Herro of Precious.

Reeko and Chamillionaire like this.
  7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

We aren’t title contenders, that’s why.

8. steddinotayto

The difference is that Beal is 27 and has proven he can play off ball if needed. I don't know where you're getting your info that Miami don't have 3 1sts to give because they can easily send out 2024, 2026, and 2028 1sts. Or if the NBA allows them to send out the 2022 1st they can do that instead of the 2028 1st.

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Has this been posted? Maybe there is some fire with this smoke? Tucker + Oladipo is not a bad return for Herro but can understand why Miami wouldn’t do it. Maybe they value Oladipo’s defense over Herro’s? Maybe Nunn + Precious gets it done? Who knows

joshuaao, sirjesse and Le$$ like this.
  10. Rockets4Life13

I'm pretty sure I've read something that miami can't send out as many draft picks as BKN so they would've had to give up a lot of prospects and didn't want that. Maybe you're right, idk, im just pretty sure I've read something about their draft picks.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think that's a reasonable conclusion to make. I also don't think Oladipo is actually that big of a step down from Beal. It's all based on perceived market value. That's not to say that Oladipo is some franchise changing player. I just don't view Beal as that guy either. People in the media were trying to equate Beal to Harden and I couldn't believe it.

The only major difference between Victor and Brad in reality is one has "injury concerns." If Oladipo plays at the level he's been at for the first 9 games of the season for the rest of the year and his health concerns go away, I'd prefer him at $20/25 Million a year for the next 3 years to Beal at a 35Million a year for the next five years. Beal has yet to put up big numbers as the #1 guy and been anything better than a losing team. I really don't understand why Washington is so bad.

12. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Good point. In that case we are hoarding draft picks with the hopes of landing a future super star or two? I'm fine if that's the game we are playing now. Feel like I might as well pull out the Betamax tapes of Luis Scola Chuck Hayes teams and watch reruns of those games until we contend again. The best non-contenting team ever IMHO

13. steddinotayto

They don't own their 2021 or 2023 1sts that's for sure. YOU may be right about the number of picks. I still think Riley would send out everyone on his roster save for Butler and Adebayo to get Beal without even blinking.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

They hired a coach that couldn't get a team of Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Serge Ibaka to more than one Finals appearance. Granted ownership made the fatal mistake of trading Harden way too early but Brooks was given 3 more years with KD, Russ, and Serge and still couldn't get it done.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Like Morey said.

The difference between a good coach and a bad coach in the regular season is 5 wins.

I don't think they blow it up this season but maybe during the offseason if they can't right the ship into a playoff seed.

16. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

There is no chance of a Oladipo for Herro swap. Similar in output, Oladipo is expensive and expiring and 8 years older. Maybe they are holding out for a deal with MIA but it wouldn’t include Herro IMO (I wish...).

17. steddinotayto

I'd like to know what his thoughts are now on how valuable a good coach is vs a great coach during the playoffs. MDA was a damn good coach in the regular season but come postseason.....

treyk3 likes this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I never liked that line to be honest. I think Morey was a bit too stuck on some of his beliefs and it hindered the growth of the team during the pre Tilman Harden era. Then the whole meddling owner business kind of changed any sort of beliefs he had into cost savings.

joshuaao and steddinotayto like this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Can you post the article?

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

The value of getting either Herro or MPJ for 6-8 years (2-3 years on rookie deal plus rookie extension) can’t be understated. That’s the kind of foundational piece that gets you right on the rebuilding track.

If we walk away from the Harden deal with one of MPJ or Herro, plus the mountain of picks/swaps and cap flexibility, I’m a very satisfied fan.

sydmill, Mr Woods, Shark44 and 2 others like this.