1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers felt Houston did not call them back for a counteroffer before Brooklyn deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 15, 2021.

1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Morey had like two months to put his deal together for Harden and close to a full day where a deal one way or another looked imminent. If there was some drastically better deal Philly was willing to do Stone didn’t hear that sucks for us but that’s probably more on Morey trying to get too cute than Stone or Tilman.

TexAg713 and csnerd84 like this.
  2. blackistan

blackistan Member

Yea mainly because he's an expiring contract

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you know that’s what it was. Morey thought there was no way we wouldn’t want Simmons and he thought we were bluffing about Maxey.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Honestly I like this deal better than Simmons and protected picks.

Oladipo isn't viewed as a franchise player , just another asset to dump at the deadline. Consider him a mid to late first round pick.

The picks & swaps from Brooklyn in 25-27 and beyond being completely unprotected are fairly likely to be lotto types , Both James and KD will be Old by NBA standards and they may not even be there more than the 2 years on each of their contracts.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

We would've also gone from a disgruntled superstar in Harden to a disgruntled star in Simmons. And that wouldn't have been fun either.

Rockets4Life13, Easy and Corrosion like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think the potential of those later Brooklyn picks is what those who like the deal are looking at .... compared to Simmons who really doesn't fit here.

I wanted a young , emerging star but that deal just didn't seem to be out there.

This was a total reset. I'm Ok with it.

Rockets4Life13 and ElPigto like this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I bet China paid Tilman to screw Daryl.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

We had all the leverage and time. Durant really wanted Harden, Irving was gone. And you didnt even try to leverage the Sixers more. Ridiculous

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What's he really worth in a S&T situation anyway ?

I don't see getting back more than a mildly protected first round pick & whatever junk contract(s) the receiving team has to match with and I'm not so sure I wouldn't prefer to move him this year instead - between now and the deadline. The contracts you would have to take in return are much smaller than if he gets a max deal.

BamBam likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Where is this coming from re: Oladipo?

(That they see.him as a young franchise cornerstone)

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This team is set up nice as hell for the future now. If they can get a 1st for Oladipo. Trade Tucker for a 2nd. Dump Gordon (hopefully he can get some nice stats now ) and somehow manage to get a top four pick this year.

you have to be patient. But you could probably sign a few FA’s the next few years then. And build around Wood or trade him and pick to perhaps move up to high draft pick. If done right this team could be great. You just can’t screw up all your draft picks lol

roslolian likes this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That whole situation is very volatile. I have one year to hope Harden does well. After that I will be hoping they lose every night haha

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Why do people keep chanting this without backing? Trey called the trade. You should listen to him.

HP3 likes this.
  14. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

His friend told him about the trade, that's a completely different situation (no disrespect to you Trey). Of course the FO is going to say they view Oladipo as a franchise player, they want to up his trade value. Dude is as good as gone come March.

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

So, I should trust your word about a player over the guy who called the trade before anyone else? Got it.

HP3 likes this.
  16. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

I think that the plan was to send Simmons to Sacramento for Buddy Hield and M.Bagley

17. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

It's not rocket science my guy, he's an expiring contract. They went out of their way to to acquire LaVert just to trade him to Indiana for Oladipo. Why do you think Indiana was ok with trading Victor? Because he is an expiring contract and he wants to get paid this off-season. Meanwhile they trade him for a guy that's almost as good in LaVert and have him under contract for 3 seasons. Now IF the Rockets go on some crazy winning streak and Victor likes it here and balls out and informs the FO that he'll more than likely resign with us in the off-season then that's another story. But that's a big if....

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I mean, if your offer isn't communicated, that's on you.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

before we traded Harden i was like ..."as long as it's not for Simmons or crap Brooklyn picks". Now i'm like, "getting Ben Simmons and picks isn't a bad return". I really hate our trade.

HP3 likes this.
  20. sungjina

sungjina Member

That is hilarious. Morey got trolled so hard lmao.