1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers felt Houston did not call them back for a counteroffer before Brooklyn deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 15, 2021.

1. riko

riko Member

And so did MDA according to Woj on his podcast. Dantoni along with Durant was encouraging Marks to go for it.

HP3 and Jontro like this.
  2. Sonicbun8

Sonicbun8 Member

F Morey.

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

The smart move would have been to let them know and have a counter offer. Tilman has a grudge against Morey because he sneaked his way out. That’s fine but they should’ve let them increase or up their offers.

Knowing Morey, he would’ve given way more he was confident before because the Nets looked good but after they started losing and the Kyrie situation it changed.
    It came out that Ben Simmons and The other players were told to expect a trade the day before and that day of the deal.

Morey over paid a bit to get Cp3 who he liked
    He overpaid for Russ who he didn’t want
    He would have overpaid for sure for his guy, he loves Harden. Once he knew what the Nets were offering he would have offer the farm.

Even if Brooklyn told the Rockets, that was their last offer, to take it or they were out. They wouldn’t have been out just because of the uncertainty with Kyrie.
    The smart move when doing a deal is to inform both sides of the situation. It would only benefit the one who’s selling if they have a bidding.

One should also leave personal grudges out of deals. Just look for the best offer for you or the company.

What if the Sixers had offer a lot more than the Rockets asked or thought they could get for Harden. An offer they couldn’t resist even if they never wanted to deal Harden to the Nets. An offer so good for the franchise future the Nets would have never been able to counter.

We will never know because of tilman

or We could have gotten 1 or 2 more picks instead of the swap or something extra from the Nets even if the never intended to make a deal with the Sixers.

Dumb Tilman

I never wanted us to deal Harden to the sixers because Of what and how Morey left.
    But I would have been fine if we had gotten the kings ransom or more.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Probably a lot like Horry and Bullard did. You can either sulk, or suck it up and work hard to make the team better like those two guys did.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

rox fans should really drop this team. stop supporting the rox until tillmen is gone.

even if rox get high frp for 5 consecutive years, who's to say tillmen won't intervene? time to support htine's real team. go texans and trade watson!

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dynamo is dynamic.

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

hardon is dutch? i is confuse

HP3 likes this.
  8. mightybosstone

Whether they called back Philly or not is irrelevant to me. But I truly hope they didn't leave a superior package on the table out of spite.

Regardless of what you think of Simmons, he's a tremendous asset. Whether you keep him or trade him for a ton of picks, he would have been a huge get.

So I'm REALLY hoping Philly's draft compensation just didn't compare to Brooklyn's. That's the only way I can look at this and not feel like they made a colossal mistake.

#168 mightybosstone, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  9. bmelo

bmelo Member

So they made sure Simmons knew he was being shopped and backed off just to get on Moreys nerves

Ramo$e and Kevooooo like this.
  10. Rockets4Life13

I think similar to what we had to give up for chris paul, if oladipo shows up and plays well.

S&T is a weird situation, the team that wants the player really has no way of getting him vis free agency so the team giving up the player has leverage - meanwhile the player will just walk if there’s no deal for a S&T so the team trying to get the player has leverage too.

11. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Tilman is really a disaster.

Him becoming a billionaire should really open peoples eyes to what a joke it is to see people ‘s wealth as their value. And in general what it takes to become rich.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe Stone knew all the Morey tricks and knew Morey wouldn't give him anything better than the Nets deal. :D

Jokes aside. It's interesting to negotiate with someone who has been working closely with you for so long. It's almost like trying to make a business deal with your ex.

Ramo$e likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Divorce settlement with no lawyers.

Easy likes this.
  14. bmelo

bmelo Member

Rookie Gm Stone just finnesed „the best gm in the NBA”. He used philly offer and Ben Simmons name to juice Brooklyn from everything they had and made Morey look like a fool in a process. Anybody saying Philly deal is better then tell me what to do with Ben Simmons? He at his peak is Draymond Green with penetration at most. Cant build around him, cant win right now with him... on of the several picks(we will get more for Oladipo) can result in some diamond player(or several). Good job Rafael. Im starting to think he was pulling strings all along and Morey was just the coordinator/face as we see Stone doesnt like to show to say the least lol

Ramo$e likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As I noted way early in the thread... the issue is t Rockets return. The Rockets got the Nets best offer. An improved offer from Philly wouldn’t have allowed them to go back to the Nets and ask for more. They got the best they couldn’t get.

so the question becomes would the Philly offer have been better.

clearly there are differing opinions on this board but my opinion is a healthy and engaged Oladipo is a VERY solid get but more importantly the draft picks couldn’t be beat and the optionality of Dupo couldn’t be beat.... absent the Sixers offering Embiid instead of Simmons... which wasn’t happening.

the only issue is pissing of agents for future deals.

being mean and misleading to DM and the Sixers??? Lol who cares.

Ramo$e likes this.
  16. elvis

elvis Member

We literally got every pick Brooklyn could trade. There wasn’t anything better that Philly could have offered.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Reports already out that Tilman was not dealing with Philly/Morey no matter what so this is a non story or one of Daryl just having his ego hurt and being petty with the release to smear the Rockets some more.

Daryl we don’t always get what we want - except if you’re James Harden.

Ramo$e likes this.
  18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Harden was never going to Philly. Ever.

19. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Morey got STONED. 76s had ample enough times. What was the counter offer? They would finally throw in Maxey? Idk 8 picks are sweet, four of them unprotected is not bad for not having to deal with fat Elvis that tried to stiff us and still trying to low ball us. He let what he considered the "greatest offensive player since MJ" Get away because he's a idiot. If someone doesn't want to deal with you.... You better come with a offer I can't refuse.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why anyone would want philly’s picks over Brooklyn’s blows my mind. Everyone on the nets is old, those picks have a WAY better chance to be good then anything Philly had to offer

IvanLCPM likes this.