1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Tilman Fertitta ownership different than Les Alexander ownership?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2021.

1. lalala902102001

Les let his basketball people make basketball decisions; Tilman thinks he knows better than his basketball people.

Richie_Rich, tycoonchip and HP3 like this.
  2. likestohypeguy

Has donkeypunch posted an increasingly offensively huge face shot of him itt yet?

I wouldn't dare, but gets me every time.

3. HardenVolumeOne

delete

#163 HardenVolumeOne, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Both Cuban and Tilman are loud mouth. The difference is, Cuban is like a kid who doesn't know when to shut up. Tilman is the kind of guy who talks a lot and loudly because he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

And Cuban is not a penny pincher. He might not always make the right decisions. (Letting Nash go was his biggest mistake. Signing Parsons was probably second.) But you can't say that he does not genuinely want to win. Tilman on the other hand only gives lip service about winning.

5. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

Ariza got Suns Oubre and Austin Rivers. But I'm sure James Ennis on a minimum contract, whom they had to attach a 2nd round pick to trade to duck the luxury tax at dealine was the better option. Remember how we sat Danuel House for 3 months that season until the last day of the season just to stay under the tax. You're probably the same type of moron who parrots the narrative that the Rockets gave Harden everything he wanted. No the Nets did...

6. fattz

fattz Member

Less was always adding and never would break down the team into dysfunction. Less was tight but all about the growth without losing what he already had gained. Never bottom out and loose the overseas marketing and world wide exposure is the biggest difference. Less bought a championship level team and sold it as a championship level team and never ever would put a less than product out there.

tycoonchip likes this.
  7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespo...ce-to-ransom-over-russell-westbrook-move/?amp

This narrative that Tillman pushed for the trade is ridiculous. Harden pushed for that trade. Everyone says doesn’t care about winning is so far off from the truth and brings up memories from this board about Crane where the same opinion was held. I don’t give a damn how much debt he is in...if he is even HALF of the degenerate this board makes him out to be, we will be 100% fine in the future because degenerates don’t like losing.

8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

LOL if he didn’t care about winning at all...why is Wall still on this roster? Why even sign Wood? Why wouldn’t we just go full TANK mode and go for a top 4 pick so we keep it?

This is the most delusional group of people I’ve ever seen. Everyone spewing this nonsense because of their personal opinion of the guy but zero facts to back it up. Oh and the two dorks Harden and Morey...how many rings do they have again?

I don’t know how everyone here isn’t excited - we have a roster that could be dangerous if everyone is healthy and we FINALLY have a roster free of stupid signings and/or trades...you know like the Ryan Anderson one that in all honesty is the REAL reason we didn’t beat the Warriors. Oh but wait that’s Tillman’s fault too...

Edit: And if this Wall and Cousins experiment doesn’t work out, we have options to do whatever we want with a future star and one of the best value signings in recent memory

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

10. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

You want the truth? He would have checked a different box while voting this election and isn't a loud mouth, obnoxious person. This board needs to let it go already...he is what he is and he will be the owner until he dies. I don't believe much out of the guys mouth either but I do believe when he said he would do anything before selling the Rockets that he meant that.

Truthfully, I don't buy into this him not wanting to win thing either...it shows everyone here needs to take a business class because winning and turning a REAL profit in professional sports, especially outside the MLB (no salary cap), goes hand in hand.

If anything, we'd have already overpaid Tucker and wouldn't have had room to sign Wood had Les been around and Morey still running the team.

11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/12/0...ade-trade-ultimatum-to-rockets-last-year-too/

Did everyone just choose NOT to believe that or what? Someone please give me a legit answer here.

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

THANK YOU! And truthfully Morey KNEW what he was doing when he tweeted that - and if he didn't, he clearly isn't the savaant everyone here makes him out to be because even I would have known what was coming after that.

He did that to save his own ass and it was the perfect move as he became impossible to fire without them going up in flames first otherwise everyone would have blamed Tillman for firing him for a social justice cause. Yet, comically Morey stood with Hong Kong until the NBA told him to sit down...which he didn't take long to do. Morey is a coward and last time I checked has as many rings as us.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

• Les let Morey play his game and had a yes or no final say at the end.
    • shillman has his dirty, greasy hands on all things and wont let anybody do their job as intended.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Another logical take here. Everyone remember the Luis Scola and Kevin Martin years? Or how about the Jeremy Lin signing that was all about the $$$? Being around a .500 NBA team and/or a 6-8 seed every year is literally the WORST place you want to be in all of professional sports.

I'm so ready to actually draft and develop some home grown talent but appears I'm the only one excited to have a ton of first rounders finally with a young Wood looking like a superstar. Silas is a good coach too, I loved the signing then and I'm sticking to that now. He's the first ACTUAL basketball coach this team has had in...I don't know even know, when did JVG leave again?

Bobbythegreat and Salvy like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, he didn't.

Morey wanted to tank to hasten the rebuild, Les refused and demanded Morey keep the team in .500 purgatory so that team profits weren't hurt.

Morey would have done things completely different if he wasn't handcuffed by Les.... it's just that no one hated Les for non-basketball reasons so there wasn't a much shrieking about it.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Les set parameters but overall he let Morey do what he wanted without going over the cap. Just less interference with Les.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think if you have to ask this question you are a casual.

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He set parameters that no matter what you do it can't hurt team profit. Les completely handcuffed Morey because profit was the ONLY thing Les cared about.

Also, Les would have fired Morey on the spot if he was the owner when Morey pissed off China. Keeping that China money flowing was far more important to Les than anything else.

The fact that Les interfered considerably more is excused however because the types whining the loudest about Fertitta don't irrationally hate Les for non-basketball reasons the way they do Fertitta.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Before Lin, Leslie brought in YAO for the China money. He catered to China even after Yao left. Leslie literally used The Rockets to grow his fortune and jet out with the trophies. He kept bringing old stars just to put people in the seats and give them hope, I just never felt Leslie cared at all for the team and any desire he had of the team being good was for the money.

We flat out got lucky with Harden, no one knew. Not even Harden himself. Tilman gets the blame for the absolute disaster Morrey left, they saw what GS was doing and turned it up to 11. Even watching Harden begin his tenure with Houston, the man was a different player. He literally had a bag full of tricks and moves. He was not dribble dribble step back three Harden, that is what Morey turned him into. Morey not only put Houston in a position where they had no future, no picks no young stars but he also established the absurdity of just shooting threes.

Don't get me wrong, Morey almost lucked into an NBA finals but man he absolutely destroyed our team's future. Now Tilman gets the blame because every move is a prospect/money oriented one. Well yes, we don't want to be mediocre for ever like in Leslie's days. Its time to save money for the right players of the future instead of paying anyone that is just going to want to jump ship ala Harden/Durant/Simmons and so on.

If Tilman does end up keeping The Rockets at the bottom for years and years due to money I will change my mind but I doubt he will. He is still a businessman and his investment will not grow if The Rockets don't grow either. I do believe we are finally in a new era, a new chapter.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

o_O

You do know contracts are guaranteed, right? I am 100% sure Tilman doesn't want to pay Wall 40M a year. But what can he do? Wall's contract is one of the worst, second only to the guy we traded for him. Believe me. If Tilman could get rid of Wall without getting back another equally bad contract, he would.