1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers felt Houston did not call them back for a counteroffer before Brooklyn deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 15, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Because there are other reports saying Tillman didnt want to trade with Morey. And the very obvious James Harden stuff Morey was doing on social media.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  2. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Peach! That's what they don't understand. You traded Allen and LaVert for another FRP for Oladipo and are going to flip Oladipo for another pick or two. It was never about thinking Oladipo was a franchise player lol.

FR0497 likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I wouldn't go that far.

The Roco for Wood + 2 first was a pretty great deal.

Tate/Brown have been good

And while at the time I hated it, WB for Wall + 1st is looking okay.

That being said, the importance of all of these deals combined don't compare to the significance of trading Harden - that was the one of the most important trades in franchise history, and I think it was a fail.

MettaWorldPete and HP3 like this.
  4. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Morey may get his opportunity to trade or sign Harden again after 2 to 3 years if it doesnt work out with Nets or he may go after Leonard if Clippers team fall aparts.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I’m no longer mad we didn’t go with the Simmons offer. None of this really matters if the owner is playing from the Donald Sterling playbook.

HP3 likes this.
  6. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

I agree the timeline is a bit confusing if Houston is essentially conceding the next 3-5 years, but what doesn't make sense is implying that Tate was a good signing, but not Wood (for the timeline).

They're the same age, born one month apart.

7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

His TS is absolute garbage. I think the one year he’s been solid was the one right before he got injured.

HP3 likes this.
  8. vick

vick Member

To damn bad.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Oh wow I thought Tate was the same age as Woods.....oh my god man. What are we doing here. What is the direction here? When Tate and Woods are in their primes they are gonna leave because we arent gonna pay them. None of this makes sense. What could we possibly do in 3 years man.

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

“Sorry Daryl, we were on my private jet headed to Cabo, no reception”

sirjesse likes this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I am a fan of Simmons...and if the Rockets plan to compete from now, they're dumb as **** to have passed him, although now that i think about it, Oladipo could actually fit better then SImmons with Wall...so, i don't know lol.

Regardless, if they do plan a rebuild, i think they made the right call all things considered, i doubt the Sixers where giving us the same haul of picks with no pritections etc, and even if that was the case, betting on the Nets is the right call on that front since they have a much older core and no young talent to develop on the roster.

Also, everything points to Simmons and Rich Paul having no interest in Houston so, **** them, maybe they were going to ask out in a year and we don't even know what's the market for Simmons, my guess is good but not great, and that's probably going to get worse going forward if he won't develop a jumper, and when it'll become more clear that Rich Paul will want to pair him with Davis in LA after Lebron retires.

12. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Say some more on it J.R. I want to listen, and the people need to hear.
    would you not trade anything for your son?

ipaman likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Chance at landing a once in a lifetime player, again...

Maybe, come with your correct offer the first time Durrel.

sirjesse likes this.
  14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Morey made it to the one-yard line.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If they didn’t want to give up Maxey then the Nets deal was much better. Building around Simmons no thank you.

Denovo, ipaman and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  16. Rockets4Life13

Daryl tried to lowball as he always does and fked up. I hope this is the last news from Daryl we will hear.

I, for one, think this was a great deal. Control over a teams draft for 7 years sounds great. Things change so often in the NBA. We maybe end up with 3 top 5 picks, who knows. The jury on this deal is still out but i like the gamble over getting shitty first round picks from philly, who Morey will make sure stay competetive for years.

Durant may walk in 1 or 2 years, so might Harden. If that happens, we get our Tatum's and Jaylen Brown's, just as the celtics did.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I don't get it. The Sixers shouldn't "feel" that Houston did not call them back. Either we did or we didn't. This isn't something you have a "feeling" about.

In any event, I tend to think the trade was not that far off what was being reported. It doesn't seem like our FO was prioritizing getting any player of talent back, and was probably looking to swing Simmons just as they swung Levert to Indiana for an expiring contract with Oladipo.

If I'm guessing, I don't think this has anything to do with our FO being bitter with Morey, and likely has more to do with finding a match for an expiring contract with a third team. Indiana was the perfect fit and Oladipo the perfect player who would be a good salary fill but still cut our overall spend enough and come off the books at the end of the season. Indiana likely preferred Levert over Simmons for multiple reasons: Levert is a better scorer, has more upside, is being paid half of Simmons salary (who will be making over $40 million in the last year of his contract!), and fills the hole Oladipo will leave behind vs. trying to displace Brogdon who is having the best season of his career right now scoring 22/game and is shooting 46% from 3-point range.

As much as the media narrative and news stories tried to devalue Harden due to off-court issues, this entire episode exposed the lack of value Ben Simmons holds in the eyes of most front offices. His stats in year 4 are worse than his rookie year stats, and he has showed no improvement in shooting something as simple as free throws. He is a final product and basically the same player he was as a rookie with a few nice skills but never shows up in the playoffs and is awkward to organize a roster around.

18. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Oh one added note: I actually don't think our FO cared much for Maxey. It's not like we actually acquired anyone we're looking to keep around from Brooklyn, and the best young players we got back were traded immediately as part of the deal. That we received back Dante Exum (expiring contract) and Radion Kurucs (expiring contract) speaks volumes about our interest in actually improving the roster from this deal.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. OpportunityCost

Tilman was like, not today Morey.

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Daryl playing chess with too many dimensions.